• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
X tv

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benbboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure something like this has been posted....but i am in a bit of a hurry and couldnt find it in the search. Anyways....about the symbolism in X...(minor spoilers) spoiler[like the 666 on beast and all the pentagrams and such] there is another i noticed that i do not believe was brought up here. (again very minor) spoiler[On Fuma's sword....i dunno about Kamui's.....there is an inscription in Hebrew.....the language Jewish people such as myself use]. I do not know what it says, but i will try to freeze the screen later and see if i can tell.....for it is hard to read since i am not completely fluent and there are no vowels used in formal writing. I searched on the internet real quick and found a nice result-

spoiler[Sumeragi1310.17.2004, 06:01 PM
Crack open a Bible and you'll find X has a lot of religious imagery. Revelation talks about seven angels (who bring God's wrath down on the Earth), seven seals (which interestingly must be 'broken' in order for a new world can come), seven lamps (the Dragons of Earth symbol) and seven stars (the Dragon of Heaven's symbols). I remeber readign on Rabi's X page that the Hebrew words written on Kamui's sword is a Jewish grce to say before meals.

Though I don't think the symbols used have to much meaning story-wise, thay just look good.]

found here-
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158963

If anyone knows anything further let me know.....

again....it is mentioned that this was a question in some book on this website...

http://home.comcast.net/~hasshin/trivia.html

God....im curious now.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Pentagram/Star of David--One and the same at least in origin, but basically they are a magical way of binding spirits. In various Jewish/Islamic and western ritual magic these are specificly the Neutral Angels, those who did not take sides in the war between God and Satan and were condemed to exist on earth. The classic example of this is the genie in a bottle, sealed with the Star of David. Basically, Tokyo is a focal point to bind the Spirits/Angels/Dragons of the Earth.

This dovetails well with Shinto myth, because the kami of Earth are one of the two primary groups of Shinto deities, the other being the Heavenly Kami.spoiler[ Arashi and Kusanagi both have strong parrallels as the respective leaders of those groups. Yuzuriha resembles the heavenly kami who married the leader of the earth kami and thus brought peace between the two groups.
]

As for the symbolism with the swords, they are Shinkan, object of ritual worship in Shinto and property of the deities. The stars on the swords could either be interpreted as keeping the hands of human out, or the power of the gods in or perhaps both. Useing the Hebrew makes it more universal

666--Book of Revelation and tied to the beast. An alternate interpretation is Ceasar (roman numerals spell this out some variation). In this interpretation in is used as a parallel for the description for the corruption of the world, as opposed to the heavenly/spiritual.
Note that all the Dragons of Heaven are tied to some sort of spiritual practice if not being outright incarnations of dieties or otherwise fostering life/fertility.
On the other hand the Dragons of Earth are tied to if not being literal creations of the corrupt world, ruled by Ceaser/Anti-Christ i.e. bueracracy, technology, military industrial complex, science without conscience, corporate power, or general loss of connection/alienation. Two of the Dragons of Earth try to connect,spoiler[ Satsuki and Kusanagi. Satsuki, as she connects to humanity in the forms of the other Dragons. This seen as a threat, and she is literally killed by the jealous "Beast".
Kusanagi connects to the divine in the form of Yuzuriha, and is hence "saved".]
. Finally, Arashi'sspoiler[ defection to the Dragons of Earth because she is trying to protect the divine i.e. Sorata ] is ultimately false.

Does this have meaning storywise--My guess is yes. Spiritual/Magical meaning is infused in a lot of CLAMP work, usually Shinto and Buddhist. However, I've seen them reference Christian/Jewish, Hindu, Western Ritual Magic, Chinese and arguably Native American spiritual systems as well and do so in fairly sophisticated ways. Someone in CLAMP really understands this stuff, though they do make mistakes occasionally with the non Japanese stuff. I once asked for information on who that might be but no one seemed to know.

All the Best,

Nani?

P.S. I know a bit more about the Shinto/Buddihst if you want to know. However, you seemed more interested in the Jewish/Christian stuff so I limited my comments somewhat. I'd be willing to go into more detail if you wish.
benbboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
wow....im gonna try to take that all in....i know when i watched it the first time around i thought this definately isn't your usual anime....with all the angels and the wing colors...etc. What threw me off at first was that this whole thing was taking place in Tokyo....a nice mix. I would liek to know a bit more about the Shinto/Buddhist....and im also curious...like you about who put all of this in. Forgive me if I'm mistaken but it doesn't seem as though the Japanese are the most religious people (which i definately do not mind). O...and if you find out the writing on the sword does mean something...let me know please..im veyr curious about that.

Thanks-Ben
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I've also seen the pentagram symbol referenced in other works as a symbol of protection against magical forms of attacks or cursing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1