• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime idea, but draw like crap.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I have this really cool anime idea, but I draw and type like crap.
Damnit, only the first day and I get stuck between a rock and I hard spot. Anyone who wants to listen to my idea and exploit it, Reply, and ask separately ( title, plot, etc.)

[EDIT - Use fewer emoticons. -C]
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Ok. First of all, cut the emoticons. Making a billion of them won't make anyone anymore enthusiastic to help you (and will probably drive many people away). Also, don't explcitly tell people to reply, as it's pretty much intended, and it makes you sound like a troll.

So anyway, in reply to your post, I have no other advice other than to learn how to draw. Really. No one ever said it was gonna be easy (it took me years to get a moderately decent technique going). It's unrealistic to think that other people will want to draw for you (unless you got a good flow of cash going, which changes quite a lot), especially if you can't go as far as typing out something to start with.

Basically, learn to draw and type. Otherwise, give up now.

Another thing is, this type of post isn't usually taken very well on this board. Many people are probably gonna crush your dreams (and in your current stated position, rightfully so), because to get something out, especially an anime, is incredibly difficult, and not incredibly realistic. Many people get good ideas for stories. Many people admittingly have very good ideas and a decent talent for writing and drawing. Sadly though, the vast majority of these people will likely never make it big, but most of them are fine with that. Something like a webcomic or doujinshi is more reasonible than making an anime on a one second impulse. And also, unless you're Japanese, and very well talented in either drawing or writing, your chances for making an anime in specific, is absurdly slim. And even given the stated conditions are true, chances are still very slim.

So my suggestions: learn to draw and write, and either be satisfied with an underground fan driven production, or if you're extremely motivated... well... that's beyond us. You're unlikely to be able to get much help on a online message board. Read, educate yourself, develop some skills, and if you still have some extreme motivation, then you'll know what to do by then. But don't be suprised by constant rejection or failure. Rather learn from it.

I can see this won't get much postive feedback. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Another thing is, this type of post isn't usually taken very well on this board. Many people are probably gonna crush your dreams

Was that my cue?

Anyway, I have a dozen "good ideas" floating around my head, why in the world would I possibly take time out of my schedule to work on yours'? Ideas are a dime a dozen, you tell me all about your ideas and in ten minutes or less I will come up with at least ten different ideas that hold as much if not more promise than whatever lame-brained stuff you thought up. Or maybe you think we should all get together and make sure that you succeed. Sure, boss, we'll all slave night and day doing all the real work of drawing, writing, typing, whathaveyou; you just sit back in your lay-z-boy, sip your cappuccino and come up with more great "ideas." Here's a smiley for you. Rolling Eyes
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Another thing is, this type of post isn't usually taken very well on this board. Many people are probably gonna crush your dreams

Was that my cue?

Indeed it was. =P

...as well as for the undenible many others who will follow. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Being 14 year old, you're still young and full of imagination that you think is "cool" and make a good anime like space robot shooting laser out of their ass. I remember I had tons of cool idea when I was young but now when I look back at it, they were pretty lame and immature.

But the point is that if anybody with remarkable drawing skill, he or she would prefer to use their own idea than to borrow someone else. They're better off marketing their talent for themself in hopes of being a manga artist one day. But if you do have money, I"m sure you can get somene to draw your "manga".

But I think you're talking about anime which is impossible to do with just 2 people, so you need more experiece in learning how the world works first. Very Happy
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
My only comment is this: drop the "anime" part of your idea. If you're truly serious about developing this concept, then forget about ever turning it into an "anime," unless you have a shit-ton of money and some serious connections in the Japanese entertainment industry.

Take an art course, learn professional comic art or go to an art college that has an illustration or animation major (perhaps even graphic design, though I think that's stretching it). Then take that education and either develop your concepts in freelance or try to get with an existing comic or animation studio in your own country. Have it produced as a Western (as in North American/European) comic or cartoon series instead of wasting your time & money trying to weasel into Japan's rather overcrowded & underpaid market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Go to sleep and dream about it, because that's as far as you're going to get for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Damn guys, can't you cut the hostility a little bit? Rolling Eyes
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Now, if you do suppose you have some semblance of writing talent (though all the emoticons used leaves me doubtful), you may want to learn to give some real depth and shape to your "idea." If that's the case, and you feel you lack in the areas of drawing, I suggest focusing on writing instead. That means paying attention in English class my friend - and look at composition and expository writing as well.

If after all this, you become successful in your writing, you might be able to sell your stories, etc. and get them made onto screen in some form - but not likely anime.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:

I don't see how what I said was hostile in the least. Now some other people, yes, but then that's probably because these kids that wanna make their own anime are rather frequent, so re-explaining gets tiring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:

Were internet message boards ever known as the friendliest place on Earth? I think everyone is being exceptionally nice, what do you expect?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:

Eh, a lot of the comment wasn't even hostile, if it was it would have been worst with tons of cuss words. Sometimes the truth hurt though. But if you expect us to sugar coat our comment and live in happy fairy land, sorry this is the internet.

Nagisa wrote:
but then that's probably because these kids that wanna make their own anime are rather frequent, so re-explaining gets tiring.

Can't blame the kids though, so full of imagination. It's very ideal to dream of creating your own anime/movie/videogame or become a movie start. It's not impossible if you work hard at it, but most end up serving me food at McDonals.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Become the best writer or artist you can be learn all you can learn. Your fourteen, take that as an advantage, who knows in ten years with the spread and infulence of Anime, there might be an American animation industry worthy of those talents.
There are certainly a lot of dreamers anyway here to.
Find the writers and artists you like and learn from thier example.

And do it because you love it, and if you cease to love it, find what you love.

All the Best,

Nani?
mitora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Come on guys, Sure its a immature idea but lets at least let poor moto-kun talk,we havn't even heard his idea so don't call it stupid quite yet. He's obviously a newbie so he most likely has'nt been around long enough to understand that this is an overplayed topic. Wink Oh and moto-kun if you do make a American comic like Nagisa-san suggested then dont make it a wannabe anime,(i.e. Totally Spies Rolling Eyes ) do that and you'll never live it down. Smile Anywhoo I wish you all the luck in the world moto-kun. Very Happy

Oh and Nani? thank you for being helpful instead of cruel. Smile
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
What i cant understand is how you are planning to communicate your ideas with others when, in your own post, you admit to having poor typing abilities. If you plan to seek help over the internet, typing is essential otherwise your ideas will never come to fruition. I suggest that, if you truly wish pursue this- i personally feel that this is just some sporadic whim-, you take the time to fully develope your idea before you even attempt to present it to anyone.

Unlike many others on here, i wont discourage you from trying to carry out you're ideas as they may become very valuable to you even in their failure. You may one day look back to this for some future inspiration or just to see the developement of your thought processes. Having said that though, begging people to do your work for you is unacceptable and you will find very few sympathetic idividuals in this crowd or any others for that matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2