• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kara no Kyoukai.....Aniplex? Wut?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
So, just sort of randomly browsing the forums, I caught this:

So far, in those little Aniplex tabs, I've mostly just caught DRRR! and Gurren plastered. Some other stuff, but Aniplex stuff regardless...

That isn't Aniplex stuff. At least, not to my knowledge...or really, a whole lot of other people's...I think. So, like, what gives? Was it officially announced that Aniplex licensed KnK? If so, when? If not...why is that there?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed it to ....

If they did pick it up I'd buy the Blueray in a heart beat. I've been meaning to get in to the series seeing as I just finished reading Arc's route in Tsukihime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
That isn't Aniplex stuff. At least, not to my knowledge...or really, a whole lot of other people's...
Aniplex USA distributing over here would be new news, but Aniplex has already been associated with the movies from the start...

Kara no Kyoukai Encyclopedia Page wrote:

Japanese Companies

Animation Production: ufotable
Distributor: Aniplex
Original Creator: Type-Moon
Production:
Aniplex
Kodansha
Notes
ufotable
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I just noticed it to ....

If they did pick it up I'd buy the Blueray in a heart beat. I've been meaning to get in to the series seeing as I just finished reading Arc's route in Tsukihime.

Glad I wasn't the only one who caught wind of this.

I just saw another tab of KnK - the one of Shiki in her white kimono.

...I think this just about settles it. But...Aniplex? =_= Really? ...Am I to expected to dish out like three hundred dollars for the whole series down the road? =___=;;

Zalis116 wrote:
Aniplex USA distributing over here would be new news, but Aniplex has already been associated with the movies from the start...

Ah, you're right. But that's just for Japan... The bottom tabs link directly to their US portal. I don't think they would just slap random KnK tabs just for the sake of diversity...

This smells like a tease.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they will learn not to set the market price that high for the movies? I mean I can understand like maybe $100 for a full DVD set with subs seeing as it's a bunch of movies with crazy high production values.

Still I'd be willing to buy a copy. As much as I really don't care for Type-moon anime from what I've heard KnK is really good.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
KnK is as good an adaptation as you'll get. It's excellent.

That said, I still wouldn't find them worth Aniplex prices. And as it stands, I doubt they'd cheapen them by a whole lot. If anything, you might end up shelling more for them. Just cause it's KnK, and hence, demanded by fans...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, you're right. But that's just for Japan... The bottom tabs link directly to their US portal. I don't think they would just slap random KnK tabs just for the sake of diversity...

Aniplex USA or Japan is irrelevant, they're the same company, just in different countries. This isn't like Geneon where they're their own little company, Aniplex USA is just a branch of the Japanese company. If I remember correctly, when OreImo leaked, Chris and Justin talked to Aniplex USA instead of flying to Japan since they're the same people.

I do hope, though, that this means Aniplex will release Kara no Kyoukai on BD here. I've only seen the first three movies, and while I didn't like the first one, it got a lot better as I went along. I also think watching it on an actual BD instead of a very low res stream would help me enjoy it more. It'll probably be ~$140, but I'd still consider it, even more so if they dub it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...but, right below the tab, there's a link: www.aniplexUSA.com

It even screams in all caps, USA. Even if it's just a marginal subsidiary, I can't imagine they'd plaster KnK randomly on there. There's also the fact that all the other tabs they have, are of shows they're releasing here.

Weird, no?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't doubt it as I have a friend who went to Anime Boston with journalist credentials where they showed the 5th film and he said that Aniplex was very interested in bringing it over but that they needed a distributor. Maybe they found one. He also got to interview Yuki Kaijura and Kalifina which doesn't really pertain to the topic but you can read it here.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I do hope, though, that this means Aniplex will release Kara no Kyoukai on BD here. I've only seen the first three movies, and while I didn't like the first one, it got a lot better as I went along. I also think watching it on an actual BD instead of a very low res stream would help me enjoy it more. It'll probably be ~$140, but I'd still consider it, even more so if they dub it.

Oh good god would that be amazing! At $140 I could buy it and still eat for the month!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I would no doubt also buy it at that price, though given the fact that there will soon be 8 films that it would be closer to $160 assuming they'd be an average of $20 a pop for each of them.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Even at $160...good god. I think any release for this here in the next couple years would be pretty damn expensive though. Those movies are cash cow central. Japans release is set for like $600ish?? Dude, thats my rent payment...better come with a couple free bj certificates or something.

My guesstimate would be it coming stateside in 2013 for around $250 lol.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Yeah...but, right below the tab, there's a link: www.aniplexUSA.com

It even screams in all caps, USA. Even if it's just a marginal subsidiary, I can't imagine they'd plaster KnK randomly on there. There's also the fact that all the other tabs they have, are of shows they're releasing here.

Weird, no?

Not quite as weird as you would think. For instance, I recall that a Darker than Black 2 trailer was on one of the Gurren Lagann movie discs. Aniplex USA has nothing to do with DTB2 (FUNimation licensed it after all), so why did they put it on the disc? They just want to show off the Japanese properties that they have, even if they're not licensed by them here in the states.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
That's very confusing for the everyman customer who doesn't exactly browse forums and whatnot. Not to mention pointless.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the same thing happened with Haruhi as well. Kadokawa made Bandai include trailers for The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye even though it was licensed by Rightstuf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9