• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for some anime recommendations please!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord_Ilpalazzo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Heya,

I've been in an uber-anime-mode lately, just finished both FMP! and Elfen Lied over the course of a week Anime smile - I'm looking for some more really good anime to watch; some of my favorites of all time are Excel Saga (as you may have guessed Wink), FMP!, Chobits, Gunslinger Girl, Elfen Lied, Love Hina, Hellsing, and Onegai Teacher - I would undoubtably like any anime similar to these in humor, plot, etc. I'm a particularly big fan of the comedy anime genre, but I do also really enjoy the darker and more seirous anime as indicated by my liking of Elfen Lied, Gunslinger Girl and Hellsing - Any reocommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

-Ilpalazzo
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
If you like comedy anime, I think that Azumanga Daioh would be perfect. It moves at a much slower pace than Excel Saga, but I found Azumanga Daioh much more funny and enjoyable. I couldn't manage to watch more than a handful of Excel Saga episodes before my brain melted. Azumanga Daioh is an anime that is very easy to watch and doesn't require a lot of brain power. I would recommend you try to watch the first episode to see if the overall series is to your liking. If you don't like the first episode, I doubt that you'll like the series in general.

As for dark anime, I would recommend Shadow Star: Narutaru. It is probably comparable to Elfen Lied in that both series are fairly effective "horror" anime. Narutaru is possibly even more effective than Elfen Lied in unnerving the viewer, especially towards the end. Many people have said that it is the most disturbing anime that they've ever seen.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
For comedy, I would recommend Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu TV, DELUXE and FINAL, easily the funniest anime I've seen. The kind of humor in this series is definitely not for everyone, as it's definitely on the wacky side. But, if you enjoyed Excel Saga, that shouldn't be a problem. Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan looks like it'll be funny too, although I've only seen one episode so far. I can also recommend School Rumble. The humor is a little more tame, but I'm still finding this very enjoyable. The anime is full of likable characters, and it's very funny. Give it 5 or 6 episodes before dismissing it, because it takes a while to really get started. 2X2=Shinobuden is funny as well. Again, its humor isn't for everyone. Watch about 2 to 3 episodes. If you like those, you'll like the rest. I'll also second the above recommendation of Azumanga Daioh.

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Sat May 28, 2005 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
KitsuneHiei

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote

Last edited by KitsuneHiei on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord_Ilpalazzo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
First I'd like to apologize for posting this without realizing the other couple of topics asking for recommendations, but thank you guys muchly for the suggestions, I'm going to be checking those out asap!

-Ilpalazzo
msi435

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
Just check out the top 50 anime, all the recommendations one could want is on that list.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1