• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reflecting company name changes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
Is there or should there be a way to make it so that the Encyclopedia knows about company name changes? I'll try saying this so it won't be too confusing, should the name in the encyclopedia be changed to the new name, or should we just ignore the old name and use new titles with the new name? The problem with that is that it makes the old name look like a different company. Is there a way to merge entries so that both companies can have info posted under one header kinda like how cast members can have different names?

Maybe this is an existing issue I haven't noticed before. I only found it to be a problem because looking stuff up I found that Aeon Inc has changed it's name to We've Inc. On certain titles where they've done one title under one name and a sequal under the new name I could see people confusing it for being handled by a different company rather than the same company.

Emerje

(EDIT: OK, here's a really bizare instance. Transformers Armada was done by Aeon, Inc. and released in the USA in 2002. After it's release in 2002 Aeon changes it's name to We've, Inc. In early 2003 Transformers Armada is released in Japan by We've. How do we reflect something like this in the Encyc.? One company making one anime which was released at different times in different countries, but one released before a name change and the other after.

Is any of this making sence?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drone9
ANN News Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote
since I didn't find any other post addressing this issue, I give this a bump. Currently I'm facing a similar problem with a German publisher that was founded as Feest Comics, later taken over by VGS publishing inc. and renamed to Egmont Manga & Anime. some Feest titles were no longer published when it became Egmont Manga & Anime, others were continued. I suggest something like a "former company name" entry.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:55 am Reply with quote
Eventually we're going to allow aliases with companies the same thing we do with people. So the name displayed in the anime will be different but it will link to the same company page. So for now I'd say use the company name that's in the credits, not the new company name. That way we can later set the old company name as an alias of the current name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1