• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When you like the extras more than the feature..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
One of the earliest animes I rented from Netflix long ago was Najica Blitz Tactics. This was before I had watched much anime outside of something like Studio Ghibli.

Since it was a bit of culture shock (are most anime titles like this?) I watched the alternate audio tracks, and found myself laughing out loud at Monica Rial and one of the other actresses (forget who) on the comments track ragging on the silly video. That was my introduction to Monica ("panties!") who when she is not working generally sounds like she's had at least three margaritas.

Been a fan ever since. Also I haven't heard a better comments track since.

Anyway, when I got around to buying my own copy I was disappointed to find that the release didn't have the commentary track! Although I have the title on the shelf I find I don't have that much interest in watching it again.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
YES. I bought Princess Rouge not becuase I liked the show (it's quite 'meh', really), but becuase it has the best outtakes track I've ever heard! ("I was replaced by a sock." Laughing ) I'd love to know someday if those were scripted, or if the VAs came up with it on the spot... if so, they are amazing folks.

The outtakes are also part of the reason I keep my Weiss Kreuz DVDs around... let's just say, I'm not as fond of the show as I was in my early anime days- but the outtakes are still great. "You are not Frank Sinatra, you are a demon..."
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The Humanoid has far better extras than the show itself. The show wasn't good by any means, but it wasn't painful to watch, but a repeat viewing is a must to see all the pop-up comments that made me smile through it. I wasn't smiling the first time through! Kooky, off the wall old-style pop up comments are always fun in my opinion, and here you get gems that have nothing to do with the anime really, but are the best reason to watch. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Appleseed: Ex Machina has an excellent behind the scenes feature talking about anime fandom and the kind of effect it's had on an international level. I thought this was especially cool because I hadn't really seen any kind of extensive coverage to this degree before for anything anime-related. Needless to say, the film itself proved to be more eye-candy and action than what I was expecting in terms of good sci-fi infused with a little John Woo, and thus the extras were a breath of fresh air.
Treiz

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Berserk dvds each have awesome out takes, I wish all shows had them included.
larinon

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
One of the earliest animes I rented from Netflix long ago was Najica Blitz Tactics.

When I read the topic title, even before clicking on it, that's the exact same anime that first came to mind for me as well. And like you I agree that the commentaries were very enjoyable, probably moreso than the anime, too. Kira Vincent-Davis was one of the other participants, by the way. I've noticed I enjoy the commentaries she is involved in, I guess her sense of humor is really in tune with my own.

I don't know why your DVDs wouldn't have the commentary tracks as well, though. Maybe you unknowingly bought a bootleg?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
Texhnolyze. The actual anime left me scratching my head. The alternately dubbed scenes left me howling with laughter. I totally want to see a "Shinji, Hal, and Yoko" spinoff series, and the paintball fight was just epic.

(I do intend to give the anime another try someday - it seems like one of those where you have to watch it over to really pick up on everything.)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Treiz wrote:
Berserk dvds each have awesome out takes, I wish all shows had them included.

So you liked that silly crap over the series itself?... I don't think I've ever seen such a variance in likablility.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bought an anime DVD in a good 3 years or so now (Just got back into it, haven't had the means to buy anything, being out of the country away from home), so I'm still of the era where every DVD was just trailers and textless openers and closers. But the one I remember the best was the commentary for EoE. EoE is a fantastic movie, to me it's better than NGE. The commentary wasn't better, but it was really funny and tongue in cheek and really lightened the mood of the movie. If the movie was anything less than phenomenal, the commentary would've been better.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Madlax has some pretty great extras. The "Conversations with SSS" are great. It's just an alternate dub over certain scenes, but some of them were excellent. Especially the ones involving "Wangdoodles" and the "Taint-Blaster" Laughing .
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ikki Tousen is definitely the essence of this. I find the show to be stupid and boring, despite me liking these sorts of fanservice shows, Ikki Tousen just manages to pull it off completely wrong. It's too serious in its approach and wants to play the story straight, making the ripping clothes out of place. Luckily the OVAs fixed this by removing the extraneous Romance of the Three Kingdoms aspect and just focusing on girls getting naked. Easily better than all 4 seasons put together, and with Koihime Musou thrown in on top of that.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The dub outtakes from the first Negima! series made me laugh much more than the entire show itself. And as you can see through the vid, a lot of the times the VA's reactions fit the lip flaps creating perfect unintentional funny.

I also liked the "Don't tell Maria!" bits from Maria Watches Over Us more than the show itself. They were more often than not quite clever and the more chibi'ed art-style enhanced the funny.

I can't really think of anymore at the moment...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
One of the earliest animes I rented from Netflix long ago was Najica Blitz Tactics.

When I read the topic title, even before clicking on it, that's the exact same anime that first came to mind for me as well. And like you I agree that the commentaries were very enjoyable, probably moreso than the anime, too. Kira Vincent-Davis was one of the other participants, by the way. I've noticed I enjoy the commentaries she is involved in, I guess her sense of humor is really in tune with my own.

I don't know why your DVDs wouldn't have the commentary tracks as well, though. Maybe you unknowingly bought a bootleg?
Najica Blitz Tactics also came to my mind upon seeing the thread title, although I didn't dislike the show itself. Although for pure outrageous humor, I found the Mike Kleinhenz / Andy McAvin commentary on disc 2 better. The ladies' commentary took on an extra dimension to me because I've met Rial and Vincent-Davis at a couple of conventions.

I don't think bootlegs are at fault for HaruhiToy's missing extras. The commentaries were removed for the complete collection -- you have to get the single DVDs to hear them.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't think bootlegs are at fault for HaruhiToy's missing extras. The commentaries were removed for the complete collection -- you have to get the single DVDs to hear them.

Yup. I own the first thinpack that came out, and like most of ADV's first thinpacks, the extras were removed. Although I hear that the most recent release of Najica has them.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
There is one title for which this phenomena is notably relevant. I occasionally look around for copies of Patlabor WXIII on appropriate websites, and I find more copies of the single disc edition than the full box-set (which includes Mini Pato). Due to its lukewarm reception, one has the suspicion that several people may have sold their copy of the main film whilst retaining the additional content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2