• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steamboy openings...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DownLoadJihad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
The official website says Steamboy will open in "limited" release on March 18th. Any word on what theatres will get it. I'm in So Cal, so I figure it will probably open in OC and LA. I plan to go opening day!
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Well if it comes down here to Dallas me and some friends will deffinately be going. If they don't, well then that SUX, but what can I do except wait for it to come out on DVD. Smile
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I get to see it here in Denver. Steamboy opens at all Landmark Theaders in both a Sub verson and a Dub verson at the Denver Landmarks.
Iria51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It will be here in San Antonio at one of the larger AMC theaters here. Most of the anime that makes it here is usually in one of our art house theaters, so this is good.
DownLoadJihad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
How do you find out where it will open? Call the theatres or something?
Iria51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky that I saw it at the theater when we saw Constantine, but I also check Digital City when I know that a movie is going to open, to see if it is comming to my SA.
Mykelti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Download: Love your General Woundwort! Think Watership Down should be remade by Japanese animators?
You guys will really enjoy Steamboy on the 18th!
I caught it at the NY International Children's Film Festival last Sat.. Very nice! A masterpiece? Probably, though more focused on a global audience -Otomo's hand was seen and felt strongly within! You will experience the very essence of steam in all of its underappreciated glory, in every use to its darker, more frighteningly massive power!
A Different composer for the O.S.T., but hinted at Akira by use of wood/tribal percussive instrmentals. As you know, the english 120 min. shortened dub was presented w/Alfred Molina laying down a tremendous perfomance! Patrick Stweart seemed to grasp his interesting character well, The actress voicing Lavie Head from Last Exile played Scarlet -the blond girl/damsel, and well, Anna Paquin surprised me who was skeptical at first. Recommended.
The film deserved a larger, longer round of applause at its fade to black. The art montage during the credits is fantastic and rewarding for staying -DO NOT LEAVE!
With free t-shirts + Anime insider Steamboy Editions, the most rockin', slammin' new sound system -it all was very well handled. Though sadly Otomo was ill with the flu so could not come, but the animators who did imparted insightful info. during their Q&A. Posters were scarce. I did not attend the dinner reception, (but snuck down to get a glimpse!) so no autographs/sketches or other inside info, but did get some complementary Japanese Oolong tea cans lol!
Supposedly the cut material was only redundant thematic material, more moral messages from Otomo, so no biggie. Enjoy!
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to add something about the wonderful organizers at the NYCIFF: they're a bunch of mothertruckers Evil or Very Mad . Also, I hope everyone who attended the event enjoyed themselves and I may PM you to "ask you some questions" later.
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone have a list of every city it will play in?
toru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1