• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FUZZY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
HOw many of you guys are actually buying the new platinum editions of evangelion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
FUZZY wrote:
HOw many of you guys are actually buying the new platinum editions of evangelion?

I am. Was there any paticular question you were going to ask, or is this another "list" thread?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to speak out of turn, but I think it's safe to say a great many of us, myself included. Are you trying to ask if we think it's worth it?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying it as well. But to be fair I never owned the series previously but I have seen it. Its a great series to own and the Platinum edition has a lot of extras that make it well worth it. The video quality is great in comparison to the other releases I've seen and the 12 page booklets are pretty informative.
FUZZY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to know how many people besides me have bought it and another question, do any of you guys know when the fourth dvd is coming out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
FUZZY wrote:
do any of you guys know when the fourth dvd is coming out?

The Encyclopedia wrote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 4) 2004-12-28

And I too am also purchasing it. Of course, I didn't have any of it in the first place, except for a bootleg that I eneded up giving away to a friend for his birthday (*snickers* sucker...).
Alucard27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not. I already have the Perfect Collection, and there's nothing on the Platinum Collection DVD's that would make me WANT to buy them.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
FUZZY wrote:

I am, and I am buying it for the third time. Yes you heard me for the third Time I am getting EVA.

I first had it on VHS

In 2000 I got it on DVD the first time.

In 2004 I am geting it agin on DVD this time the Platinum versons.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I only have the first volume though. And I never have seen this series before so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I too am buying it. I originally started buying the original DVD's early in 2004, and had DVD 1 and the Director's cut, but then I got rid of them, and started buying the Platinum Edition, so far I have DVD 1 (has the missing english dialogue where Shinji is thinking to himself in the EVA). Can't pass up 5.1 sound in both Japanese and English with remastered video.

All I have to do is get DVD 1 (to replace current DVD) to 4 (what's currently available) from DeepDiscountDVD.com for $78.91 (including $6.95 two day shipping). I suppose I could buy them from my tax return.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I don't plan on it, I already have the perfect collection Box set, and as good as the series was, still isn't worth buying twice.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
The Eva DVDs (I only previously owned the initial ADV DVD releases) were amongst my favorite purchases of 2004. They were money spent better than some of those DVDs I bought last year like Geisters and Final Fantasy U. Although they might not be in my top 20 purchases of 2004 they were still worth the money. I guess what it comes down to is that I would rather rebuy something good than buy something new and not-so-good. There are a good number of DVDs which were originally in mono/stereo that I would "re-purchase" if both English and Japanese were remastered in 5.1 DD, or even better 5.1 DTS. I hope the new Bebop mix will be released in the US, but am really tempted to buy the R2s. I also just re-purchased Ghost in the Shell (Movie) since the original has only a stereo Japanese audio track. ADV, who is rereleasing all the Farscapes too, seems to be the king of repackaging and remastering.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
I sure am although I already have perfect collection and the two directors cut dvd's. Hell, I'd even re-buy the movies if the Japanese remastered editions were released by manga, but I’m pretty sure they wont be. I’m pretty sure that five to ten years in the future they will be released again but this time in HD in which time I will buy them again if I am still alive.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm torn-I'm a big Eva fan, and I've only got the series on videotape; what I've seen of the Platinum blew me away. OTOH, I'm trying to save up a nest egg, and there are a ton of movies I haven't seen, books I haven't read, etc. that I could use that money for if I did choose to spend it on entertainment. I've had to deprioritize anime and such in my life; by spending less on anime I'm spending more on actually living and pursuing my own life, instead of kicking back and watching imaginary lives. I recall that someone told Anno that he'd spent all his money on Eva stuff, and Anno called him a fool. I think Anno was right, and it's contrary to the message of Eva to prioritize Eva to the extent that it interferes with really living. Much as I love it, I don't think I should ever watch Eva again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
I sure am although I already have perfect collection and the two directors cut dvd's.

Hm, that reminds me... will the last 6 episodes in the Platium release be the Director's cut episodes? (I've never seen them!) I'm buying the Platinum DVDs, too. I've never bought Eva before, and it's near the top of my favorite animations list, so I don't have any excuses. The commentaries in the booklets are some of the most interesting I've ever read--right on par with the Super Dimensional Fortress Macross pamphlets in the Animeigo release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2