• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunbustin' action at a reasonable price

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Gunbuster 2 dvds now $20 @ Right Stuf, and Gunbuster 1 collection now $26 @ Amazon. [Thanks to Scott Green for the latter tip.]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
That's quite an amazing reduction. So amazing, in fact, that those who paid the original price for the first OVA might find this somewhat annoying.

Not me, however. I'm just happy to be in possession of a good copy of such a title. The missing musical cue in the first episode is something I'll begrudgingly excuse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
Is Gunbuster worth picking up? I watched the first episode a while back and nothing really caught my attention besides the rather nice animation for the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Zen: Yes, but only at that price, because they changed one of the songs from the training sequence because they were worried about being sued over its similarity to "Chariots of Fire". Evil or Very Mad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Once Noriko heads into space, many a triumphant and rousing moment occurs.

For those who can appreciate the visual and musical trends of late 1980s anime, the series is certainly worth obtaining at the price it currently sells for. The box itself is slightly deeper than two individual keep-cases, and stands quite prominently upon a shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I watched the 2nd episode earlier today, and I definitely feel much better about a potential purchase now. How about Diebuster/Gunbuster 2? Worth it? Obviously this is all subjective, but I like to get ePinions. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
For that price, Gunbuster is absolutely worth it. I'm not sure Diebuster is worth $60 just for DVDs though.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
For that price, Gunbuster is absolutely worth it. I'm not sure Diebuster is worth $60 just for DVDs though.

I think I will be picking up Gunbuster. Finished the OVAs today and thoroughly enjoyed them. For being about 22 years old, the art is incredibly detailed and quite vibrant. I feel as though the execution of the story could have been better, though it may have required a few more episodes to do so. There just seems to be something so likable about the series regardless of any obvious flaws. I usually wait a long long time before re-watching a series, but I think I will re-watch this as soon as the DVDs arrive.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Awesome price on Gunbuster. I payed $50 day one. Don't know about those G2 DVDs though... That's still too expensive for the average R1 consumer. Maybe in three more years (lol), when TSRI offers them for $10 each, people might buy it. Such a shame though because they are really missing out on a fantastic release Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1