• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An anime without any OP at all?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever seen any anime without an OP?

The only one I can think of is From the New World from this season.

There's also Hellsing Ultimate, but that's an OVA, not a tv series.

What is your opinion on OP in anime, would you like to see more anime shows without an OP like in most american shows now a days?

I would, I like some OP songs, but to watch the same OP clip and song for so many episodes is annoying, I'm mostly just skip on them anyway. And they takes time from the show that could be used for more story. Yes, even if it's just 2-3 minutes from a show, when every episode is only 20 minutes long, it's not worth it.

I also think that not having an OP clip give a show a more cinematic feel.

I even heard of people that think OP clips in anime are childish most of the time and they will even make them not watching a show.

What do you think?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it happens here and there will an OVA or something may not have any intro and just goes right into it every episode. But, TV works differently, and the production committees are usually tied to music labels that want to push sales for singers and bands, thus OPs and EDs are inevitable.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, currently airing show From The New World doesn't have one. I don't think I could find any others though.
Quote:
What is your opinion on OP in anime, would you like to see more anime shows without an OP like in most american shows now a days?
Wait what? Most American shows have an OP of some sort, though they're generally much shorter than what anime runs.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Then you have those shows that use the same music every episode, but a different animation. I think at least one of the seasons of Aria did that.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Interestingly, currently airing show From The New World doesn't have one. I don't think I could find any others though.
Quote:
Wait what? Most American shows have an OP of some sort, though they're generally much shorter than what anime runs.

Yeah, weirdly enough it seems like From the New World is the first anime tv show to not have any OP in it. At least as far as I know.

I asked in several forums and no one knew about any other anime tv show that didn't had any OP clip in it.

Could it really be the first?

"Wait what? Most American shows have an OP of some sort, though they're generally much shorter than what anime runs."

Since Lost it became popular to not have an OP clip or to have a very short OP clip in most American shows.

Maybe From the New World could start a trend like that in Japan?!

I know I would very much like that to happen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
FLCL didn't have an OP but it was an OVA so it doesn't really count.

I'm pretty sure there are two or three televised Anime series without OPs, I just can't think of them.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope we don't see this become a trend, I love OPs. I'm actually annoyed at how much the North American shows have cut back in their openings, now generally just having a quick title card. At least some of them do something interesting with it but I'd much rather have a full sequence with song, I've always loved them.

Also we'd lose out on some of the best animation, since studios clearly spend more animated the OP than they necessarily do for the rest of the series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I would also say that the little paid attention to series Ebiten had no OP, it would have a short opening of some sort, and this was usually a parody of what they were doing in that episode. Might also say the ED was significant for being purely live action. ED song
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

US shows cut out themes--and commercials between shows--because with the rise of Tivo'ing and channel surfing, they feared they would literally lose audiences between shows or between the credits and the opening.
Nowadays, shows are bulk-crammed into their slots like cattle, with ED credits pushed aside for the next show's promotion, and animated bugs for another promo show throughout.
(For those marathoning their shows on Instant Netflix, the PS3 app has an annoying feature that automatically goes to the next episode within 20 seconds, and auto-bookmarked to skip the opening credits and dive right into the episode.)

Japan doesn't seem to have that broadcast problem, so they're okay with the "overture" of an OP, and then the "grando suponsaa" getting the first message.
Most of the time, when we don't see an OP, it's the artsy prologue-opening of the first episode, where they don't want to show the OP that gives away the concept before the pilot episode can.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

I've just thought of openings to be a big part of anime. A good opening (and ending) motivates to watch the episode. I do however agree that an opening might turn into an annoyance if the opening is bad and the same for 20+ episodes. Particularly openings don't work well when you marathon through a series and watch the same opening like 6 times in a row every 20 minutes.

Openings (and endings) are still a part of the experience in my opinion and although there are a lot of those generic boring ones there are also those magnificent ones such as the opening of Ergo Proxy.

Anyway did Candy Boy have an opening? Atleast ANN only has endings listed so I guess it doesn't. It has been sometime I saw it though and it is an ONA so does that count? REC was similar in that episodes were short (around 10 minutes) but REC did have an opening. Another ONA that comes to mind is Xam'd and that did have an opening.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
There were some episodes of Bakemonogatari that didn't have opening sequences when it first was broadcast. Though no doubt this was due to Shaft's frequent inability to make deadlines because all episodes have openings on my BDs.

I like openings in general because I like a lot of the music and it can often give you a good preview of what the show might be like (not always true) but unless I really like it, I'm probably only going to watch it once.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia only has an ED, no OP, off the top of my head.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
If we're including short pieces, then Chitose Getchu doesn't have an opener. I wouldn't count it, though.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I would also say that the little paid attention to series Ebiten had no OP, it would have a short opening of some sort, and this was usually a parody of what they were doing in that episode. Might also say the ED was significant for being purely live action. ED song
The TV broadcast does have an opener, and a unique closer for each episode.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I can't recall any recent anime without OP/ED to them.

Perhaps it's just me, but they seem to be getting longer. Makes sense, considering they're pretty good at sucking up the gap of what could be more animation time.

Many have stated, and I concur, most of them now are used to push singles/albums of those who perform them.

Not a bad gig.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Perhaps it's just me, but they seem to be getting longer.

No, they are not getting longer. OPs are commonly ninety seconds long and have been that way for ages; a decade at least. EDs are often a bit shorter, but not by much; say seventy to ninety seconds depending on the show.

I know this from having to watch each and every video on the OP/ED Recommendation Thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2