• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump USA changed One Piece name?!...(hallucination?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xiaopingguo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Umm...unless my eyes are decieving me, the One Piece manga being serialized in Shonen Jump USA just had Roronoa Zoro's name changed to Roronoa Zolo. It's been going on for a few issues now, so it can't be a typo. I also notice in the English anime, his name is Zolo. Someone tell me what's going ON??? Cause see, I'm not an expert on this stuff.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
as I wrote in the Anime Forum regarding the same matter with a name...

Quote:

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:06 pm
Re: Hellsing

Alucard, Arucard...what is the difference? Well for one, the "l" and "r" sound pretty much the same. I'm pretty sure there is no "l" sound in the Japanese language, at least as far as I've heard, so Names that can be up for debate are Arucard, Arise, etc. where it would be very reasonable for the "L" to be there instead of the "R"
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
xiaopingguo wrote:
Umm...unless my eyes are decieving me, the One Piece manga being serialized in Shonen Jump USA just had Roronoa Zoro's name changed to Roronoa Zolo. It's been going on for a few issues now, so it can't be a typo. I also notice in the English anime, his name is Zolo. Someone tell me what's going ON??? Cause see, I'm not an expert on this stuff.

The change was due to matching up with the anime. So all the kids who watch the foxbox version won't go "WTH, his name is not Zoro" when reading the manga.

This is old news, and it's small change. I don't think it would effect the story in anyway, so just look pass it. As for the name change in the anime....lets just say someone already has the rights to use the name Zorro exclusively.

Vigilante024 wrote:
as I wrote in the Anime Forum regarding the same matter with a name...

Quote:

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:06 pm
Re: Hellsing

Alucard, Arucard...what is the difference? Well for one, the "l" and "r" sound pretty much the same. I'm pretty sure there is no "l" sound in the Japanese language, at least as far as I've heard, so Names that can be up for debate are Arucard, Arise, etc. where it would be very reasonable for the "L" to be there instead of the "R"

That's irrelevant, because the first 4 graphic novel use the original Zoro name. Whether the the manga use the L or the R was due to the anime. The u.s. version of the anime use Zolo because they couldn't use the name zoro (I think that was the case) and Zolo was the next best option since that's how it sound in the japanese version.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
You're right about there being no L in Japanese. They use the R sylabaries since the Japanese R is a soft sound - halfway between L and R.

So for Zoro/Zolo, in Japanese these are the same!

And there isn't a problem as to ownership of the name zoro, just for a swordsman named Zoro (zorro).

JBV^_^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1