• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] artist names format

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
Seeing that the site lists Family Names second, I've been reporting artist names for example, "Hirano Aya" as incorrect to fit the rest of the website and to have it changed to "Aya Hirano". as far as I can tell my logic seems to make sense to the mods and they have been changing it. however I think it should be listed more clearly which way Japanese artist names should be written in the artist field since it keeps happening with new anime series. In my opinion, I think to fit the rest of the site, it should be Given Name first and Family Name second.

When submitting staff/cast members it's clearly listed which name goes where and I think something like that, shown when trying to add an artist name-would be the easiest way to let people know how to properly format the name.

Last edited by Kougeru on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:45 am; edited 3 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Seeing that the site lists Family Names second, I've been reporting artist names such as "Hirano Aya" as incorrect to fit the rest of the website and to have it changed to "Aya Hirano". as far as I can tell my logic seems to make sense to the mods and they have been changing it.

I don't quite get your point here. I just checked error reports and saw no report about her name being entered in reverse order (often happened in opening/ending themes). If you are talking about manually correcting users using "Hirano Aya" in their posts then I'd say mods have more important things to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Seeing that the site lists Family Names second, I've been reporting artist names such as "Hirano Aya" as incorrect to fit the rest of the website and to have it changed to "Aya Hirano". as far as I can tell my logic seems to make sense to the mods and they have been changing it.

I don't quite get your point here. I just checked error reports and saw no report about her name being entered in reverse order (often happened in opening/ending themes). If you are talking about manually correcting users using "Hirano Aya" in their posts then I'd say mods have more important things to do.
I was using that as an example...I thought I explained it fine but I guess not. Basically, whenever a new anime is released people add the artist as , for EXAMPLE, Toyosaki Aki while everywhere else on the website it including the anime cast of that very page she'd be listed as Aki Toyosaki. Do you understand what I mean now? There's usually at around four anime a season that this happens with, and it would make more sense to have it the same on all parts of the site. So, I think it should be listed clearly somewhere to put Given Names before Family Names on the artist field. My point being, It's not really listed anywhere that's easy to find, which format ARTIST names should be written and it just looks bad when they're written in two different ways like most NEW anime pages do.It would save reporters and mods time if it was listed clearly somewhere which format to use.

This is all for consistency's sake. I'm sure a lot of people don't care but when things are inconsistent like that it really bugs me and it makes the site look less professional when the same name is in two formats on the same page.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well, this text is already at the bottom of the enrty field for all staff:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Format: task: given name familyname (e.g: Director: Hayao Miyazaki)
or task: family name, given name (e.g: Director: Miyazaki, Hayao)

And for cast:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Format: name or name > role or role <name> Lina Inverse or Guard #1 <Bob> Lina Inverse or Guard #1 < Bob Brown

Maybe you think they should make it normal size?

EDIT: phpBB2 must not like something in the cast section, because it flat out refuses to display everything I copy from the cast entry page. You can look at it here.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Well, this text is already at the bottom of the enrty field for all staff:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Format: task: given name familyname (e.g: Director: Hayao Miyazaki)
or task: family name, given name (e.g: Director: Miyazaki, Hayao)

And for cast:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Format: name or name > role or role <name> Lina Inverse or Guard #1 <Bob> Lina Inverse or Guard #1 < Bob Brown

Maybe you think they should make it normal size?

EDIT: phpBB2 must not like something in the cast section, because it flat out refuses to display everything I copy from the cast entry page. You can look at it here.

It doesn't say HERE, in the artist submission page..which is what I'm getting at.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, now I see. Yes, that would probably eliminate a few error reports. Common sense tells you that names should be entered in Western order, like the rest of the encyclopedia, but common sense seems to be becoming more and more rare these days.

And for future reference, I find it's easier to explain things by pointing to them. Smile
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Ah, now I see. Yes, that would probably eliminate a few error reports. Common sense tells you that names should be entered in Western order, like the rest of the encyclopedia, but common sense seems to be becoming more and more rare these days.

And for future reference, I find it's easier to explain things by pointing to them. Smile
Yes, thank you for your help I believe I got my point across well enough now for people to understand. Thank you.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
It doesn't say HERE, in the artist submission page..which is what I'm getting at.

And that's why I said "often happened in opening/ending themes" in parentheses. Looks like I hit the nail but you failed to elaborate on that point; instead, you kept saying thing like "whenever a new anime is released people add the artist as (...)," which further confused me, as I monitored most, if not all, staff lists of newly added titles. You really have to learn that the word "artist" is not equal to "theme song performer."

The wording of submission pages can only be modified by Dan. Like DerekTheRed said, "common sense seems to be becoming more and more rare these days." The submission page already uses Megumi Hayashibara as the example; if the submission rules demonstrated using the name of the most prolific Japanese voice actress can't be followed then I really don't know what would be more effective. There are millions of mentally healthy adults who just ignore traffic lights because they find traffic regulations bothersome, you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1