• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira Ishida's Non-Anime Roles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Noticed a bunch of stuff on Akira Ishida's Non-Anime Roles section, and wasn't sure how to mark them, or even if I should, so I figured I'd list them here and ask what to do with them.

Quote:
Fuyuhiko Nishino in "Akaneiro ni Somarusaka Parallel" (PS2 tsundere school romance adventure game) (Japanese)

The precision here seems a bit much. Wouldn't VG be sufficient?

Quote:
Count St. Germant in "Animamundi" (VG) (Japanese)
St. Germant in "Animamundi" (VG) (Japanese)

I'm assuming this is the same character (the source is the same). I don't know the game, but knowing the historical figure from other works, I'd say the first one is more correct.

Quote:
Autumn Fairy "Rindou" ("Gentian/Bellflower") in "DEARS Hanakotoba Monogatari ~Ao no Kisetsu~" (CD) (Japanese)

The "Gentian/Bellflower" part seems to be a translation of "Rindou", but the source is neither still available at the link, nor can be found by the wayback machine, so I can't confirm what the listing read.

Quote:
Danny in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1" (live-action movie) (Japanese)

The title of the movie is actually "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", without the number.

Quote:
Reed Hershel in "Tales of Eternia" (VG) (Japanese)
Reed Hershel in "Tales of the Abyss" (VG) (Japanese)
Rid Hershel in "Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology" (VG) (Japanese)

Quote:
Tales of Eternia (TV) as Reid Hershel

This is 3 spellings for the same character. In the English release of Tales of Eternia (VG), the character's name is spelled "Reid". I do not have save files where I can check the spellings in Tales of the Abyss or Tales of the World, but I believe all of the English releases use the same spelling, and so "Reid" should be used for all four of the credits.

Quote:
Mekibos & Prince Tellius Gran Bilseir in "Super Robot Wars Complete Box" (VG/PSX) (Japanese)
The Machinary Children in "Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden" (VG/PSX) (Japanese)
Kaworu Nagisa in "Super Robot Wars MX" (VG/PS2) (Japanese)
Kaworu Nagisa & Mekibos in "Super Robot Wars F Final" (VG/PSX) (Japanese)
Athrun Zala & Kaworu Nagisa in "Super Robot Wars Alpha 3" (VG/PS2) (Japanese)

Should these be listed as separate characters, or groups? From this, Mekibos appears in 2 of the games, and Kaworu in 3, yet if you were to just look at the list you couldn't tell without checking for every entry for the series. I would suggest listing the 8 credits separately.

Quote:
Hero in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)
Main Character in "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

This is two entries for the same character. I'd keep the second one, although my preference is "Protagonist" (the kanji in question, 主人公, can translate to all 3, but my dictionary lists "Protagonist" first).

Quote:
Phallus in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)
Pharos in "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

Also the same character. I can see where the katakana could be read as "Phallus", but it really doesn't even fit with the character at all. The English translated name is "Pharos".

WARNING: This final one has spoilers for Persona 3

Quote:
Nyx Avatar in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)
Ryoji Mochizuki in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

This one's an interesting one. I'll address each one. "Ryoji Mochizuki" is the character's name, he becomes the Nyx Avatar at the end of the game. Technically, it could be listed as "Ryoji Mochizuki/Nyx Avatar", but as the Avatar doesn't show up until the end, and is rather spoilerific, so I'd rather leave it off completely, as it's the same character. Also, the game should be listed as "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3".

Quote:
Secret Character in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

I looked at the source, and seeing as how this is Ishida's only roles listed on the site, based on playing the game, I have to assume that it's referring either to Pharos (who is initially refered to as "Mysterious Boy"), or Ryoji (who doesn't appear until late in the game). The article used for the source was published before the game was released, so it is likely one of those two, as there are no "Secret Characters" in the game. This credit should be removed.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Quote:
Fuyuhiko Nishino in "Akaneiro ni Somarusaka Parallel" (PS2 tsundere school romance adventure game) (Japanese)

The precision here seems a bit much. Wouldn't VG be sufficient?

In my opinion, yes, it is a bit too much. All you ever need for video games is "VG" and optionally a standard abbreviation for the system. Anything more than that is too much. It's still technically correct, though, and since pretty much all of the seiyuu from this game were entered like this, it will take a while to fix this consistently. I'd encourage people not to enter it like that in the first place.

Quote:
Quote:
Count St. Germant in "Animamundi" (VG) (Japanese)
St. Germant in "Animamundi" (VG) (Japanese)

I'm assuming this is the same character (the source is the same). I don't know the game, but knowing the historical figure from other works, I'd say the first one is more correct.

The source includes Count as part of his name so I've taken out the later as redundant.

Quote:
Quote:
Autumn Fairy "Rindou" ("Gentian/Bellflower") in "DEARS Hanakotoba Monogatari ~Ao no Kisetsu~" (CD) (Japanese)

The "Gentian/Bellflower" part seems to be a translation of "Rindou", but the source is neither still available at the link, nor can be found by the wayback machine, so I can't confirm what the listing read.

Can't really say on this one either.

Quote:
Quote:
Danny in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1" (live-action movie) (Japanese)

The title of the movie is actually "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", without the number.

I don't particularly agree with using an (I'm assuming unofficial) retronym either. I'm hesitant on this one since, again, I would have to fix this on a lot of different seiyuu who were in the movie to get it consistent and it doesn't seem blatantly wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Reed Hershel in "Tales of Eternia" (VG) (Japanese)
Reed Hershel in "Tales of the Abyss" (VG) (Japanese)
Rid Hershel in "Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology" (VG) (Japanese)

Quote:
Tales of Eternia (TV) as Reid Hershel

This is 3 spellings for the same character. In the English release of Tales of Eternia (VG), the character's name is spelled "Reid". I do not have save files where I can check the spellings in Tales of the Abyss or Tales of the World, but I believe all of the English releases use the same spelling, and so "Reid" should be used for all four of the credits.

I've corrected this. They're all consistent now.

Quote:
Quote:
Mekibos & Prince Tellius Gran Bilseir in "Super Robot Wars Complete Box" (VG/PSX) (Japanese)
The Machinary Children in "Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden" (VG/PSX) (Japanese)
Kaworu Nagisa in "Super Robot Wars MX" (VG/PS2) (Japanese)
Kaworu Nagisa & Mekibos in "Super Robot Wars F Final" (VG/PSX) (Japanese)
Athrun Zala & Kaworu Nagisa in "Super Robot Wars Alpha 3" (VG/PS2) (Japanese)

Should these be listed as separate characters, or groups? From this, Mekibos appears in 2 of the games, and Kaworu in 3, yet if you were to just look at the list you couldn't tell without checking for every entry for the series. I would suggest listing the 8 credits separately.

All characters should be listed separately, same as with anime roles. I've fixed these.

Quote:
Quote:
Hero in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)
Main Character in "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

This is two entries for the same character. I'd keep the second one, although my preference is "Protagonist" (the kanji in question, 主人公, can translate to all 3, but my dictionary lists "Protagonist" first).

I've just kept the second one here, which is consistent with how Daisuke Namikawa is currently listed for Persona 4.

Quote:
Quote:
Phallus in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)
Pharos in "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

Also the same character. I can see where the katakana could be read as "Phallus", but it really doesn't even fit with the character at all. The English translated name is "Pharos".

Removed the extra entry here too.

Quote:
WARNING: This final one has spoilers for Persona 3

Quote:
Nyx Avatar in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)
Ryoji Mochizuki in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

This one's an interesting one. I'll address each one. "Ryoji Mochizuki" is the character's name, he becomes the Nyx Avatar at the end of the game. Technically, it could be listed as "Ryoji Mochizuki/Nyx Avatar", but as the Avatar doesn't show up until the end, and is rather spoilerific, so I'd rather leave it off completely, as it's the same character. Also, the game should be listed as "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3".

Quote:
Secret Character in "Persona 3" (VG) (Japanese)

I looked at the source, and seeing as how this is Ishida's only roles listed on the site, based on playing the game, I have to assume that it's referring either to Pharos (who is initially refered to as "Mysterious Boy"), or Ryoji (who doesn't appear until late in the game). The article used for the source was published before the game was released, so it is likely one of those two, as there are no "Secret Characters" in the game. This credit should be removed.

On the first one, yes, it definitely seems they should be listed separately. I have re-added those two roles with "Shin Megami Tensei" included so they will be consistent.

On the last one, I've removed it, since it seems obviously outdated and redundant now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1