• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letterboxed Series

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that several newer anime are coming out in letterboxed format (when their are black strips at the top and bottom of the screen). Two examples are GITS:SAC and Paranoia Agent. I really like the look, it gives a series a more cinematic feel. I know people that don't like it at all for movies and such, they feel it wastes valuable screen space. I was wondering what other people think?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah~ yes, the Anamorphic Widescreen format. I actually like it anime as opposed to seeing it done on live action movies for some reason. I guess it's because it's so common in live action and not so common in anime.

Other series that do this include .hack//SIGN, Gungrave, Samurai Champloo, and my least favorite, Noir.

Not that Noir was bad in terms of story, music or animation, but if you ever pay close attention, there are these really quick blurs that go across the screen during scenes of fast movements (or even without a lot of motion). Just try watching it in slow-mo and you might see what I mean. Those lines really bugged me while I watched the series.

The previous three I mentioned, though, look great.
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Add Kino's Journey to that list at well, I believe it's the only series I own at this point that's wide screen though
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Haibane Renmei is also in this format. I can't think of others off the top of my head, but I know there are lots. All of the Studio Ghibli films are released in this format (but that's a given, considering they're feature films, I guess). I'll try to think of more television shows in widescreen format.

As for Noir, the problem could be in either the bitrate or the compression, if the blurs aren't intentional. My first guess would be the DVD player's inability to keep up with the faster sequences, but if it works fine with your other DVDs, then it's a problem with the DVDs themselves. Have you tried watching them in another player? (I don't own Noir, or I would check to see what you're talking about.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
I've noticed that several newer anime are coming out in letterboxed format (when their are black strips at the top and bottom of the screen). Two examples are GITS:SAC and Paranoia Agent. I really like the look, it gives a series a more cinematic feel. I know people that don't like it at all for movies and such, they feel it wastes valuable screen space. I was wondering what other people think?

You might want to get a wide screen tv to get the full experiece.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:49 am Reply with quote
There's a slight difference between Letterbox widescreen, and Anamorphic widescreen. Series such as New Fist of the North Star and Saikano have Letterbox, in where the black bars are encoded as part of the video, so you'd still get those black bars on playback on a widescreen TV, or even if you've set your DVD player to play things back at fullscreen.

Anamoprhic Widescreen is the name given to video that is meant for playback on widescreen TV> On a normal TV, the picture will be streched from top to bottom, but you can choose to squish it to it's original aspect ratio by having black bars added to the top and bottom.

Anyway, I think that this should be a standard for just about everything these days. It certianly has it's benefits (more video, duh) and well... shouldn't cost that much more to utilize over normal standard 4:3 ratio things.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

You might want to get a wide screen tv to get the full experiece.

That would be nice, but on my budget that's just not a possibility.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
I agree that anamorphic widecreeen is nice and should be the standard for all new anime. Gungrave and Samurai Champloo looks a lot sharper in 16:9 aspect ratio than 4:3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1