• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tacticalogre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone. My name is Jay. I'm new to these forums (but not to forums in general Razz) but a long time fan of the site... and I am in a kind of dileema. About a year or so ago I watched the animes Kanon and Kokoro Library and absolutely fell in love with them (especially Kanon... that definatly ranks #1 in my books) ... well, after watching those all animes have kinda fallen flat to me ... I'm bored with it! I'm looking for something to spark my interests, something like Kanon with a semi-real-world story about Japanese high-school students and love and real world emotions ... that kinda stuff. Fellow anime fans, I beg you ... help! I need recommendations. Don't let this die with me.

-- Jay
tacticalogre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
... Nothing? Anyone?
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually haven't seen that anime, so unfortunately I can't help. I'm not sure if you can edit your thread title or not, but you might consider that. Some people tend to pass a thread that just has a one word title.

I just read a review for Koi Kaze. It is about a high school girl and is apparently pretty realistic and emotional. Although, it involves themes of incest, so I'm not sure if that would interest you or not.
Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen or heard of those but if you want a real world story about japanese high school students you can check out Azumanga Diaoh. Its more of a comedy/ slice of life story and Im not too sure thats what your looking for.
Rahxephon is an awesome anime that is about a high school student but it isnt too realistic in that he pilots a big robot(theres more to the story than what im mentioning.) ITs great though..i recommend watching the whole series at least once!

Edit: sorry I forgot to mention that this story is filled with emotions and drama. You will drown in the happiness and love and the sadness and hate. Its top notch animation wise as well as emotional interaction between characters.

If your interested I can sell you the first 3 volumes used Wink
I kinda wont to slim down my anime library cause I have to spend money on guitar stuff. Sorry if im not aloud to hint and offering my dvds Laughing
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

That's what I was going to say Twisted Evil

I would also recommend Azuki. Two problems: 1) May be a little childish 2) Seems that it's not licensed.

If I remember anything else, I'll tell you.
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

I also recommend the two titles above and I’m going to add GTO and whisper of the heart, all four of those animes are in my top 15 (god damn kare kano). Both animes deal with Japanese school life and the social drama that goes along with it. Personally I think you should check out GTO first, just because I think it's the only licensed anime out of the group of 4 I recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
You might check out Fruits Basket. It's a little fantastic, but the actual character interaction and such is grounded in reality and much of the show takes place in a high school setting. If you can get around a little fantasy thrown in on the side, you should watch it. One of my favorite shows.

I'll also strongly support the vote for Kare Kano.

By the way, it's bad form to bump your own post, particularly only 90 minutes after posting it the first time. People aren't just constantly trolling the boards for posts to respond to, so give it time.
El Oso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
something like Kanon with a semi-real-world story about Japanese high-school students and love and real world emotions

AIR comes to mind. It focuses on mother/daughter relationships. It's mostly real world (there's a bit of supernatural in it). Only problem is it isnt licensed Shocked

Any of the ones on the above posts are good too IMHO
soujiokita

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I really reccomend Fulmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
soujiokita wrote:
I really reccomend Fulmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell.

You know, that just made me think of an odd thing. Since the original poster wanted to know about anime with high school students and you referenced FMA, it occurred to me that Ed and Al never went to school. It seems like Roy Mustang could be contributing to the delinquency of minors! Very Happy Am I to believe that being able to pull a metal spear out of solid earth at will somehow gives you a pass out of school?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1