• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Anime VS Gun Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinjaGunslinger55

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Which anime type do you like better?

Sword/Katana anime like Champloo or RuroKen or Gun/Gunslinging anime like Bebop and Trigun??

Personally I prefer sword anime cause I just have a thing for close combat.

And there is a lot of blood Wink
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Wait... "sword" and "gun" are genres now? When did that happen? Shocked

So... what category would the Vicious/Spike duels in Bebop fall under? Miscellaneous? Please be more clear with your question; I don't understand what you're asking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fuscus

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
swords. there seems to be a bit more animation involved.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
They aren't genres obviously, but the kinds of combat may be delivered via a specific vehicle. In this case, most animes focus on swords and magic or guns and science. Spike and Vicious fight very infrequently throughout the whole of the series, so there is no need to categorize it. Of the 26 episodes of Bebop, not even 5 of them involve Spike fighting Vicious. And even when spike does fight Vicious...Vicious wields a sword.

Anyways, I am very much against guns. They are loud and tacky. A sword can never misfire. There is no such thing as a drive by swording. To draw a blade means you have the intent to harm somebody. Drawing a gun may mean you are showing off. The amount of skill required to wield a sword, is far greater than that of a gun.

Even without consideration of the nature of a gun versus the nature of a sword, I find swords to be more dynamic for combat. Shooting is done at a distance...and often with a great deal of running. Equilebrium is about the only thing I have ever seen, that made gunplay extremely interesting. But beyond this...it is just point and click. Swords are dangerous and personal. I love watching a good sword battle in Berserk, Champloo or Kenshin, more than I do the gun battles of Full Metal Panic, Trigun or Bebop.
Eesha

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Sword fights .. its more personal,measures the skills of the person and its more artistic and beautiful than just firing guns and blowing up things .. that's just me ..
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
but Vicious also uses guns. look at the flashbacks.

just once i'd like to see an anime where an character uses a gun and a sword.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
You could always go play Devil May Cry Razz
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Or Final Fantasy VIII Wink.
Anyway, I personally prefer guns usually (depending on the setting of course). One reason is the fact that I'm not into samurai stuff at all. The other reason is that, although swords look cooler, guns are just that more effective. So in an anime set in modern society, theuse of a gun instead of a sword adds a little to the realism (of course there are enough anime that are not meant to give a realistic image of today's world).

Farseer Ulthrion
pingo

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
You got a point. Its why I love starwars. They got crazy battle droids with tons of fast laser weapons and stuff like that, but the jedis sword can reflect the blasts and totally kill anyone:D

also they have magic powers(the force..) which is cool. Its like a wizard swordsman. very neat.

I like swords better than ranged fighting.

Why?

Its more bad arse. Its more personal. its a thing that requires strength and brute force, while with guns people just go into cover and shoots with their clumsy weapons and empty their rounds and rounds while shooting everywhere.

I also think that Swords seem more honorable. It looks more cool because it also requires the wielder to move with agility and that makes it more entertaining.

My favorite Anime fight character has to be Mugen from Samurai Champloo. I mean..... this guy. OMFG. lol. This guy looks like an ape when he fights. he's so freakin cool. Its like he break dances. hahaha. It just looks so neat.

With this being said - I think guns are really cool too. I liked the fact about Spike, that he could do martial arts. Was it Kunn Doo or something he was fighting with?

I just think seeing people like Gants from Berserk going crazy is really cool. Or kung fu in animatrix.

I hear the Kenshin OVAs has really good fight scenes.. might check it out.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
My first love would be unarmed combat actually, as I practice martial-arts myself. I like melee combat a little better because it takes a little more skill, but as the saying goes "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight." The proper tools are necessary for the proper situation, I prefer both myself and enjoy fictional combat in all it's various forms. I love series like Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo, but I also really like gunplay as well such as that portrayed in Noir and Gungrave.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, If you look at my Name perfectsword (it IS a pun) I like swords. There seems to be a fluid motion to then, a dance, if you will. Takes skill two swing a sword properly, whereas a gun can be fired by anyone, even babies (Maggie Simpson).
msi435

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Swords or guns eh.... hmm.... I have to go with swords because it takes more skill to kill someone with a sword than a gun and plus it looks cooler Razz .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
as far as fight scenes sword fights look alot better.

I just wish there was a anime were they would do the famous Indiana Jones method of dealing with a guy with a sword just for once scene pull out a gun and shoot him.

That would be funnny.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The proper tools are necessary for the proper situation, I prefer both myself and enjoy fictional combat in all it's various forms. I love series like Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo, but I also really like gunplay as well such as that portrayed in Noir and Gungrave.

At first I thought I'd prefer swords (because it's more elegant in my eyes), but thinking about Noir (where they use guns most of the time) or Natsuki in Mai HiME I'd have to say that for me, it also depends on the fighter's sex.
I don't like men using guns, I think it's more aesthetical when they use swords. As for women, I don't have a preference. I don't really know how to explain understandably why I think like that... Maybe it's just my taste. Smile
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It depends more on how well the fight is done as opposed to what weapons are used. Cowboy Bebop's gun fights soundly outclass easily more than half the sword fights ever featured in an anime, whereas Gungrave's use of guns is...well...stiff, dull, & extremely repetitive. On the flip-side, the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs have absolutely stellar swordplay, but the TV series is often extremely lacking, especially in the filler episodes and smaller story arcs (and even the early Kyoto Arc).

The weapon doesn't matter, it's how much effort the producers put into it that makes a fight great or terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3