• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The JesuOtaku Anime Review.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: All this here is very OLD, yeah. Read the third post instead, please. I figured this was better than making another thread. Also, please be kind if I've violated some forum rule, I'm really hoping I haven't, as this isn't "advertising," just shameless opinion-probing.

Hey, I've been making a list of personal projects and fun things to do this summer. None of them really involve anime, heh, save for this one:

I was thinking about making a little video podcast on Youtube. It wouldn't have many episodes because my focus is non-anime fans, answering the question, "What's this anime stuff?" by featuring and describing one good anime per episode for newbies to try while slipping in conventions of the medium in description along with snappy editing and humor.

My greatest drawback is my crappy microphone, but whatever. Very Happy

So, my question is: What anime should I feature? The only one I know I'm going to do right now is Cowboy Bebop. (A given, right?)

THREE CRITERIA:

1. Has to be accessible to your average Joe, i.e. not something steeped in hard-to-get Japanese references (Welcome to the NHK or Excel Saga, hilarious/disturbing as those may be.)

2. Should be a decent length if not of a totally episodic nature. (Something like Inu-Yasha I can't imagine recommending, and I adore Fullmetal Alchemist, but it's really long.)

3. You gotta love it, too! Pick something you know is great, not something you know is dumbed down enough for "Americans." (Don't just say Outlaw Star because of the violence/sex appeal and presence on Toonami, if you catch my drift and, personal bias: I won't be recommending Naruto. It's good for a fight show, sure, but it just reinforces too many cliches average people have about anime. Your granma's heard of Naruto.)

So, lend a hand?

NOTE: I thought this was sufficient enough to make a thread for, but mods, if you see fit, move it to General Questions. Please don't lock it. Pleeeease. Very Happy

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:04 am; edited 12 times in total
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the views American fans gathered in the 90s about anime being this really violent, sex-filled, pretty medium is worth mentioning a la Ghost in the Shell (first movie), AKIRA and Ninja Scroll.

You should probably do at least one Ghibli film, AKIRA's a given even if it's not paired with the topic suggested above. I think Lain, Haibane Renmei or Niea_7 might be worth covering, ok, only one. As far as shounen goes I think Fist of the North Star (film) or Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (OVA)would be good because of their length. I think Mobile Suite Gundam or Patlabor should be mentioned (or both) for intro mecha series along with the shift that came with Evangelion. The newest Astro Boy remake is supposed to be worth its salt (I haven't seen it) or the newest Phoenix adaptation could be used to inroduce Tezuka. Blah, I'm out of random ideas, sorry for this wad of text but I think there should be something in here worth salvaging.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Thanks for the suggestions, Jih2. Obviously, though, I didn't have the time or resources to go through with that project at that time.

But now I do, and while I haven't done the "Intro to Anime" thing, (yet?) I did try for a video review show, as I love to look at anime from a critical perspective overly much and unlike games and movies, there's a sore lack of video review shows for anime. So it's up to da amateurs to fix that! Very Happy

PLEASE WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY! (Your eyes will thank you for it.)

The playlist of videos can be found HERE. The earliest ones (at the top) are kind of rough and not as good, so I suggest checking more recent ones near the bottom. (Or just look for a show you like! Very Happy )

Main profile page HERE. (It's less organized, but that's where all the comments and pretty colors are, if you're into that sort of thing.)

I figure if I'm going to be a fan, I might as well make something with it besides "a nuisance of myself." I now submit myself to your criticism, ANN-ers! Very Happy

Be really honest, I'm kind of a video editing nut and I want anything I make to be as perfect as possible. (One thing I'm already aware of is an excess of footage, and possibly that it's too long, but I tried to make it continuously entertaining to negate any longevity problems.)

It seems with the prevalence of AMVs and other fan material that R1 companies are fairly lax with limited use of their material like this, but I still feel eely about it, so I'm going to try a picture-in-picture approach in future installments, provided that doesn't make the aspect ratio of the finished video really bizarrely framed or anything.

EDIT: Sorry, I keep rambling, but I just now watched these uploads and they are the SHIZZ in high quality! I thought Youtube = crap quality, but man, they look pwetty if you click HQ! *squeal*

Last edited by JacobC on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 16 times in total
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I just took a look at the vid, not bad at all.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I once toyed with pretty much the exact same idea.

It seems that I can put it to rest, since you did an excellent job. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for future releases, and may even use them if I am trying to recommend a show you've reviewed to someone else.

Some random thoughts:

*Reviewing a comedy show is in some ways tougher than a dramatic show, because while you want to show people funny bits to get them interested, you don't want to give away the best ones.

*If you have friends with different tastes, you might invite them on occasionally as guest hosts to illustrate different opinions on a show, if you think that would be in line with where you want the show to go. I was originally thinking about co-hosting with a friend who had very different tastes from me, and between us we could perhaps give people a better overall picture of the show. On the other hand, this might actually hinder what you are trying to do on the show, so weigh it carefully.

*There are a plethora of geeks on youtube reviewing anime and stuff. What most of them haven't figured out is NO ONE looks good on youtube quality videos, especially not when they are sitting in front of their computers in their dorms/bedrooms/living rooms under crappy lighting. You limited your actual time on-camera in favor of clips illustrating your points, which is great because you are showing people how awesome/meh/awful the anime in question is, rather than just telling them. Personally, I would not include any video of myself, or I would find a way to make it gimicky (wear a suit and affect a snooty accent, film myself in a different location for each episode, etc.). Another idea that is almost certainly too much work to do every episode but might be fun once or twice (especially if you have a guest) is to pick an anime character to represent 'you' (and another one for the hypothetical guest) and dub your commentary over clips of that character.

Wow, that was long winded. Anyway, I hope they help get your creative gears turning.

And next time I see a cat, I am totally sticking a balloon on it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
^ Thank you for your helpful comments! Very Happy

* You know, by the same token, the most awesome scenes from a dramatic show can't really be shown, because most stuff is marginally spoileriffic if not MAJORLY spoileriffic. I think the advantage with dramatic shows in this kind of review show is that making fun of them elicits more laughs. You can't make fun of the comedy, it's already funny by itself.

* That would be a GREAT idea, but I'll have to wait until I've gotten several shows out to do it. I'll have to think about a show where my friends disagree with me on it or vary somewhat...

* I was going to do the multiple locations thing. But I do want to open and close the show with myself in person. Just for the heck of it. I didn't want the whole thing to be clips. The dubbing idea, as you mentioned, is neat, but a LOT of work, so I don't know.

P.S. If you do that to a cat, though, seriously, BACK UP. They go spastic and know neither friend nor foe when BALLOONS ATTACK THEM!
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yo, Jesu!

I have two suggestions for you, based on how popular they were with even those outside of the normal anime fandom...

GITS SAC and Evangelion. If those suggestions work for you, then maybe you can work them in there somehow? It's hard to come up with anime that's truly accessible to wide audiences, but those are my two picks.
Ian K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku,

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

One other thing I forgot to mention was that I liked how you included the OP/ED from School Rumble, and appropriately enough used to open and close the episode.

Some other shows that might also be good to introduce noobs to are Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Last Exile, Noein, and Serial Experiments Lain. Okay, maybe not that last one.

After watching JO's FAQ video, I have a suspicion that an Eva review might not go very well. But your right about SAC having wide appeal (even if that fact confuses me).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:

Some other shows that might also be good to introduce noobs to are Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Last Exile, Noein, and Serial Experiments Lain. Okay, maybe not that last one.

I've seen all of those (and will probably review them at some point), and they are pretty good titles for newbies, (except for Noein and Lain, that is.) I figure, however, that I'll only mention the "gateway drug" potential for the REALLY attention-getting series that cross borders for people who would otherwise never watch a cartoon.

Quote:

After watching JO's FAQ video, I have a suspicion that an Eva review might not go very well. But your right about SAC having wide appeal (even if that fact confuses me).

Oh no, I don't hate EVA by any means, but I find it grossly overrated. (Don't most people?) So if I reviewed it, (not sure I would as everyone's seen it,) I would be more prone to pointing out its shortcomings because its numerous merits are already widely known, but not so much the huge old gaping problems the show has. But it's a good show, albeit one that grinds my gears.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
(Started writing this over an hour ago, which explains why I am championing a series that has already been nominated.)

JesuOtaku wrote:
So, my question is: What anime should I feature?

THREE CRITERIA:

1. Has to be accessible to your average Joe, i.e. not something steeped in hard-to-get Japanese references (Welcome to the NHK or Excel Saga, hilarious/disturbing as those may be.)

2. Should be a decent length if not of a totally episodic nature. (Something like Inu-Yasha I can't imagine recommending, and I adore Fullmetal Alchemist, but it's really long.)

3. You gotta love it, too! Pick something you know is great, not something you know is dumbed down enough for "Americans." (Don't just say Outlaw Star because of the violence/sex appeal and presence on Toonami, if you catch my drift and, personal bias: I won't be recommending Naruto. It's good for a fight show, sure, but it just reinforces too many cliches average people have about anime. Your granma's heard of Naruto.)

So, lend a hand?

I gave it some thought, because I wondered what a newcomer to Anime might think of any potential shows. I came to the conclusion that the best thing we can do for them is to shatter - as soon as possible - any preconceived notions they had of Anime being no more mature than Saturday-morning cartoons. But we don't want them to think that Anime is just sex and violence either. With that thought, one particular title sprang quickly and easily to mind.

Kino's Journey.

Criteria 1: Pass.

Your "Average Joe" might think that a show about a tomboy and her talking motorcycle is going to be awful, or at least not aimed at them. However, despite there being no sexual references and mostly restrained violence, this show is mature in the true sense of the word. It deals with themes like accepting one's fate, the meaning of life and work, and whether killing can be justified if it will save another. Strong philosophical questions are raised throughout; indeed, the series covers a large swathe of the same material that is covered in a typical first-year philosophy class.

Intelligent but understated, insightful yet never boring or analytical, Kino's Journey is a prime example of how grownup Anime can be. Any newcomers to Anime expecting this to be a kiddie show because the main character hasn't even reached puberty yet will be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully they will come to realise that just because Anime frequently casts children or teenagers in main roles, it can still be extremely good and deal with "adult" themes.

Lastly, Kino's Journey needs no prior knowledge of Japanese folklore or mythology to understand or enjoy. It is one of the benefits in using a fantasy setting.

Criteria 2: Pass.

Thirteen episodes long, most episodes are single-shot. Released in R1 with acceptable dub. It is also pretty easy to find in online stores. Perfect for a newcomer.

Criteria 3: Pass.

In my honest opinion, it is the superior show in the triumvirate of philosophical/religious Anime (the other two being Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei). It may be talked about less on the forums, but only because it is less controversial and not nearly as strange. There's nothing wrong with the Anime itself. Also, according to the Bayesian ratings, Kino's Journey is better rated than either of the other two.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
JO,

Lain was obviously a joke, but I suppose Noein is a bit complicated as well. I guess it makes up for what it lacks in criterion 1) in Criterion 3) Smile .

Some people would probably be drawn in to anime by each of those (yes, even Lain - it worked for me), but Last Exile probably has the broadest appeal.

Still, I wouldn't characterize any of them as 'gateway drugs' either. Honestly, most of the people I know got into anime because of Bleach/Naruto/DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho, and trying to get them to look outside the 'endless tournament' genre can be frustrating. What were you thinking of when you coined the term?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well, it's a rare kind of show. (I definitely didn't coin the term, though!) A few gateway drug titles I can think of off the top of my head are Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Last Exile, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Rumbling Hearts, Kino's Journey or Wolf's Rain. Well anyway, those are the ones that immediately come to mind as being easily accessible to people who know nothing about anime and aren't necessarily into fantasy or sci fi already. They don't rely on knowledge of Japanese culture or being accustomed to unusual anime storytelling conventions, (can you say Love Hina?) Overall, all those choices are engrossing, albeit in many different ways. That's a big thing, you don't want the first anime you choose to be boring, and a lot of people get turned off and bored at the prospect of watching a limited-animation cartoon, so you have to start with a grabber.

(For those that are into sci fi and fantasy already, the list broadens to include Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Eureka 7 Vision of Escaflowne, Trigun, or Jyu Oh Sei among others. There are many nerds out there who don't know anything about anime, and they're more open, but you still have to cater to their tastes on a first impression.)

I'm being kinda generic because it depends entirely on the person in question what you would pick to show them, so I have to narrow it down to "safe bet" shows. Yeah, you could totally get someone into anime with Kanon or Paranoia Agent, depending on who they are, but they might immediately turn a lot of other people off.

By the way, I'm not really pursuing the project I had outlined in the first post of this thread at the moment, so I'm not trying to figure out what titles to review based on accessibility to non-fans. I'm just reviewing whatever, usually the most recent thing I've seen, just falling back on old favorites or loathings if I hit a rut where I'm not watching anything new.

(On the note of stuff like Bleach/Naruto/DBZ/YYH being really good intros, it's true, but just because they're good intros doesn't mean they're good shows, with the exception of that last one, IMO. Also, they're not adult-friendly. Most tweens and some teenagers would go for them, but they just kinda reinforce some bad stereotypes about anime for everyone else.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I'm just reviewing whatever, usually the most recent thing I've seen, just falling back on old favorites or loathings if I hit a rut where I'm not watching anything new.

I wish you luck with that. It'll be interesting to see what upcoming videos will be like, especially once more serious dramatic fare starts to become the subject of your attention.

dtm42 wrote:
the series covers a large swathe of the same material that is covered in a typical first-year philosophy class.

Now you have me intrigued. Could you perchance go into specifics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I loved the line in the FAQ vid about a dog kicking dirt on its feces.

Overall, good stuff. Maybe you could slow down when speaking a little to make your words more clear and avoid stumbles like colloquialism, but it's not really a problem.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Overall, good stuff. Maybe you could slow down when speaking a little to make your words more clear and avoid stumbles like colloquialism, but it's not really a problem.

Yeah. At least I was able to laugh about it later... Laughing (Coll...colloqui...??...CO-LLO-QUI-A-LISMS! *breath!*)

Again, due to the rush job I had to do on restructuring the audio for that video, it's a miracle I was able to sound halfway communicative at all. I still cut out a lot of mistakes and noisy mike brushes, but I figured "screw it" with a couple of them, "I'll turn it into a joke." Next time that won't happen. I actually have a .txt document on my computer now that has a list of things I did that royally screwed up the ripping, recording, and rendering this first time and NOT to do them again. Laughing Ah, first runs...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18