• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with delicious ironies.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnrestrictedMethod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I love about anime is that shows that one would think couldn't possibly be good have a way of being good anyway. This is why I bothered at all with Cat Planet Cuties. Having watched episodes one and two via Hulu I find myself far from convinced this is one of those against-the-odds shows as the characters are generic and plot development inorganic. That said one thing did stand out: the irony. The plot of the show is that mankind has already made contact with aliens but only certain organizations know about it. The people who did learn of contact, however, were horrified to find the aliens they encountered to be utterly freaking ridiculous. Most of them just accepted it and moved on but a group splintered off and dedicated themselves to ensuring that when mankind makes its official first contact it will be with aliens that actually look like aliens thus saving humanity the stinging disappointment they feel. At the beginning of episode two one member of this organization says "Come on! An alien's appearance should be so awe inspiring that you know without a doubt it's an emissary sent from the cosmos! Instead I encounter one that even Trekkies would have a hard time accepting is real!" The alien in question being the female lead, a cat-girl named Eris. So, here we have a show driven forward in part by the characters being angry about how stupid the plot of their own show is. I think that's hilarious- and a delicious irony.

What shows do you think contain some kind of delicious irony?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this is a topic which is going to involve more discussion about what "irony" is than anything else.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'll kill the first son of a bitch who posts that damned Alanis Morisette song.

"Ironic" by Alanis Morisette

Yeah, I got a death wish. So what? I'm bettin' ain't got the balls to go through with it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I feel like this is a topic which is going to involve more discussion about what "irony" is than anything else.
Fortunately, "ironic" has a more solid definition English language behind it than a word, like, say, moe.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Full Moon Wo Sagashite has the MOST delicious (and hilarious) irony it's ever been my pleasure to experience in an anime/manga, surely. Anime hyper

spoiler[Two grim reapers come to visit a little girl to stop their future selves from preventing her death but they have no idea it's supposed to be them. Dying girl is singing to fulfill a childhood promise to a friend who is ALSO dead but she has no idea he is. Girl meets many people who are discouraged about following their dreams, she gives them new hope, then when she falls hard, they're the ones to pull her out of it.]

The series might as well be named "Irony Wo Sagashite" (Look For the Irony) because it's so chock full of it; practically every major subplot revolves around an ironic situation. Anime hyper Come to think of it, MANY of Arina Tanemura's series do; Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne being another:
spoiler[A girl is working for an angel who is a servant of God to try to prevent a servant of the devil from winning but actually the angel is secretly a servant of the devil in the first place, so the girl is in reality making the devil stronger and God weaker. Then the angel finally reveals her true colors with a "Lol, look what I made you do all along! Thanks for the help!"]
Harsh, no? I freaking LOVE Arina-sensei!! Anime hyper

Princess Tutu has some wonderul ironic twists as well. And there's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Like KKJ, both series: spoiler[Have the "good guys" thinking they're fighting for the greater good but due to their own ignorance, they're unleashing something that's actually terrible.]
I love these kind of twists. They always make you go O____O "OH F*CK." right along with the unfortunate cast. Anime hyper
UnrestrictedMethod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya's nature as an unwitting god leads to a number of delicious ironies:

Irony #1: She desperately wishes extraordinary things existed but doesn’t genuinely believe they do. Her unconscious acts on her desires but her conscious acts on her rationality thus she’s both the reason why extraordinary things exist and why she never learns that they do.
Irony #2: Probability means nothing to her. The symbols she drew on the school ground were things she thought she just made up, she meant for them to say in an alien language “I am right here” but little did she know the scribbles she randomly drew do say “I am right here” in an alien language.
Irony #3: Upon coming up with the idea to create her own club she started acting like the whole world revolves around her, all the while oblivious to the fact that it does.
Irony #4: After the reveal Kyon finds himself getting involved in more and more weird happenings, the kind of things Suzumiya’s been dreaming of all her life. Except he doesn’t want anything to do with any of it, he just wants to live a quiet life. So while Suzumiya dreams of such adventures and doesn’t get to have any of them Kyon has all sorts of adventures and dreams of being rid of them.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'll kill the first son of a bitch who posts that damned Alanis Morisette song.

"Ironic" by Alanis Morisette

By way of agreement, I prefer the way one VH-1 comic summed up the confusion:
"No: 'Raining on your wedding day' is not Irony...Irony is if you were so afraid of it raining, that you made special plans to move your wedding to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and when you got there, they had their biggest record-setting thunderstorm in thirty years THAT DAY." Razz

That said, can't think of much Irony except the horror-of-the-week Hell Girl and imitators, and even then, that's much of the Tales From the Crypt variety (it's good for the blood!)
But I'll accept the Haruhi Suzumiya list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1