• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion -- Real Robot or Super Robot?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Ok,this may sound like a weird question at first,but before I ask the real question,I must do small reviews of things,as most of you know that the "Mecha" Genre is divided into 2 seperate sub-genre's "Super Robot" The basic fight the forces of an evil empire using a good to justice human-shaped robot that fires cool attacks (Such as Gunbuster,Diebuster,Dangaioh,or Gurren Laguanne,Voltron or Magzinger Z)

than theres the "Real Robot" Mecha stories that tend to be more realistic with two different nations fighting one another (Such as Gundam,Eureka 7,Geneshaft, and the Macross Franchise)

but however,I've seen mixed feelings and opinions where other people are confused about Evangelion being Real Robot or Super Robot,because at times the Eva Unit's have a monstrous Mind of they're own,and it's storyline taking place in a post apacaly universe where they fight beings such as angels.

So what are your guys thoughts on this? Do some of you consider Eva Super Robot or Real Robot?
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
It’s better to think of real and super as a scale rather than 2 boxes where everything neatly fits.

Eva units like a lot of mecha can't be categorized so easily, most people just call them hybrids.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's hard to categorize the eva units as one or the other. It seemed to pick and choose aspects of both genres to make a general middle ground. I think Evangelion has started a trend of these "hybrid" mecha series. If you look at other recent series like Code Geass and Eureka Seven, they tend to fall into the same bin as Evangelion did. The mecha units in these series tend to hop back and forth between real and super.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I most certainly consider them super robots. spoiler[Their locomotion occurs through supernatural elements; a disembodied soul and a conscious/experiential link between itself and its child is required. No account of the functionings of an Eva unit can be given within the show's universe using only mechanistic terms. Some appeal to a strange mental substance, which is here revealed to be completely distinct from the corporeal one, is needed in order to explain what they are and how they operate.]
Of course, the contrast I make between 'real' and 'super' vaguely revolves around an ontological distinction of substances, as opposed to a distinction grounded in aesthetics or style. Others may view things differently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
If you really want to get technical, you could classify Evangelion as neither, since the Evangelions are actually living organisms. I'd say that they lean a bit more towards the super robot class than they do towards the real robot class.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
If you really want to get technical, you could classify Evangelion as neither, since the Evangelions are actually living organisms. I'd say that they lean a bit more towards the super robot class than they do towards the real robot class.

Having had some time to think about it, I agree with the consensus here...EVAs? Neither Super nor Real Robot. Unlike most bio-mech hybrids, keep in mind that spoiler[ the robot armor constructs (for lack of a better phrase that summarizes what they are) "worn" by the EVAs are not even armor in the strict traditional sense. No doubt they provided some additional protection for the "organism," but they didn't enhance said organism's abilities because they didn't have to. The "organism" was already incredibly powerful to begin with, but extremely hard to contain/control (not surprising, since the organic half of an EVA unit was, ultimately, originally derived from the First Angel. The armor constructs served as more of a restraint/harness for the EVA units. ] So the EVAs, because of this, really cannot fit into any previous designations for mecha that existed prior to or up to 1995-96 (when EVA first came out).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1