• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Exile

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5 list used to be this

1 Neon Genisis Evangelion
2 Full metal Panic
3 Gunbuster
4 Trigun
5 Ghost in the shell (movie)

Now I have seen The Work of the all mighety god him self and Now I am faced with a delimmia. What leaves the list and were?

I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on the show. What you liked , Who you liked and Why you liked them. Please no spoilers about any thing after episode 17 I have not got around to seeing 18-26 yet.

thankx.
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how this thread is based off of Last Exile, i have a question. Is it worth seeing? I have been hearing a lot of hype from the forums about it but it is worth spending the money on it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Seeing how this thread is based off of Last Exile, i have a question. Is it worth seeing? I have been hearing a lot of hype from the forums about it but it is worth spending the money on it?
It's not worth spending $30 a DVD on it, however, it is worth spending ~$20 a DVD if you can find it for that price.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Last EXILE is an Excellent series, in my opinion. The characters are kind of generic if you've been exposed enough to other types of anime, but for the most part I enjoyed their personalities and the way some of them face hardship, coming of age, or whatever it was each of them was experiencing throughout the series respectively.

If you want an overall description of what the atmosphere is like, think feudalistic politics mixed with The Civil War, but with airships and a plot surrounding rebellion towards a "higher power" all while set in a science fiction-ish setting, or something like that.

It's difficult to explain in so few words while not spoiling it, but I hope that helps a little.

The art and animation look pretty clean for the most part (being a Gonzo production) and the music is a fitting mix of orchestral works with a touch of Celtic in it (at least I think that's what it is). The dub is also very good and I would whole-heartedly recommend this series in either language.

If you're still hesitant to actually start buying it then I would at least recommend you rent the first volume somewhere and see if you like it enough to watch the rest.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
If you're still hesitant to actually start buying it then I would at least recommend you rent the first volume somewhere and see if you like it enough to watch the rest.

Or if you don't mind waiting who knows how long, you could wait around for TechTV (or whatever it's called now... -_-; ) to replay it on Anime Unleashed. Although, I'm uncertain on AU's replay policies once they've completed a series... Confused
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It's better to just wait for enough money to get the DVDs. TechTV really dropped the ball with LE in my opinion.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the series myself, it was good in just about every area. I've got all 7 discs with the generic LE box.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rendart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I just ordered the first dvd w/limited edition collectors box for 40$ as a bday gift for myself, it is one of my all time favorites....
So yeah, I can say it's well worth renting/buying.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
It's an alright series, looks pretty enough, but spoiler[ the ending was a weak, disjointed anti-climatic piece of shit. Dio dies for no real reason after all of that development, and the final big stupid battle just... sluggishly drags on and on with no real direction. No one grows up, and the entire thing seemed like it was totally pointless. You don't leave with any sense of satisfaction, or anything else, just... "oh.. the end"]
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
msi435, why not get the box set, instead of paying for them separately. I got mine at www.rightstuf.com, it was way cheap, like $120 Wink.

Sousuke Segari, I have not seen your top 3, so due to that, I would drop Trigun to 6, move GitS to 4, and put LE at 5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Like most people have said, this series is amazing. I loved every second of it. I liked the animation style (I loved the CG with regular animation), and I loved the characters in the series. Each charater had their own little sidestories and problems, yet they all seemed connected, and it made the show very interesting and fun to watch. I also liked the aircrafts in Last Exile. I thought they were sO Anime exclamation Oo cool.

I think Everybody should see this anime at least once, if not twice, or a gazzillion. I think this anime is a great addition to any anime collection.
El Oso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
It's an alright series, looks pretty enough, but spoiler[ the ending was a weak, disjointed anti-climatic piece of shit. Dio dies for no real reason after all of that development, and the final big stupid battle just... sluggishly drags on and on with no real direction. No one grows up, and the entire thing seemed like it was totally pointless. You don't leave with any sense of satisfaction, or anything else, just... "oh.. the end"]

I would have to agree with some of that, but its still a good series IMO. Good animation as well as sound, and it has one of my favorite minor characters- Moran. Delphine is so deliciously evil too Twisted Evil

I also wish I had one of those Guild chess boards Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
I agree, the ending is weak. While I like Gonzo's art and animation abilities, they also have a tendency to write crappy endings. But still, I like the journey from beginning to maybe.. episode 24, a whole lot.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll try to rent it, hopefully blockbuster has it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Sousuke Segari, I have not seen your top 3, so due to that, I would drop Trigun to 6, move GitS to 4, and put LE at 5.

Im sorry but there are two anime that will stay on the top Five no matter what. Eva and Trigun. I amm acctually considering moving bebop out of 6 and sliding Gits in there.

As for last Exile it is Really becoming Amazing. Alex Rowe Is A Verry Cool Charcter And I acctually Enjoy The two main Charcters Claus, and Lavie. The story Really picks up from the beginning and it just keeps getting better and better As i Go.

I am in the process of purchasing The LE Box Set. But the damn thing is Almost 200.00, That sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2