• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Continue to watch anime that is incomplete/slow pacing.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
I've been watching D. Gray Man for awhile now, and for the most part I enjoyed it. Until I found out that not only is the manga still ongoing(doesn't bother me too much) but the anime stopped half way in the story. It kind of tuned me off to finishing the series (which is unfortunate because I was really getting into it).

What I like to discuss is have any of you guys ever started watching as series and you find out it ends on an abrupt notice, or it is ongoing (like one piece or naruto), or it goes at an slow pace.

Should we just accept it as a necessary risk to watching anime or make we get more bang for our buck. Of course I know this is a risk with most shounen, but I'm sure it can apply to other genres.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
I've found it's just something you have to kind of accept. Most anime of light novels/manga are made when the powers that be think the series is at its most popular, so somewhere in the middle of its run. Most anime are made to either sell more books, more games or more toys, not for the joy of making an anime. Only super mega popular franchises will ever get anything like the FMA Brotherhood treatment, or a sequel years down the line, like Inuyasha Final Act. Averagely popular just won't do.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
I bought Kadocha {shouju!} knowing it was incomplete {and if I had seen it first I would have just stuck with the first season}. I knew how the story continues or how it was suppose to continue so I was ok with its hyper visuals and antics merely applied to the first part of the story.

Rather than Brotherhooded up, Kadocha really needed to be Kai'd down; There's a great story but it's just about 60 episodes too many.

Moonphase was another incomplete one, as well as Shaft's other vampire story, Dance in the Vampire Bund. On the other hand, they're determined to get as much of Hidemari Sketch as possible.

I don't see the reason myself but some people must love it

As for the real long runners, the WSJ titles, I stopped after Dragonball as there's no point. The closest anology I can think of is the James Bond series. Hey, do you think Bond will die in the end of the twentieth movie? The answer is "no".

Unless it's Dragonball but death was different back then...
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
The only one's I've watched have all had decent endings, even if they weren't very satisfying. Even the worst one I've seen(Sasameki Koto) ended with a natural climatic point in the manga(which would continue for another 41 chapters).
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
I sort of just deal with it, most animes are adapted from mangas or light novels which are ongoing so for the most part I don't mind. If you seriously look at all the anime, most are "incomplete" as you would call it since the story continues.
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
It's a curse that's not restricted to anime. Live action television in the US has a similar problem. A series will end its season with a cliffhanger and no idea if it's going to be renewed for the next season. After decades of TV watching, I've learned to accept it as a fact of viewership. I apply the same resigned resolution to anime. In those situations, I remind myself that I got enjoyment from what I did see and try not to get angry or depressed over what I didn't get to see.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
It really really REALLY bugs me.....but I'll take what I can get. If the manga continues from the what you'd call a "gecko ending", no problem for me. Very Happy

LKK, your avatar rocks my world. Anime hyper

Quote:
I bought Kadocha {shouju!} knowing it was incomplete {and if I had seen it first I would have just stuck with the first season}

*twitches*
Reading Kodocha's manga beforehand, getting all hyped to see the second anime season and then to be handed....THAT....brings back very unpleasant memories of endless rants littered with cursing left and right.
Very unpleasant indeed.
F*ck the second season. Read the manga.
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I've found it's just something you have to kind of accept. Most anime of light novels/manga are made when the powers that be think the series is at its most popular, so somewhere in the middle of its run. Most anime are made to either sell more books, more games or more toys, not for the joy of making an anime. Only super mega popular franchises will ever get anything like the FMA Brotherhood treatment, or a sequel years down the line, like Inuyasha Final Act. Averagely popular just won't do.

I understand, and I guess it's something we have to accept as anime fans but it also seems there has been anime reboots and sequels (Berserk, Black Lagoon, and Hellsing) mostly as OVA's, do you guys thinks the studios plan this down the road to bait us (maybe not in Berserk's case)into buying more into it.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
This is really the reason why almost all of my 'top 5' anime choices are series which were made for TV and not adapted from manga or a light novel. While certainly the more rare species, a series which is conceived, written, and executed as a TV series is almost always going to be superior to an adaptation simply because they are able to get the pacing right (since they are not beholden to a much broader source material).

That said, I do like some series which were this way. The biggest one for me is Air Gear. I loved it, but of course it ends at a totally random spot in the story which really resolves nothing. But it encouraged me to pick up and start reading the manga, which I did, and boy am I glad - it just keeps getting better from where the anime left off.

So, while it is annoying, it will not stop me from watching and enjoying a series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I usually finish what I start as long as what I'm watching interests me. Really bad pacing issues and boredom inducing storylines like say those of 07 Ghost, I have no trouble dropping though.

I usually don't start something I know is going to end badly which sometimes includes really infamous badly inconclusive things, like say Berserk.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember the moment when it suddenly dawned upon me while watching Princess Jellyfish that it was probably adapted from an unfinished manga. It was not a good moment.

All and all though I think I've been fairly lucky in picking to watch the things I have. I tend to gravitate towards shorter series in the first place which are, generally speaking, based on shorter manga series and therefore, again generally speaking, more likely to have a real ending. Or be able to at least tie things up and give an ending that, while not entirely conclusive, doesn't leave you hanging too much (I'm thinking of shows to Ouran High School Host Club or Gunslinger Girl).
shilisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
That really bother me.I love watching anime,but after a long break,I may not remember where I was and forget the plot.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
As many others have said already, you've to accept it as part of the nature of the medium. In a perfect world every manga gets a complete anime adaption, with no fillers and no delays. But we don't live in a perfect world.

Still, it does bother me sometimes. Actually it depends if I can get hold of the original material or not, and how visual it was (see, Hellsing as a manga sucks, I'd rather see Ultimate). And, of course, if I really care for it.

Most visual novel or light novel adaptions fall short of their original story, often depicting just the starting acts. It's a real personal letdown in the case of Spice and Wolf, because I can't buy the novels in my country. (even then, I watched the show knowing it was a partial adaptation, and I don't regret it). But I don't mind in the case of the Haruhi Suzumiya series, every story is pretty much stand-alone.

When it comes to never-ending shonen, I just read the manga if I want to know about them. Case in point: Naruto and One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1