• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SF/mecha anime revival in Japan?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
I've been checking on amazon's anime best sellers regularly for many years now to see what is hot in the DVD market. In the past it's been a mix of Miyazaki films, and various Gundam tv series, Planetes, GIS SAC, Wolf's Rain, a couple Disney titles, more Miyazaki, etc. This week I checked and was surprised to see so many older theatrical (most based off series) releases on the list. Char's Counter Attack, Macross Ai Oboeteimasuka, Cowboy Bebop Tengoku no Tobira, Crusher Joe, and Nadesico Prince of Darkness. Absent were SAC 2nd Gig, Gundam Seed Destiny, Air, School Rumble, and all those other new shows. As far as I can tell the films were not rereleased, or on a special sale. Are fans longing for the good old days of anime? Are they craving more mecha/SF series, and are tired of the current SF series which are in their 2nd season? What's going on?
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
Can you provide a link to exactly what you were looking at on the site? Assuming you mean Amazon.co.jp, I stopped by there and it doesn't look that way at all. I see Miyazaki and Aladdin.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote
If you click bellow the top five best sellers it will show you the top 25. Miyazaki and Disney are almost always on the top 5.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
Oh. Well, that's not surprising, these are all old fan favorites (Cowboy Bebop to a lesser extent, I suppose), so it doesn't seem like a big deal that they'd pop up there from time to time. You're probably reading into this too deep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1