• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melody of oblivion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I just got my copy yesterday and I have now had a chance to watch it, first off if you haven't seen it i recomend checking out the first volume, at least give it a try. now for those of us that have seen it what did you hink of the Story, Charcters, Voice acting, and the music as well as the art and animation of the show. Please let me know what you think of the new show from gainax.

-curtis Very Happy
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought this show was really interesting. It has a really weird/creepy vibe to it that you can really only see to understand. The end got a bit too fanservicy, but I still think it's a great show overall.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
C'mon, Bio Concerto wasn't THAT bad. Rolling Eyes Laughing

And yes, Melody of Oblivion is definetely one of GAINAX's intriguing series. I mean, there is fanservice, but the way they presented it is quite boggling. Hell, it's better that the series is seen since describing it here is pretty difficult.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Ending could've been better, but overall... great series... well, it felt like the series died AFTER the bio concierto Razz Razz Razz ... But I think its' worth it overall.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Yet another Gainax series that, especially in the later episodes, looks like it's specifically *trying* to be incomprehensible and full of loaded but meaningless images. On the other hand, there is no such thing as a meaningless image, and most of the fun of watching Melody *is* in trying to attach meanings and reasons to some of the things in those last few episodes.

Well, and of course the relationship between Bocca, Kurofune and Sayoko, especially the way it develops around the middle of the series.

Well, and the cinematography. It's one of the very few anime out there nowadays that seems to actually care about things like shot composition. Animation is not supposed to be realistic - it's an impression of reality, not a representation; the right use of animation is not to try to replace live-action, but to do things that live action never could. And Melody of Oblivion does a great job of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

And yes, Melody of Oblivion is definetely one of GAINAX's intriguing series. I mean, there is fanservice, but the way they presented it is quite boggling. Hell, it's better that the series is seen since describing it here is pretty difficult.

I suppose I was thinking more about the..."cows" with rather large..."udders." And then they're...milked? There's absolutely no purpose for that. At least Bio Concerto had a feasible reason other than just simple fanservice.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

I suppose I was thinking more about the..."cows" with rather large..."udders." And then they're...milked? There's absolutely no purpose for that. At least Bio Concerto had a feasible reason other than just simple fanservice.

Hmm... elaborate on this. I didn't watch beyond episode 8 due to it being licensed, and I do plan on buying the DVDs since I liked the series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Bio Concerto

I may warn you. This happened much later in the series spoiler[like around episode 20.]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
One3rd made it sound totally different, unless what he is talking about is different.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Awww crap! He was talking about the cows! Mad

I remember there were scenes of milking them, but I don't remember which episode it was.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I got a sind bit of the dub, and my ears bleed. It is offical I will not watch this one in the English.

Well it is a good thing anyway, I already like the Japanese cast to well as it is.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Awww crap! He was talking about the cows! Mad

I remember there were scenes of milking them, but I don't remember which episode it was.

I believe it occured in Episode 21. I googled it, and got an image like this on one website:

Cinnamon Ass - Reborn Like a Zombie: Melody of Oblivion archives

ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Not surprised with the Cow bit since the writer for the series has a fetish for cows Anime dazed just watch Revolutinary Girl Utena there was a bit about a character turning into a cow which again shows up in a small bit in the Revolutionary Girl Utena Movie. Shocked
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote
The cows appear randomly at the end of the last several episodes for no particular reason. They do actually play a role in the last episode or so, but nothing that couldn't have been handled differently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1