• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I would like to know what anime series is the most popular

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon13888

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
i think tenchi is very popular because every anime site i went to on the front page tenchi was in there news so please would u tell me what is the most popular anime Question
marui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
This is a really moot question as there is no definate answer, and there propably never will be. There are just to many animes out there.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually this question is very answerable, I just don't have the necessary data. With sales figures and viewership ratings, you could probably figure which anime is the most popular.

But then, what does that really tell you? Popularity and quality aren't the same things, you know.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
You can get a really good idea right here.. Most Popular
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't go by that, because that is just the opinion of the people on this site. To get a true answer as stated before you would have to check merchandise sales, T.V. ratings etc. And you would have to check that data for around the world especially in Japan and you would probably come up with some mega popular series like pokemon or yu-gi-oh, but who knows the answer may be a surprise.
But I doubt anybody would be so bored that they would bother to find out the true answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
It also depends on the population you want this from. Teenagers, Americans, Japanese, anime viewers, the world's total population...? (Damn statistics class!)
patch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Onmyoji wrote:
I wouldn't go by that, because that is just the opinion of the people on this site....But I doubt anybody would be so bored that they would bother to find out the true answer.

So bottom line, it does make sense to go by the encyclopedia, at least to get a good sense for whats popular, don't think this guy is looking for a deep statiscal analysis Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well according to that Cowboy Bebop would be the most popular. I could see that, I mean every anime fan I know and many who don't even watch anime have seen Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KohonaShinobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, did you know that in Japan the both Bebop and Champloo were not well regarded at all (over here they are right at the top though)? What is popular in NA is very different than what is popular in Japan, as of right now, the highest rated show in Japan is STILL Naruto, and it has been for like 3 years running. The new Naruto movie is outdoing SW ep 3 in the theaters in Japan right now.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in America it would probably be Bebop, since it ran twice a day every day for over a year, and it's only a 26 ep series. In Japan it's probably either Naruto or One Piece.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the most popular anime in japan is Detective Conan. It usually gets really high ratings per week.
KohonaShinobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Conan is right up there too, same with One Piece and A few others, I would be very suprised if any one show has beaten the streak that Naruto has had goin though.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
KonohaShinobi wrote:
Conan is right up there too, same with One Piece and A few others, I would be very suprised if any one show has beaten the streak that Naruto has had goin though.

What streak? Just going on the ratings page in NewType shows that Naruto is not the most popular anime in Japan, since from what I've seen, it's rare for it to exceed 10% in ratings (haven't read the magazine in a few months, so it could have 10% ratings every week now). Meanwhile, Detective Conan and One Piece have viewers well into 12-14% every week.
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Hm, I think you need to frame the time period that you wish to know more about. I.e. currently I'd say Inuyasha is the most popular domestically that is. If you said in the 80s in Japan, it'd be URUSEI YATSURA which was king for nearly 10 years. As such, give us some context to limit the scope, i.e. time and location.
KohonaShinobi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
KonohaShinobi wrote:

What streak? Just going on the ratings page in NewType shows that Naruto is not the most popular anime in Japan, since from what I've seen, it's rare for it to exceed 10% in ratings (haven't read the magazine in a few months, so it could have 10% ratings every week now). Meanwhile, Detective Conan and One Piece have viewers well into 12-14% every week.

From most recent reports Naruto has hit 14% for quite some time running (I get my numbers off indie sites on the net though, so they could be incorrect I guess) Confused I do know that the movie is the top rated in Japan right now though.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1