• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R.I.P., Syfy's Ani-Monday (well, sort of).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Not that Syfy/SciFi has any official announcements up, but it looks like that they've cancelled the Ani-Monday block. Let's have a moment of silence, please, to both mark and honor its passing. Crying or Very sad
===========================================
EDIT: Thanks to DerektheRed and LydiaDianne for pointing out the schedule change. In my defense, I will say that when I looked at their Ani-Monday page, it's last entry was for something like Dec. 20th or thereabouts. It didn't occur to me to do a systematic search; also, their webmaster has Tuesday, January 4th extending past midnight to 5 A.M. Check out this web page.

Oh, I see my mistake: When I saw that the calendar was on Tues. the 4th, I set it to Mon. 3rd. I absolutely HATE making mistakes like this! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by nobahn on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
SyFy should probably change its name (again) to Fight Central anyway. They sometimes seem to have forgotten that they're supposed to be a science fiction channel.

I used to watch the Ani-Monday block but they have very little else that interests me any more. I do watch Warehouse 13, but their seasons are short and far between.

It's a shame, they used to have some really good shows, but now it's mostly pro wrestling and cheesy movies. They pretty much lost me a long time ago.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised.

AniMondays didn't seem all that supported by them. Decendants of Darkness and Tokko are the only ones that I remember. Wait, didn't they also do one of the Gundams?

SyFy could have made much better and a greater variety of choices that still would have fit their brand. Off the top of my head: Witch Hunter Robin, Witchblade, Samurai Deeper Kyo.

And numerous movies and OAVs could have been played.

I think that someone dropped the ball.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Not that Syfy/SciFi has any official announcements up, but it looks like that they've cancelled the Ani-Monday block. Let's have a moment of silence, please, to both mark and honor its passing. Crying or Very sad

I thought it was just tonight that was canceled for the V specials they were showing. While I agree, it was a lot of repeat stuff and generally not good anime to begin with (I'd assume cheaper titles to acquire) I'd be sad to see it disappear altogether.
Have you checked their web site and none is coming up? Is that what you are talking about? I haven't checked their web site to verify, but I wonder now.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm. They have Gurren Lagann scheduled to run starting tomorrow at midnight. AniTuesdays? (Technically Wednesday because it starts at midnight?)

Edit: I guess AniTuesday, because they have GL for a few weeks, then a movie at the end of January, and they don't have anything scheduled into February.

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Just took a look at their schedule...it's till there. They are playing Guren Lagen tonight along with Requiem from the Darkness. On Jan. 25 there is "anime movie."

And they don't have the schedule for Feburary up yet, so we can't count AniMondays out...yet.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
edited my 1st post

well, they can no longer call the block "Ani-Monday"
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
I was going to pop in and say it's probably because they ran out of titles in Manga's pint-sized catalog, few of which are even actually worth watching, but I guess that's moot now.

The block needs some fresh meat though. Although, this is probably due the fact Manga, VIZ, and Bandai don't have anything new to offer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1