• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime budgets?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone happen to have a rough idea of the amount of money put into the typical 13 episode series/ 26 episode series/ movie? Just wondering, really.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't make any rough estimate, but a lot of factors are involved in the creation of an anime

-Is it done domestically in Japan or is it outsourced to places like China, or Korea (which is a more popular place to have work done). Is it even a Japanese anime or is it a Korean anime?

-What techniques are they using? Is it traditional and hand drawn or is it done in 3D like the recent Appleseed OVA. Is it a big name studio like Ghibli, Gainax, CLAMP or Production

-What is the property in question? Is it an original series done by the studio, or is it licensed by the studio based on an established proerty?

All of those would go into account about the budget...and since no two series are sure to be the same in these areas...you can probably never exactly place a true average on the price range.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I think I remember hearing Ghost in the Shell SAC cost about 125,000 per episode to make.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I think I remember hearing Ghost in the Shell SAC cost about 125,000 per episode to make.

Wow... Is that in yen or dollars? If that's in USD, that's amazing. I wish I had that kind of budget... Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The official statement of the studio said that each episode of Samurai Seven cost over 300 000$ but I have a bit trouble believing that.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Samurai 7 was the first Anime to be fully created in HD (1080i?). That would be a big jump in resolution compared to most normal anime, which is SD - standard deffinition (480p?).
This is a rather large jump in quality, so it probably took more time and resources to make this vs. say Speed Racer or (insert random anime here).
Also, GitS is an established franchise, with things like visual style/look, backstory/continuity and world/surroundings all previously setup. Samurai 7 is based on the old story, but all the character designs/models story/plot points and visual style had to be created from scratch. There's no manga/feature to "work from", so that would make creating this series a much bigger undertaking that your everyday manga adaptation. If you factor these development costs into the price across X ammount of episodes, I'm sure it would add a large chunk.
If that's the case, then I could understand such a huge jump in per episode costs. Also, keep in mind I'm no expert, just making (not-so) educated guesses.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Samurai 7 was the first Anime to be fully created in HD (1080i?). That would be a big jump in resolution compared to most normal anime, which is SD - standard deffinition (480p?).
This is a rather large jump in quality, so it probably took more time and resources to make this vs. say Speed Racer or (insert random anime here).
Also, GitS is an established franchise, with things like visual style/look, backstory/continuity and world/surroundings all previously setup. Samurai 7 is based on the old story, but all the character designs/models story/plot points and visual style had to be created from scratch. There's no manga/feature to "work from", so that would make creating this series a much bigger undertaking that your everyday manga adaptation. If you factor these development costs into the price across X ammount of episodes, I'm sure it would add a large chunk.
If that's the case, then I could understand such a huge jump in per episode costs. Also, keep in mind I'm no expert, just making (not-so) educated guesses.

Standard Definition is 480/60p and 480/30i, whereas full HighDef is 720/60p, 1080/30i and 1080/60i (progressive is always better) (See - http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/ )

From that website:
Quote:
HDTV = "High Definition" TV = 720 or 1080 lines per frame, regardless of how often, or in what order, they are updated

SDTV = "Standard Definition" TV = 480 lines per frame, regardless of how often, or in what order, they are updated

720/60p = 720 lines presented progressively 60 times per second (one full frame every 1/60th second)

480/60p = 480 lines presented progressively 60 times per second (one full frame every 1/60th second)

480/30p = 480 lines presented progressively 30 times per second (one full frame every 1/30th second)

1080/30i = 540 lines presented interlaced 60 times per second = 1080 lines presented interlaced 30 times per second (one half frame every 1/60th second, one full frame every 1/30th second)*

480/30i = 240 lines presented interlaced 60 times per second = 480 lines presented interlaced 30 times per second (one half frame every 1/60th second, one full frame every 1/30th second)*

*These formats are often abbreviated 720p, 480p, 1080i, and 480i. These are misleading abbreviations since they omit the frame rate and tempt the unknowing to compare only the prefix numbers. I have a proposal that suggests abbreviation 1080i be renamed 540i and 480i be renamed 240i to more faithfully reflect their true characteristics and make comparing only the prefix numbers approximately right. For example, 540i is not obviously better than 720p (which it isn't) and 240i is easily seen to be poorer than 480p. It is 240i which is "standard" - that is, like current analog TV - not 480p which is at least twice as good (perceived to be 4-5 times better, however).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Wow... Is that in yen or dollars? If that's in USD, that's amazing. I wish I had that kind of budget... Anime cry

If that were yen, we'd be talking in the $1000 per episode range. There is no way that could be right; so it must be in dollars.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Cloe wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

If that were yen, we'd be talking in the $1000 per episode range. There is no way that could be right; so it must be in dollars.

Yes around 125,000 and it's because Ghost SAC was a hot property. But remember, they do make a lot of it back from tv, dvd sale, licensing. You're talking about a billion dollar industry.
And seeing as how a popular U.S. actor can make 15 million dollar a film, it really isn't suprising.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:
Cloe wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Yes around 125,000 and it's because Ghost SAC was a hot property.

Looking at the animation quality of GITS:SAC we can conclude that it's the upper limit of cost on a series, pretty much everything else must be less than that. I wonder if anyone can come up with a lower limit? Perhaps the lower limit is around $60,000 or so, that would be about half the maximum price.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Cloe wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

General Rule for Nippon/US Currency Conversion:

125 Yen (roughly) = $1 US
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1