• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excel Saga cultural reference (spoilers i guess)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xberserkx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
lol, this is about the 3rd episode (B action movie one) when tetsuko *dies* and when nabeshin takes off the mask i noticed that of course tetsuko looked like julia from cowboy bebop, then the whole sequence was like bebop like when u can't hear what she's saying. however when i watched the dvd with the adv notes on, it didn't mention anything about cowboy bebop. soo is it really supposed to be like bebop or not? because it really seems like it is

oh and yeah excel saga was great Anime smile one of the funniest animes i ever seen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
It's supposed to be a parody of one of Leiji Matsumoto's characters. Julia in CB just happens to look similar. I've only really seen stills of Matsumoto's work, but his style is very distinct.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Yup, it's a Matsumoto parody. If you've ever seen Captain Harlock, Queen Emeraldas or my favorite Galaxy Express 999, you would have recognized his style right away. (Wondered what the heck the train was doing there? It's a Galaxy Express reference.) The ADV notes should have mentioned Leiji Matsumoto; I'm pretty sure I remember reading it on my DVD.

And that whole mouth-moving-without-hearing-the-dialogue thing has been done a million times. It's supposed to be mega-dramatic, but it's overused (which is why it was in a parody Wink).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Yup, it's a Matsumoto parody. If you've ever seen Captain Harlock, Queen Emeraldas or my favorite Galaxy Express 999, you would have recognized his style right away. (Wondered what the heck the train was doing there? It's a Galaxy Express reference.) The ADV notes should have mentioned Leiji Matsumoto; I'm pretty sure I remember reading it on my DVD.

There is ALOT of stuff that the ADV Notes either never mentioned, or the ADV guys never caught.
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Furthermore, I recall that in episode 23 (I believe), the Whitebase bridge officers-puuchuus were miss named. I'm not knocking the Vid notes as a whole, I found them very interesting and even learned a thing or two, but it does shake my confidence in them.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
NeoEllis wrote:
Furthermore, I recall that in episode 23 (I believe), the Whitebase bridge officers-puuchuus were miss named.

Yeah, if I remember right, they got Sayla Mass, Mirai Yashima, & Frau Bow all mixed up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1