• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
gundam manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to get a complete list of the manga but after checking many sites including this one I can't seem to find a complete list so I would like a list of all the gundam manga. I'm a bigger fan of anime than manga so the only manga I want to know are the ones there are not a anime like gundam seed astray and a few gundam wing manga's. I also want to know where all the manga take place, I don't need a whole paragraph on each one but just a short sentence about them. The last thing I need to know is which ones are in english and which ones are japanese only.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Well, firstly, the real tragedy of Gundam manga is that the only ones available in English are Origin, Blue Destiny, Astray (and eventually all of its spinoffs, I'm sure), the Wing spinoffs, and the manga adaptations of the actual anime (i.e. Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, G Gundam, & Mobile Suit Gundam: The Manga). Some of the really, really worthwhile titles like Crossbone & Sentinel do not have (nor will probably ever have) English releases (of course, I'm not saying the likes of Astray & Origin aren't worthwhile—they certainly are—but otherwise we've pretty much gotten around the bottom of the Gundam manga barrel...).

Secondly, I'll have to agree with you that it's rather confusing sorting out all the Gundam manga titles. There are dozens, and sometimes whether or not they're canon to their timeline—or even the timeline itself that they belong to—isn't exactly easy to figure out. The big titles like the aforementioned Crossbone, Sentinel, & Astray are easy, but then it's hard to buy the notion of stuff like Bio-Gundam, Under the Gundam: Almarya, Plamo-kyo Shiro, & Counterattack of Gigantis actually being legitimate additions to the Gundam franchise.

To be honest, most of it still confuses the royal blue hell outta me, too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:15 am Reply with quote
well from what I've seen the gundam manga is to confusing to understand all of it but at the least I would like to know all the important ones that need to be read.I think crossbone was the manga that was suppose to finish the F91 movie. I don't know what sentinel is so when exactly does it take place. I know blue destiny and the wing spin-offs and I thought origin was another manga version of the the gundam 0079 series but your post seems to say that origin is something different, if so what exaxctly is it. If thats all the main ones then I'll go out and find the ones available in english and import the others if I can find a traslation somewhere.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
I think crossbone was the manga that was suppose to finish the F91 movie. I don't know what sentinel is so when exactly does it take place. I know blue destiny and the wing spin-offs and I thought origin was another manga version of the the gundam 0079 series but your post seems to say that origin is something different, if so what exaxctly is it.

Crossbone is indeed the manga compliment to F91, while Sentinel is a sidestory taking place roughly around the time of Zeta & Double Zeta. Origin, or what's been released locally so far, is a revision of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. However, some of the newer chapters coming out of Japan are going into much, much more detail on the background of the series. spoiler[Specifically, it seems to be devulging much of what happened between the Zabi, Deikun, & Ral families, as well as Char & Sayla's lives back when they were Casval & Artesia.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:27 am Reply with quote
While I've a connoisseur under the hand, can you tell me if you think that Blue Destiny is worth the money? 'Cause I live in France and importing stuff from the USA can be very expensive so I've to be careful... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alice20th

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
I think crossbone was the manga that was suppose to finish the F91 movie.

According to something I read from Mark Simmons, F91 was originally supposed to be a television series, but the plans got changed. So they took a section of it and turned it into a movie. I think the movie only covers the first third or so of Tomino's plot. Crossbone Gunam is very much a sequel series to F91 in the same way that Zeta is a sequel to the original series. At lease you find out what happened to F91's two main characters.

A20
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I have never heard that before, but Gundam F91 probably would have been better as a television series.
Matt Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:10 am Reply with quote
alice20th wrote:
cloud1989 wrote:
I think crossbone was the manga that was suppose to finish the F91 movie.

According to something I read from Mark Simmons, F91 was originally supposed to be a television series, but the plans got changed. So they took a section of it and turned it into a movie. I think the movie only covers the first third or so of Tomino's plot. Crossbone Gunam is very much a sequel series to F91 in the same way that Zeta is a sequel to the original series. At lease you find out what happened to F91's two main characters.

A20

If I recall correctly, Tomino originally intended F91 to be both a movie, and a possible pilot to a possible TV series. It never happened obviously. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1