• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sales of Appleseed exceed expectations.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
I saw this at AnimeOnDVD. Geneon has released a news report that Appleseed has sold 85,000 units in its various forms.

Quote:
LONG BEACH, Calif. ­ Geneon Entertainment, a leader in introducing anime to the United States, reported today that home video sales of Appleseed have exceeded expectations with over 85,000 units sold to-date since the title's DVD debut May 10, setting a new standard for anime titles released in North America and shaping up to be one of the top anime releases of 2005. Major retailers have sold the majority of their initial orders within the first two weeks, with reorders already in place. Geneon Entertainment supported the release with a major marketing campaign, including and breaking out of the traditional anime mediums. "American audiences are hungry for complex adult animation and Appleseed's record pace is an indication of the broadening appeal of the anime genre," said Yosuke Kobayashi, president/CEO, Geneon Entertainment

I think I'll go at least rent the movie to see how it is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
To be honest, i didn't like appleseed... I actually fell asleep while watching it at anime boston.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LostOnigiri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Ahhh....still skeptical...dont like 3D cg and it's even worse when they try to make it look like 2D animation...might have to check it out now though
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I think a part of this is due to the fact that Wal-mart has plenty of them in stock and it's super cheap too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Imm really supprised at the way this film has come under fire, I thought it was amazing, and at least now masamune shirow has something good out there for people to see.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
Imm really supprised at the way this film has come under fire, I thought it was amazing, and at least now masamune shirow has something good out there for people to see.

Ghost in the Shell = Great
Dominion Tank Police = Crap
New Dominion Tank Police = Okay, but too short.
GITS: Stand Alone Complex = Good
Appleseed = Passable.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
To be honest, i didn't like appleseed... I actually fell asleep while watching it at anime boston.

i agree, it was extremely boring.

still i am surprised by those sales.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
msi435 wrote:

i agree, it was extremely boring.

still i am surprised by those sales.

I'm not surprised at all.

Appleseed was marketed MUCH BETTER than typical anime seems to be in this country. For example, I watched a story on CNN about the movie and its "groundbreaking animation and music soundtrack" six months before it ever came to the US. I was practically drooling in anticipation for it. And the movie does have plenty of eye candy and great music, so it lived up to expectation even if the story isn't all that great.
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
how exactaly does one finde appleseed more boring than ghost in the shell, especially SAC,( which has no main story line) meaning it is a bunch of random cases that end up being more boring than the movie was. I cant watch an anime with charcters who have no emotoions. imm sorry and imm not pressing my opinion on any body.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
how exactaly does one finde appleseed more boring than ghost in the shell, especially SAC,( which has no main story line) meaning it is a bunch of random cases that end up being more boring than the movie was. I can't watch an anime with charcters who have no emotoions. imm sorry and imm not pressing my opinion on any body.

Did you watch more than the first 3 episodes of GITS: SAC? At least half the episodes DO have a running plot. The members of Section 9 are trying to find The Laughing Man. Granted, there are plenty of episodes that aren't part of The Laughing Man plot, but it tells you in the first minute of each episode whether or not it is a Stand Alone Episode (or Epsode as it was spelled later in the series, for some reason!) or a Complex Episode. If you don't want to watch the Stand Alone Episodes, just turn them off and watch the Complex Episodes.

Personally, I loved GITS: SAC far more than I liked Ghost in the Shell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1