• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Movie Trilogy question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerberus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in buying the Gundam Movie Trilogy Box Set but I have a question. Is it true that the Movies took scenes from where they originally were and moved them around? I read that somewhere and wasn't sure. Also if true, does that make the movies too much harder to understand?

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ventile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's true, but having seen the movies myself and having understood all of it (at least I think I did =)) I can say that even if parts were moved around, it doesn't make the story incomprehensible.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes they moved things around, no it doesn't make anything hard to understand. The movies are the best condensation of a TV series I've seen.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok, then here is my question:

Is the DVD release the TV series rearanged or the movies themselves?
I ask this because I have only seen the English version (released only for the 20th aniversary on VHS). Is there something different about the movies themselves from the english version.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm interested in buying the Gundam Movie Trilogy Box Set but I have a question. Is it true that the Movies took scenes from where they originally were and moved them around? I read that somewhere and wasn't sure. Also if true, does that make the movies too much harder to understand?

Thank you.

The only thing that was rearranged in the movie trilogy is that the Battle of Solomon takes place after the trip to Texas Colony instead of the other way around, as it was in the TV series. There were a few other relatively important things deleted from the movies; for instance, in the TV series, White Base participates in Operation Odessa and the Gundam actually plays a rather significant role, but in the interest of saving time, the movies set it up so that White Base didn't reach Europe in time for the battle.

The short answer to your question is, no, the movies are not any harder to understand than the TV series. However, obviously if you're talking to someone or reading a website or something, and you've only seen the movies and you're hearing about the TV series, you might experience some confusion. But that's about it.

Quote:
Ok, then here is my question:

Is the DVD release the TV series rearanged or the movies themselves?
I ask this because I have only seen the English version (released only for the 20th aniversary on VHS). Is there something different about the movies themselves from the english version

The DVD release is the actual movie trilogy. The primary difference between the DVDs and the English VHS is that the DVDs are only available in Japanese with subtitles, and they feature the re-recorded soundtrack. The English dub took a lot of liberties with the translation, particularly in the first movie, so if you watch the movies subtitled, you'll get accurately translated dialogue. The other thing is, the original Japanese cast was called in to re-record the soundtrack a few years ago because the old masters were in such bad shape. In addition to redoing the voice work, the new soundtrack also includes new sound effects and different arrangement of background music. Some purists really hate the new soundtrack, but as someone who saw it with both the original soundtrack and the new one, I have to say it's not really a big deal to me either way.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:

The other thing is, the original Japanese cast was called in to re-record the soundtrack a few years ago because the old masters were in such bad shape. In addition to redoing the voice work, the new soundtrack also includes new sound effects and different arrangement of background music. Some purists really hate the new soundtrack, but as someone who saw it with both the original soundtrack and the new one, I have to say it's not really a big deal to me either way.

The nice thing about the new soundtrack is the original was in mono. In many ways the original had a more cinematic feel with a ton of music everywhere, especially at the end where they alternate the 2 vocals for the last half hour. The new versions have a harder warlike feel to them IMO. Even though I love the new DVD cover art, nothing will come close to the old Okawara's headless rx-78 painting for Movie 3. I also really like Katoki Hajime movie one, and Yas's cool movie two cover art which were in the early 90's (7800yen) LD covers.
TF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:54 am Reply with quote
I got a question about Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, the TV series.
I'm currently looking at the dubbed version of it, but out of past experiences, i know that the difference between dub and sub can be very big sometimes.

So that is my question, is there much difference between the dub and the sub version of MSG 0079?
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
There is no sub of the original series anymore. The only sub of the original series is the movie trilogy, due to the original japanese masters of the tv series having gone bad (thus the need to bring back the original cast to re-do the voicing).
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
TF wrote:
I got a question about Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, the TV series.
I'm currently looking at the dubbed version of it, but out of past experiences, i know that the difference between dub and sub can be very big sometimes.

So that is my question, is there much difference between the dub and the sub version of MSG 0079?

In terms of quality of the translation, the TV series dub is pretty good. It didn't play fast and loose like the movie dub did. Some of the voice work is a little spotty, though. For instance, spoiler[Bright's voice actor effectively ruined Ryu's death.] But if you can deal with things like that, you'll be fine with the TV series dub. Tomino was pretty closely involved in it, and they strived to be as close to the original as possible, going so far as to translate Tomino's own mistakes into the dub (ie, Lake Mead became Mid Lake, and the Grand Canyon became the Great Canyon, because that's how it was in the Japanese version). The only real drawback to the TV series dub is the voice acting, but even that's generally not that awful. It just has its moments, like the one mentioned above.
TF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
k, thanks for the answers Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1