• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I am glad Sunrise actually made Gundam Unicorn a OVA series.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpgc4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Having watch Gundam Unicorn first episode, i am actually quite happy sunrise decided to make this series a OVA instead of TV. For ppls that never watched any UC series and mainly Gundam Z/ Char's counterattack, the organization and characters that were briefly mentioned throughout the first episode just wont ring any bell to anyone. As a 50 mins OVA first episode, you wont even see gundam unicorn fighting at all until 2 mins near the end, and the amount of dialogue that was involved would just turn any non UC fans off. Remember how "epic" the first episode of 00 was, you get to see 4 gundams pew pewing nonstop, no you wont get that at all. UC gundams was never for super saiyan power showoff until stardust, the character conflicts/development and the tragedy of war were always the main point of UC and I hope it continues to deliver in Unicorn.

Gundam unicorn is a must buy for any UC fans, we didn't even get 1 single UC time line since 08ms, and that is 15 years, actually 10 years if you count TURN A gundam which is set thousands of years after UC.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I think your title is a little misleading. You spent more time saying how good the episode was than on how you liked the fact that Gundam Unicorn is an OVA.

But hey, there isn't yet a discussion thread for this title. Maybe you'd like to make one? Or you could just use this thread. Whaddaya say?
dpgc4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, for one if they made this into a 50 episode series, I doubt any new gundam fans from wing,seed, seed d or 00 would be intersted at all, first they need to watch the older gundams or wiki what is Londo bell, Zeon and Char that was briefly mentioned in the first episode.

Also I expect most UC fans are around age 30-40 groups that can afford full price dvd/blu ray (I am 25 btw). Any teens that loves seed/dseed or OO probably wont even watch unicorn just because it doesn’t have bad azz fight scene and unrealistic super sayan power (yes i am talking about you twin drive, when are you going to use kamikamiha to destory earth, teleporting isn’t enough to defeat cell ya know)

As i mentioned before most UC fans are around 30-40, they dont have time to watch 50 episodes anymore better yet they probably stop watching anime altogether, 6 episodes ova might be a better choice for them if they are still interested in gundam. That’s why a lot of UC gundam stories continued in the form of novel which is targeted mainly at adults.

I just can’t forsee sunrise which strives on making money nowadays would invest making a 50 episodes tv series which generally doesn’t appeal to younger kids. OO 1st was a good attempt to try to target to the young adults and the mature group by involving political events but 2nd season sunrise had to drastily change the story tone and made OO a super sayan.
timesteel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
OVA 2 isn't comming out until fall so im a little disapointed with that but not entirely suprised
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
dpgc4life wrote:
Well, for one if they made this into a 50 episode series, I doubt any new gundam fans from wing,seed, seed d or 00 would be intersted at all, first they need to watch the older gundams or wiki what is Londo bell, Zeon and Char that was briefly mentioned in the first episode.

Oh please it's gundam, the name alone will get people watching, they could've easily made this succeed FMA Brotherhood when that finishes up. I actually have no idea what would replace FMA Brotherhood now since Unicorn is an OVA series. Partly the reason they rebooted FMA was because they wanted series with name recognition to air. Maybe the new Code Geass will take over... but R2 didn't do too flash in the first place..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1