• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[diy] Name change required for Takaya Hosogane (#88

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowman 183

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
person#88939

It's just a slight spelling mistake. His name should be Takuya rather than Takaya, as seen on his website.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Names of persons won't normally be changed at ANN (due to the existing data model).

The normal procedure for this case would be that 1. you create the person with the correct name, 2. you give the correct credit there, and 3. you flag the wrong credit as "error". Finally, 4. an encyclopedist may hide (not delete) the wrong credit (so that the system remembers it in case someone else would try to re-enter it).
So most of this error can be fixed by functions that are available to normal contributors, and consequently should be performed by contributors to allow the encyclopedists to focus on the more tricky issues.

This last step won't probably be done real soon as it's no great problem for the database when both the wrong and the correct credit will co-exist for a while. The requests that people will be posting in this forum are usually either of a kind that requires an operation only available for higher staff (such as performing a split of a person) or the processing of the request enables contributors to do things that they couldn't do before (such as hiding wrong kanji names and the like).

(I wonder whether some text like the one above could some day make it into a sticky thread here? The fact that person names can't be changed here may be difficult to understand for contributors... at least I had a hard time doing so.)
Snowman 183

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for all the info. It's much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1