• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New anime fan wants reccomendations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamanxfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new to anime. I'd love to hear people's reccomendations for series that they think are good

Thanks in advance Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote
For starters, try looking here (top 50 rated anime by ANN users). Or, why don't you tell us a few titles you've seen or maybe what kind of genres you like such as comedy, drama, mecha, science fiction, that sort of thing.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
megamanxfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Sorry! Anime smile I've seen GITS, Akira, Tokyo revelation, landlock, a few pokemon films, as well as some of the tv series, the beyblade tv series and the duel masters tv series (go easy on me) Embarassed
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Ah~ thank you, thank you Anime catgrin. Well, it seems like you haven't seen much at all, so I'll see what I can suggest, but bear with me for a few more questions.

1. Do you mind violence? As in, does a lot of fighting, blood, or gore offend you?

2. What language do you usually watch anime in, English or Japanese? I could recommend you titles that I feel have good to decent dubbing (which kind of limits me sometimes, depending on the company), or I can recommend lots of titles I really like, but are in Japanese (trust me, voice acting makes a BIG difference).

3. How old are you (if you don't mind me asking Anime smallmouth)?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Here, just read through this and see if any of them fit your taste. Althought I don't agree with many people's top 10, it's still interesting to see top notch show (Wolf's Rain and Witch Hunter) get dissed for stupid reason like not enough action.

top ten
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Megamanxfanatic, could you tell us how do you feel about those anime titles you've watched? Also, try Cookie's picks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
megamanxfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
sorry it took so long to get back to everyone, i don'y have constant access to the net.

I thought the shows i've seen were pretty good, i don't mind violence, dubbing is preferred, but not essential, and i am 19 Very Happy
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Tony K wrote:
or I can recommend lots of titles I really like, but are in Japanese (trust me, voice acting makes a BIG difference).

I too, agree to that. Some dubbers just doesn't seem to have the right emotion for the scene they are dubbing. Though you don't understand completely the words, you can feel the emotions flowing to each words of the undubbed.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
OK then, seeing as how there have been a lot of recommendation threads, let me redirect you to a post you might find useful.

Go here and see if that helps any. The titles I listed there are also my current top 4 titles (in that order).
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I will try and name a broad base of anime that I have seen...if you like the descriptions, then feel free to give them a shot

Excel Saga:
World domination is the goal of Lord Illipilazoo and his two female sidekicks. One who is a total ditz, and the other who dies all the time. With such haphazard help, taking over the world may be a tall order, so instead this would be group of conquerers instead starts off by trying to take over their city. Each episode is themed. So for instance, an episode may play out like a horror movie, or a war story, or a love story. The anime is filled with humorous references to other anime series, and is a load of laughts

Cowboy Bebop:
In a world of outlaws, sometimes the quickest way to make a little cash, is to hunt them down and turn them in. Spike, Faye, Ed, Ein and Jet are a group of (very) mismatched bounty hunters who traverse the galaxy in search of high priced bounty. The only problem is...they tend to make more messes than they solve. So even when they get their hands on a large bounty, they wind up having to fork over cash to fix what they've destroyed. But a little starvation has never gotte this group down. Join in their adventures that range from very hilarious, to very serious. This anime is critically acclaimed both for its excellence of story and for its excellent use of big band style jazz music.

Berserk:
Berserk weaves the tale of a mercenary named Gattsu. All of Gatts life has been a challenge, and the blade is the only way he knows. After a run in with a powerful mercenary band, he is inducted into the group, and joins them on their trip throught the fictional European country of Midland. He battles side by side some of the most elite warriors that Europe has ever seen, as they take on the goal of rising to power as the most powerful army in the world. This series features fantasy, humor, action and some of the darkest nightmares you could ever imagine...

His and Her Circumstances:
What happens when an over achieving perfectionist is shown up by somebody who does it naturally? Well...most would imagine a hateful relationship, but in the case of the protagonist to this tale, a little love can blossom. This tale is rooted in humor, but tells a story of romance. A very well done anime, but perhaps not a choice for those who aren't tolerant of a love story

Chobits:
Hideki is a poor community college student just trying to get ahead in life. It can seem hard to get through school when you don't have your very own persocom, or a personal computer, that is built to look and act like a human of your choice. But Hideki has some incredible luck when he stumbles upon a discarded yet functional persocom, named Chii. Chii is as gorgeous as she is innocent, and this leads to a lot of sexual frustration for poor Hideki, who is just trying to pay his rent and make a good grade. This series will have you laughing once every four minutes, and the characters are all verey likeable.

Samurai Deeper Kyo:
Kyoshiro Mibu is a traveling medicine peddler, but despite his innocence, he harbors a dark secret. Within his soul, is the soul of the fearsome warrior, Demon Eyes Kyo. Whenever Kyoshiro or those he cares about, are put in grave danger, the wicked Demon Eyes Kyo rises forth to the challenge with a merciless blade in hand. But what is the true relatoinship between Kyoshiro and Demon Eyes Kyo? Only time and a great deal of blood, can tell.

Get Backers:
Genji and Ban Mido have been friends for a long time. But more importantly, they are business partners who own and operate "Get Backers"...a professional retrieval agency that "gets back what shouldn't be gone." To aid in the effectivness of their ability to retrieve an object, are their mysteriously obtained powers. Ban Mido wields a gaze capable of inducing any vision he wants his foes to see, including their own deaths. Meanwhile, Genji is a human battery, capable of generating milions of volts of electricity. But despite these awesome powers, there seems to be no end to the hijinks and trouble that they get into both on their own, and with the help of their agent and friend, Heven.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1