• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
post your favorite manga covers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peroxid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know if this topic has already been created... anyway here it goes.

These are mine:

Planetes vol. 4/2 (Makoto Yukimura, Tokyopop)

Akira vol. 4 (Katsuhiro Otomo, Dark Horse)

Ultra Heaven vol. 1 (Keiichi Koike, Glénat)

Hope you enjoy them, and post your favorites!
Reanbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Dengeki Daisy vol. 3

Kamisama Hajimemashita vol. 2

Zombie-Loan vol. 5

I would put Sfumare too, but because it's a webcomic, it doesn't really have a 'cover' Anime cry
HeatLegs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
LAV AND-A PEACEU!!!!!!

littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
To actually make this post a bit more of a discussion instead of just a thread to post pictures, may I suggest you post your favorite manga cover and why? Sort of like a critique?

I have many, but one of my particular favorites is that of CLAMP's XXXholic volume 4. The English editions don't do the covers justice, what with cropping, color alterations (don't get me started on the nasty over-saturation Del Rey does on these covers), and adding text over everything (there are no volume summaries on the back of the Japanese editions).

Each XXXholic volume is designed as a fully illustrated wrap around, giving CLAMP the opportunity to showcase their illustration skills in design and composition, and the XXXholic covers do so with style in my humble opinion. Here's the full wrap around for vol 4.
http://www.deepgraysea.com/images/xxxholic5.jpg

I love how you can't tell whether the birds are really flying, and the illusion is also suggested with the vines. You can tell a lot of planning and thought went into developing the illustration. I feel the cropping of the English edition, bringing more focus to Yuuko in an otherwise busy, illustration with a lot of other things to draw your attention, lessens the impact of it. You don't even really notice the birds in it, and it doesn't even feel anywhere near as balanced, and leads people's eyes to wander off the illustration with the way it's cropped.
Lokarunith

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
My favourite covers are

xxxHolic #18

What atracts me the most is Watanuki's Mona Lisa smile, but I also love the composition and the ilusion created by the flowers.
Overall it seems a bit like an ukiyo-e woodprint.

The Drifting Classroom #4

FREAK OUT!!!

BLAME! #10

Cyberpunk and badass at the same time

Dorohedoro #1 and #8

They feel kinda tripy and underground and the best part is that the covers have texture.

14 Sai aka Fourteen #4 and #8

They are tough provoking covers, just as the story

Mushishi #4

It transmits the feeling of being in contact with nature, just as Ginko's hand touches the tree, i think I can feel the wind blowing.

Zashiki Onna

It looks like one of those paintings form the symbolism movement, although the meaning of those simbols isn't clear to me, which gives the cover an aura of mystey.

Last edited by Lokarunith on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
This is my favourite cover of all time:

http://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/765378-L.jpg

It's so simple, but it says so much. I love beautifully detailed colour illustrations, don't get me wrong, but there's something lovely about this.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote

This is the cover of the first volume of Hiroki Endo's Tanpenshu, a collection of three short stories by the author of Eden: It's an Endless World! This was the cover that came up immediately to my mind when I read this topic - and I usually don't pay much attention to covers (with the exception of Blade of the Immortal, a personal favorite).

This image is quite mysterious and provoking, symbolizing the loss of innocence (one of the main themes of this book and of Eden) and the dark side that lies underneath us, our capacity for violence - it sums up pretty well my view of Endo's work.
Rockleelives!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
[/quote]

I like this cover because it shows luffy and Usopp back to back after there falling out. They are more than crewmates, their brothers, and I thought this cover empasized that.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
I've been wanting to post these somewhere for a while, and I think you guys will appreciate it. One of my favorite manga authors, Igarashi Mikio, does some of my favorite, extremely clever, covers. I love Igarashi's use of color too. He's best known for the series Bonobono.

Here's the front cover of Bonobono issue 22, which at first glance is a beautiful, serene scene of Bonobono the otter standing in the snow.

However, to truly appreciate his covers requires you to look beyond the front. You also have to look at the inside leaves and the back to get the whole picture

Typically the front and back images are a before and after scene. Smile

He did something similar for the series Ninpen Manmaru, but even more elaborate. He turned every issue's cover into a four-panel gag manga by using the outer front, outer back, inside front, and inside back covers. My favorite of all of these is probably issue 4.

Front cover shows Manmaru, Tanutaro, Tsunejiro, and Nennen sitting together on a pillar of rock. Back cover, Tsunejiro says, "Is it about time to go?" and Tanutaro says yes.

Inner front cover, Tsunejiro says, "yoisho" as they begin to climb down.

Inner back cover, Manmaru says, "It was a lot more difficult to climb down that place than it was to climb up" and Tanutaro says, "Who was it that said to climb up there?"

An adorable cover, and another of my favorites, is issue 8.

Front cover shows Nenga (the bear) lifting Manmaru into the air as Tanutaro, Tsunejiro, and Nennen look on happily. The back cover shows Nenga saying, "Okay, next is Tanutaro" as he lifts him into the air and Tsunejiro says, "Me too"

Inner front cover, Tsunejiro says, "Yay!" as Nenga lifts him into the air.

Inner back cover, Nenga says, "Okay, I'm next (hurry, hurry)" while Tsunejiro says, "Of course..." and Tanutaro says, "Was this his plan?" Poor kids. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
I have a soft spot for the Tegami Bachi covers. I think the colors and swirling stars are really pretty. Smile They also get across the tone of the series very well.

Volumes 1 and 3 have my favorite covers:

I love the cover for volume 7 of Mushishi as well. I like how the cherry blossoms dominate the page and how we're looking through them at Ginko. The colors are always very pretty for Mushishi covers as well. I don't know if she uses watercolor, but it certainly has that effect. Smile I like how the English versions order the letters so they almost resemble kanji.

The xxxHolic covers are among my favorites as well. I like the ukiyo-e look of them, as well as how they change subtly from Yuuko being on the front and Watanuki on the back to the other way around as Watanuki develops and spoiler[Yuuko disappears.]
timesteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
sc0000
this is my favorite manga cover by far it's for a short story Tezuka did called a man from mars.
ReAnimate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote

Always loved this one, Trigun Maximum is definitly one of my all-time favorites, and volume 12 has the best looking cover.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for shonen manga! Zabuza is one mean badass, that's why I love this cover so much.

Tokyopop's covers never came close to the originals....such a shame...

End of an era : )

Love the artstyle of this manga, best cover so far ^^
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Cirque Du Freak volume 12 (the last volume). My favorite cover of all time because it shows the changes and developments (for better and worse) the MC and villain go through in the series. It's also a MEGA spoiler, but it's impossible to figure out how until you finish the series.

Soul Eater volume 20. It's badass, what more do I need to say? Wink

A Bride's Story volume 1 and 2. They show Amir's strong and independent side as well as her happy and carefree side. Plus Kaoru Mori's art is beautifully detailed and these images don't do the covers justice.
Neokitty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote

and these because they are so darn cute

Brides story was already posted so I dont have to
There was also a cat udon cover that was so neat but I cannot a pic of it anywhere
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1