• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Head patting.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
This may be a strange thing to bring up, but I can't help but notice the dramatic increase in head patting in anime. I don't really remember seeing it in most of the 80's/90's anime that I have watched, but in the last 10 years or so it seems to have increased to the point where it is virtually in every single show and occurs constantly. Is it just an expression of self-deprecation now, or are all of these writers putting it in in a serious way for some purpose?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Self-deprecation? For whom?

Anyway, I think it may be related to the increasing intentional use of moe. The act of patting another character on the head shows condescension, and directs the audience's sympathy to the character on the receiving end, invoking the feeling of moe to some degree. That's my guess.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I should have been more specific about the self-deprecation part. I was considering that perhaps it might have started as some serious form of expression, but now a lot of writers might be putting it in just to make fun of their profession for using it so much in a kind of parody. Even if that were the case though, it seems to have become as universal a recurring theme to be nearly equivalent to the dirty old man/old drunk man or guy stumbling into girl's huge boobs and blushing.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It can also be a sign of protective affection that humanizes characters and makes us like them more - especially, though not always, if they don't tend to be big talkers. Ouran's Mori, Vampire Knight's Zero (with Yuki in the manga, and I'm assuming also the anime which I have pre-ordered for the end of this month), Ghost Hunt's "Monk" (with Mai), Twelve Kingdoms' King En (with Rokuta in spite of their actual ages) and the two Tsubasa men with the kids and Mokona (although Kurogane would probably never willingly admit it) are some examples I can think of.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I was considering that perhaps it might have started as some serious form of expression, but now a lot of writers might be putting it in just to make fun of their profession for using it so much in a kind of parody.

That's a very interesting point, - I gradually came to wonder about that, too, because it can apply to any number of cliches and tropes that they use so often. One can't help but wonder what goes on during the creative process. For example, is it "generic tsundere action 2 goes here", or "come on guys, tsundere kicking a guy off screen never gets old! it's fun!!", or "hehe, okay, now we have to insert this kick, it's almost a required attribute of self-parody and self-awareness". Same applies to your head-patting, of course (though I generally agree with Dorcas_Aurelia that it's a condescending action meant to evoke sympathy).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I was just watching Eden of the East on Funimation channel this evening, and the Akino guy pats the female protagonist (forgot her name) on the head right at the end of the first episode. It also happens with that Chezram kid in Baccano! towards the end. I know i'm going to freak out if I keep looking for this, but it seems like there's no escape.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo
This seems like a personal therapy session via an anime forum. I don't mean to be a buzz-kill but do you have a mental issue that's bothering your life? (no disrespect for those that do)
I mean how could "head pats," cause you to create a thread about it? It truly is an interesting mental meltdown that you are experiencing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a pretty serious question about something that I've noticed in a lot of anime recently. If you weren't interested in it then you wouldn't be bothering to post a reply. I'm trying to understand better why this theme has been coming up so much, checking to see what other people think. That's usually the point of a forum like this no? Have seen some interesting points so far.
with an e

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Anyway, I think it may be related to the increasing intentional use of moe. The act of patting another character on the head shows condescension, and directs the audience's sympathy to the character on the receiving end, invoking the feeling of moe to some degree. That's my guess.

It's something of a "well done," or "good boy/girl" gesture that an older person does to a young person. Thus, the series needs a responsible teenager or adult and a child (or child-like person). In addition, it can be somewhat demeaning for those who do not wish to appear childish, as the receiving end is usually a young child. Thus, the child can't be the protagonist. This kind of setup is more common in recent moe series than 80s or 90s series, but it's not a moe characteristic.
asami0414

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo
This seems like a personal therapy session via an anime forum. I don't mean to be a buzz-kill but do you have a mental issue that's bothering your life? (no disrespect for those that do)
I mean how could "head pats," cause you to create a thread about it? It truly is an interesting mental meltdown that you are experiencing.

I chuckled when I read this.

Think about it though -- in Korean culture (and Japanese too, I think) the touching of someone's head is extremely uncool, but in anime it's used constantly, usually when the male character is the "protector", saying that he will look after the female character he is... well... patting.
And then it always highlights a sort of 'moment' for the girl as she looks up (it's extremely sexist, by the way, of how many girls are tidgily short when it comes to romance anime rawr) at the guy and realizes wow: I suddenly am much more attracted to this man now that he is patting my head.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, this certainly is a unique question. My guess is that when a character is patted on the head, it usually is a sign of kindness or appreciation.

Asami0414: I also found it sightly hilarious when I read that as well. But I can honestly say, I've never really gave it much thought. But when ever I think of head patting, I think of affection of some sort or just a simple act of kindness.

There is always a chance that this means nothing or the meaning is so simple, it may not have a complex meaning.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it depends on the situation and the characters.

If I remember correctly, in Tsubasa, Kurogane laid his hand on Shaoran's head. Not patting or petting but a man to boy gesture of affection and "You did well, little brother" sort of vibe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1