• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The way anime is drawn

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not exactly sure where I should post this question, but I'll ask here anways.

My question is, how exactly are anime titles such as Naruto, Paranoia Agent, and Samurai Champloo drawn. The way the smooth colors that stand outs out so well, much better than any earlier anime title.

Anyway, that's all I was "pondering" about... so if I made sense, please let me know Wink

And if I didn't make sense, just yell at me. Anime hyper
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
The thing about newer animes, from the past six or seven years or so, is that, whether the animation is hand-drawn or not, the "ink and paint" is largely digital, which means the colouring can be more "even" than with traditional acrylic paint and *arguably* more vivid.

Not that "vivid" is always better; I find the bright colours of the new Scooby Doo cartoons to be just a tad inappropriate for the mood of the series compared to the slightly darker palette used in the earliest incarnations of the show from the late 1960s and early 1970s. Not that I'm implying that old Scooby Doo was a "dark" show in terms of subject matter, just that the mood was always goofy, spooky fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Also, many of the film prints of older anime titles may have faded. I've seen clips from the film Hakujaden, which was made in the 60's, and it was just as brightly colored as anything from Samurai Champloo. But since it's an acknowledged classic in Japan (probably has a similar status as Snow White does here), it most likely had an extensive digital restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Appaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
You're probably noticing the difference in animation technology. I'm fairly certain Naruto is one of the completely digital ones, especially with the coloring. The use of computers makes it easier to us extremely bright colors (same thing in American cartoons). Anime used to be done completely by hand, and that's why there would be so many inconsistancies in the characters (though many of them would be pretty funny).
I'm not completely sure how Samurai Champloo was produced, but I know that they went completely over budget and could only be shown on the Japanese equivilant Pay-Per-View or HBO to compensate. ^^;;
Oh, if really want to see some impressive comtemporary animation styles, see Kai-Doh-Maru. It's one of the only anime movies I know that can go from black and white, to pastel, to full color without people really noticing that much. *_* But when you do pay attention to the methods used, it's like... dude.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
"It's all about the pentiums, baby!"

Everything is done with computers now-a-days. Everything is cleaner, sound is beter, colors could/couldn't be. Its all a matter of opinions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1