• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Figure 17 - Is this a good show?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I read that several posters have gotten really emotional over this anime. I'd like to know whether any of you have seen it and if so, do you recommend it?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I would also like to know if this series is that emotional. The manga is supposed to be different, and I've heard they cut out a lot from the TV series. I've seen the first episode, and I would recommend it from that because I want to get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Damn straight it's a great show. You owe it to your life to add Figure 17 to your anime collection.

For more information, read the Encyclopedia entry or visit Figure 17: The Fansite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
The manga is supposed to be different, and I've heard they cut out a lot from the TV series.

When you downsize a 13-episode story to a 2-tankoubon manga, you lose a lot of elements in the story:

spoiler[1. Sakura, Tokio and Kuroda do not appear in the manga.
2. Fight scenes are severely neutered. You don't see a Maguar blow up; all you see is Figure 17 prepare for a final attack and that's it.
3. The final episode is practically shrunk to ten pages.]

For all it's worth, the manga does not give justice to the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode of Figure 17 from the Media Blaster sample disc from NTUSA, and from what I witness, I'm ashamed of myself that I haven't watch the rest of this series yet. I mentioned a few times - and this comment was based on several reviews that I read in ANN (mostly Shelf Life) and other sites - that I believe Figure 17 is one of the most underrated series in the market. One thing that bugs me about this series is that it's rated 7 & up, despite that there were some scenes that I don't think would be suitable for younger viewers.

And I agree with areaseven that the manga doesn't do the series justice. It was too short.
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
So the manga came after the anime?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
So the manga came after the anime?

Yes, it did.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
One thing that bugs me about this series is that it's rated 7 & up, despite that there were some scenes that I don't think would be suitable for younger viewers.

Yeah, I don't know why Media Blasters gave the series that rating, especially with the following issues:

spoiler[1. When Hikaru makes her first appearance, she's "naked."
2. Many of the Maguar deaths are rather graphic.
3. Sho's off-screen death is something a kid would not handle.
4. Figure 17's battle damage in some episodes is rather intensive, as she's impaled and acid-drenched.]
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that Figure 17 has one of the best battle themes ever recorded for an anime. You'll find yourself singing along to it halfway through the series. Cool
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's an extremely good show. What makes it "odd" though is that:

1. The episodes are an hour long. This is the opposite of the 15 format that some other show have tried. I think the longer length is generally good, thought sometimes it drags.

2. The this a show about young children though it deals with some mature themes, or rather themes that Americans are not comfortable exposeing children to. It is however very watchable for chronologically mature people.

3. It comes from Media Blasters. Media Blasters seems to pick up shows "on the cheap" or shows that might not make it over here because they are "odd" by western standards in one way or another and are overlooked by wealthier companies like ADV or Bandai or even Funimation.

That means you have shows like this, Twelve Kingdoms, Shrine of the Morning Mist, Shura no Toki etc. If I were to pick a company to pick up a show like say, Cheeky Angel, my bets would be on Media Blasters. Also thier show don't get as much promotion as other shows. Their current big hit, Twelve Kingdoms seemed to earn it's reputation by word of mouth.That is why you haven't heard much about it. I've generally found Media Blasters releases to be good, but never "the next big thing".

All the Best,

Nani?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I saw the first episode of Figure 17 from the Media Blaster sample disc from NTUSA, and from what I witness, I'm ashamed of myself that I haven't watch the rest of this series yet.

And I agree with areaseven that the manga doesn't do the series justice. It was too short.

That's exactly how I feel. I also watched the NTUSA sampler and told myself I had to get this series. But I already have so many other things to get! Anime dazed

Yeah, see, I have the manga. I bought it after I watched episode one so I could see what happens, but it did seem like the anime scenes were longer. I can't believe they only decided to make two volumes out of 13 episodes. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hour long episodes? What's up with that?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
Hour long episodes? What's up with that?

Don't worry. Once you start watching the first episode, you wouldn't even know that 46 min. passed by. Yea, the series is THAT good. Cool
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
I really like the one hour format. I feel as though producers feel less forced to put a fight in every half hour when episodes are half hour which allows for much better drama. The funny thing about Figure 17 is that not all of the hour episodes have fights in them. There is some really good drama which I highly recommend, but the show does favor the emotional over monster fighting action. This is a good thing, especially for a one hour show in my opinion.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I rate this as not only a "must see", but a "must own", as well. Good story line, good animation, charaters that really grow on your heart spoiler[(the ending left me sitting on my couch, all alone in the front room, crying like a baby: and for a 41 year old guy with two kids, it made me realize that all those people who told me I needed to get a life..., were right... Embarassed ) ]

And as for the hour long episodes, they're too short. Once you get interested, you don't want it to end. Even after an hour, you still think, "Is that all?!", and want more. It almost made me want to fast forward through the opening/ending songs; but, alas, those are too good to speed through, so I had to watch everyone of those as well Rolling Eyes . I enjoyed the series so much that I sat down on a Saturday morn', and watched it all the way through; it's like a good book, you just can't quit!!

Haven't read the manga as of yet, except to browse through the first couple of pages of volume 1. But I have a compulsion in that I have to own "the manga-to-the-anime" and vice-versa, so it's all but a done deal I'll eventually get those as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1