• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can Another Company Steal A Show from another?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I wanna Know what if Toei Created another Dragon ball and called it AF under new title can another company like Geneon, ADV,Viz or Media Blasters ggo for the rights and get other than funi? Because since its under a new title and Funimation only has rights to Db, DBz, DBgt and with this being new will Toei go with them or some other company with more power behind them?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This link should help you find what you're looking for.
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I would believe that its possible unless funimation owns all rights to ANY Dragon Ball related product, show, etc. IF they literally only have the rights to db, dbz,dbgt as seperate licenses then yeah I guess someone else can get a "new" dragonball
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
I would believe that its possible unless funimation owns all rights to ANY Dragon Ball related product, show, etc. IF they literally only have the rights to db, dbz,dbgt as seperate licenses then yeah I guess someone else can get a "new" dragonball

But so be the case it would only imply DB-DBGT and the movies that were made because they were no plans or anything envolve in the licenses that would state that they are garanteed a new Dragon ball series, I mean look at Tenchi, Sayuki and sailor moon. they were licensed by so many different companies also Ah my Goddess. I finally understand, So if a new series was created It wouldn't automatically go to funi but other companies if they put up the money.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Remember though, rumors of a so-called DragonBall AF have been flying around for years, and is nothing more than that rumor. Any pictures out there are nothing more than photoshopped hoaxes. Toriyama has stated that he will not do another DB series, as it was GT was nothing more than a horrible bastardization of the franchise to try and milk more money out of it. Sometimes I wonder if Toriyama just wishes he could unmake the whole concept of GT.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
I finally understand, So if a new series was created It wouldn't automatically go to funi but other companies if they put up the money.

It really depends on an individual basis what the license says. (which we really never know for sure) Yes, you can get a license which entitles you to all future derivative works of a series. (or you can claim you own them *coughHarmonyGoldcoughcough*) There is also right of refusal, which basically means you get first shot to get the license uncontensted, and if you don't want it, then it's up for other companies. Then you can get a per series license, and in some cases a per season license.

But yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath that there will be a new DB series though.
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Remember though, rumors of a so-called DragonBall AF have been flying around for years, and is nothing more than that rumor. Any pictures out there are nothing more than photoshopped hoaxes. Toriyama has stated that he will not do another DB series, as it was GT was nothing more than a horrible bastardization of the franchise to try and milk more money out of it. Sometimes I wonder if Toriyama just wishes he could unmake the whole concept of GT.

I Know about AF and its fakeness but I believe that akira will return when the time is right, And if he wants to forget about GT he sholud make it a dream of one of the characters. but Toei really doesn't need Akira, If they get a really good Director for the series who has a history of story telling and of great action the series should do good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1