• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How good is Astro Boy?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Is it worth the 20-something volumes? I enjoy the authers works a lot but would like a little info before I invest.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I've heard it's pretty good. The original astroboy is VERY dated, but if you're in a mindset for THE classic, then it's worth every penny (especially if you have the collector's blood running through your veins).

I, personally, don't really have any interest in reading, but that doesn't mean that it isn't good or that it isn't worth purchasing. Considering how GOOD of a storyteller Tezuka was, and seeing how well his style is being followed after his death with the remakes of his stuff, I'd say it's quite worth it to get Astroboy.
che_guevara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The reason why Astro Boy is so popular/famous is because it's often considered one of the first anime, and because Osamu Tezuka is considered the godfather of anime. In reality, compared to the stuff we have now, it's really not a very good series. It's also targeted at young boys, so you should take that into consideration.

Of course, if you're a hardcore classics fans, you shouldn't think twice about getting it.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about that Che. Some of the story telling from his other material has meserized me. he's one of the greatest authors from the 20th centruy, I'll say that. I can't say much about Astroboy though because I haven't gotten around to reading it yet even though I have two vollumes (2 for 1 sale) sitting on my shelf. Going to get to it soon. Even if its more episodic than his other stuff, I really dig the cartoony, oldschool style scifi stuff, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
che_guevara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Ime. he's one of the greatest authors from the 20th centruy, I'll say that.

This, in my opinion, is a HUGE exaggeration. But that's just my opinion.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka is a classic storyteller who, for the most part, created some of the greatest manga ever. That said, I think that Astro Boy isn't his best work. It's very good, and some of the storylines in it are classic, but overall it falls short of some of his later works and some newer manga that I've read. It's still a good read, but not his best.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This, in my opinion, is a HUGE exaggeration. But that's just my opinion.

Tekuka was the Mozart of manga. I doubt anyone will match his huge catalogue of classics. I don't know why some anime fans resent him, becuase he pretty much single handedly created the culture of which we are all fans.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd like it more if it was in chronological order, instead of in the order it was originally published.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know why some anime fans resent him, becuase he pretty much single handedly created the culture of which we are all fans.

This usually occurs because of old school snobs going on about all manga after 1990 sucking or not being able to equal the classics, both which are false statements.
As for myself, I love his works, and I love the message behind them, but he isn't mt favorite manga-ka. One of them for sure, but I would still put people like Naoki Urasawa, Hiroaki Samura and Takehico Inoue above him. Still, he is the greatest of all time in terms of impact and ambition.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you should keep in mind that it was written for kids. But Tezuka didn't talk down to his audience, so it's still enjoyable for most adults. Kinda like how The Wizard of Oz and Kiki's Delivery Service are still good movies even after we've grown up. But the best thing about it is Tezuka's art - I shouldn't have to mention it, but he's a graphical genius on par with Will Eisner and Dave Sim.

But the thing about Astro Boy is that you don't have to commit to it, since there's no overarching plot (aside from the time travel storyline in volumes 6-8). Just buy a volume whenever you feel like reading more of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone licenses Jungle Emperor Leo soon, that is by far the one I'm most interested in reading. I agree that he wrote alot of stories that were kid friendly and inteligent at the same time. Thats not something to be looked down on.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Comparing Dave Sim and Tezuka are we? Not that I don't think Sim is a great artist and exellent writer who has some of the best page layouts around, but comparing someone who's work centers around humanism and someone who's a mysoginistic nutcase is a bit odd. And Tezuka's work never went downhill like Cerebus did as Sim lost his grip on the real world.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mean to compare them in terms of content, because they're obviously complete opposites. It's just that they both strike me as artists who have complete mastery of the comics form in nearly every way.

Also, I've only read through the Church and State storyline, which probably explains why I think so highly of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I've only read through the Church and State storyline, which probably explains why I think so highly of him.

Yep, that would explain it. Not that his newer stuff (aka the "female" half of Cerebus) isn't well written, but it just goes way down in quality and focus, and alot of it was very difficult to read. I assume you haven't read his essays either. Talk about crazy. He actually bases his views of women on interviews he conducted for Mothers and Daughters. He also claims that these interviews was first time he had ever talked to a women without the intention of getting in her pants. This comes from a man who was married.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
I have read his essays, and I think they're hilarious. But I guess I figured that's one of those cases where we can forgive someone for going crazy when they get old - like how nobody mentions that Jack Kerouac talks about how we should have sided with Hitler (he was just trying to protect us from the communist Jews!) in Vanity of Dulouz, which I believe was one of the last books he wrote before he died. But maybe he's too vocal about how he hates women that it's too late, I dunno.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2