• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Classifies As A Good DVD Release?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know what do you expect out of a DVD release when you buy one or, are going to purchase one?

1. What prices do you look for?

2. What ep counts with prices?

3. Your Ideal price with eps?

4. What features do you like to come with your DVDs?

5. What Ideal price of a DVD with features do you think is good?

6. Your Ideal prices with features and Ep Counts?

7. Does Starter sets indicate a good release?

8. What should be in the starter set?

9. Whats your Ideal price for a starter set?

10. Does Presentation count Ex: cover Art and Cases.

11. Do you like R1 covers or do you prefer company made ones?

12. Do you like Dub Tracks on the english portion of the DVD?

13. Do you like Translation of text on the English portion of the DVD?
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
A DVD should have no less than four episodes per disc for an extended series. A thirteen episode series should be on two discs, no questions ask. No multivolume releases either. Just two discs, one box. I have Spider-Man the New Animated series (used to air on MTV a year and a half ago) and it was $24.99 for all thirteen episodes on two discs. For some reason, domestic anime releases don't like to follow this business model. A single discs of Paranoia Agent is $24.99 and is spread over four DVD's. On top of that, Paranoia Agent only has clean opening and clean ending sequences, for extras. I think that is pretty lame. Spider-Man has all kinds of production art work, interviews and behind the scenes documentaries. I'd like it if anime reflected that business model more, but what can you do. At least more anime DVD's are coming with reversable covers. That I actually like. In most cases, the reversable cover is better than the extras on the DVD. Like Ikkitousen. It came with a pencil pad drawing of Mao and Hakufu as well as a reversable cover. That wasn't that bad.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
You obviously don't understand economies of scale. Anime licensors like ADV, FUNimation, Bandai, Manga, ect attempted to do what other companies do with regular TV series in the US, they would go out of business. How an anime company releases the series depends on the cost of the series. It is very expensive to license a series and they need to recoup the cost the best way they can.

So obviously, how they do it now with 3/4 or 5 episodes per disc is at the point where they can make a proper amount of money. Maybe a sometime in the future they can put more episodes per disc, but now they can't.

We need an economics major to reply with to this thread.

1. I look for a retail of $15-25 ($19-30 SRP) for individual DVDs, I do not pay SRP.
2. preferrably 4-5 episodes a DVD, but I do not care to equate a price with number of episodes.
3. see #1
4. I like commentary tracks, extras like omake, photo galleries
5. see #1
6. see #1
7. I like a starter set, but it doesn't have to indicate a good release
8. A starter set should include one of the following: trinket, a shirt, a soundtrack CD, or even a wall scroll.
9. Retail $30-40 ($40-50 SRP)
10. It doesn't matter to me
11. It doesn't matter to me.
12. Depends on how well it was done.
13. If it pertains to part of the plot, I don't mind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
crion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote

$25-30 SRP works fine. That being said, I rarely pay more than half of SRP for my DVDs.

This very much depends on the series. A high quality OVA with long running time per episode can be 1ep per disc and I would buy it at $25-30 SRP range. For a run of the mill TV series, 4-5 eps per disc. I do buy 3/4ep releases if I think content merits it.

see above.

I don't pay for extras. I pay for the show. The only exceptions are series box and soundtracks bundled with DVD release.

$5-10 SRP bump for box, another $5-10 for soundtrack.

See above

No, I'd rather not pay for extras I don't want just to get a series box.

See above.

See above.

I do appreciate nice artwork on covers and I do like my DVD in standard size DVD cases, but this isn't a major factor.

Depends on the covers.

I prefer original audio with English subtitles.

Do you mean translation of on screen text? It's good to have it as long as it's not done using overlays.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote

I look for the lowest price possible and usually find DVDs ranging from $10-$20 on eBay or online retail stores. I also try to find online retailers that offer free or very low shipping costs like Deep Discount DVD, Overstock, Best Prices, or Digital Eyes.

4 or 5 is the typical count on most DVDs, so I've come to expect that as a bit of a norm. More than that, like what FUNi did with Fruits Basket, is good too, but it's a bit of a rarity. I like for these to be priced around the range I mentioned in Question 1.

Refer to Question 1 & 2.

An uncut presentation of the title itself with accurate subtitles, at least. As long as I have that, I don't care how poor the dub is. Liner notes, trailers and other DVD extras are OK too but not a major requirement by me.

Refer to Question 1.

Combine the answers from the previous 5 questions.

Not really. A good release shouldn't be entirely rated on its presentation alone. It's the content of the anime itself in combination with its presentation that will determine whether or not that title has potential for being a "good release."

A DVD, an artbox, and a good extra item like a soundtrack, manga, or something that relates directly to the given title.

$25-$35, depending on the extra, episode count of the DVD, and quality of the artbox.

In some cases, yes. If I see a title I've never heard of, the box can help convey a little of what content might be in the series and act as bit of an eye catcher for me.

Not sure what you're asking, but if you mean a U.S made cover vs. an original Japanese cover, I'd take the Japanese cover because it's the original artwork and would help retain a little more of an authentic feeling.

Yes. If a company can produce a dub that meets my expectations, then I'll watch it or show it to my friends in English. However, my standards vary depending on the title itself and the company producing it.

It doesn't really matter, as long as they translate any text that's detremental to the story itself.
beast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
For starters, the release would not contain any non-original audio dub tracks. Also, shields and signs with japanese characters would stay unedited.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:
For starters, the release would not contain any non-original audio dub tracks. Also, shields and signs with japanese characters would stay unedited.

You need to tell us a little bit more about this... Are DVD releases in Switzerland still so bad that they still get overlays?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
1) Generally I look for pricing around the $20 range, I'll go up to $25 but prefer to never go above that unless it's something I absolutely can't find and the only place I can find it has the price cranked way up. *cough* Suncoast *cough*

2) They should have 4 at a minimum, I love it when they have 5 but that doesn't happen alot and when it does it almost always drops to 4 after the 1st or 2nd volume. I hate it when I only get 3, but it's not too bad if only a few volumes have a low count, like Last Exile.

3) Not sure what you mean, seems the same question as 2.

4) Perhaps I'm just used to it, but I don't expect a whole lot of features. They usually come with the textless openings and endings, maybe some background tidbits, but that's about it and I rarely expect more than that. The step by step drawing of Henrietta on GSG Vol1 was pretty nice, but certainly still nothing extraordinary. Understandably there's just not alot that can be done with animation as far as special features go so I don't expect a whole lot.

5) Pretty much the same as the regular volumes, most features are extra things they had lying around already and usually has little impact on the production costs.

6) Ummm, same I guess

7) Not really, starter sets are nice but I don't base how good a show is based on that.

8) At least the first volume, decent box art, and some sort of collectors item. The Samurai Champloo item was pretty nice, but the FMP:FUMOFFU one was just a DVD insert cheapy board game, they certainly could have done better.

9) Around $30, primarily depends on the item it comes with and the size of the series, thus the size of the box.

10) Somewhat, not just presentation inside but outside as well. It's always nice having something physical to look at aside from just the DVD's contents. I think the FMA DVD's are the best example of good packaging right now. The cases look great, has quality art and contains a decent sized book in each volume with various artwork and backgrounds.

11) Depends, I can't really think of a DVD I have that I dislike the art on. I think the Twelve Kingdoms DVD's have some of the best art, for obvious reasons as they stay true to the original books.

12) Yes, call me impure or whatever, but I enjoy watching shows in my native language more so than reading subtitles. Unfortunately that leaves me at the mercy of the VA's and translations, but that's just how it goes. I'm not a big fan of most japanese VA's, sure many would love to argue with me on this but that's just my opinion.

13) Yes, as long as it's not edited or interfering with the original image. Put it on the top or bottom, but just leave the original video alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1