• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Oh man, I'm glad the anime changed that."

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
An anime fan (or fan of any medium that adapts something else, for that matter) will often hear statements like, "I can't believe they omitted that part from the manga"; "that didn't convey the light novel's description"; "my favorite cutscene was omitted"; "that wasn't as epic as it was in the game"; etc. All are condemnations on the anime for changing details from the original work. A statement like "doesn't follow the manga" is usually used as a short-hand condemnation of the anime.

How about the other feeling? Do you ever think "I'm so glad the anime didn't keep the details of the source material"?

I have one that I can describe in fair detail: Angelic Layer. The manga had a ludicrous excuse for Shuuko's absence that CLAMP somehow thought was cute instead of, say, cruel. The anime supplied a reason that both allows for sympathy and spoiler[ties into the back story of the setting.] While the anime has fillers, the tournament setup of the series actually meant that they enhanced Misaki's journey, while the manga felt rushed and disjointed. Oujiro was disturbingly creepy in the manga and relied on a gimmick, while he was a likable character with his own personality in the anime.

I actually have similar feelings about Card Captor Sakura and Chobits. It seems that CLAMP adaptations were far superior when the animation studio had a more free reign to to excise all of the disturbing, incoherent, angst-ridden conspiracies that CLAMP likes to insert into their stories.

Your examples?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Minor things: One chapter of Mitsudomoe has the triplets embarrassed about their dad showing up at school with their underwear, so they act like they don't know him and he gets arrested because other people think he's some child predator. The anime changed it so Futaba was happy to see him, but one of the sisters keeps her quiet while the other one says they don't know her and get him arrested, which is more in-line with her character since she's blindly devoted to her dad, so her brushing him off seemed a bit weird.

Medium Things: The Sket Dance anime introduced Saya quite a bit earlier than the manga did. So Saya is present for a lot of story arcs she shouldn't have been in; one of these is a fake Bossun/Himeko date episode. She doesn't do much in it, or any of these arcs, since they originally didn't involve her (maybe a line or side scene to two) but this one is especially nice because of the Bossun/Himeko/Saya love triangle, and her seeing them on a fake date adds to that drama when she freaks out and thinks Bossun is actually dating her so she followed them around on their date and doing comedic things in the background

Major Things: The anime adaption of Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters fleshed out a lot of stuff. I especially liked how Kaiba was included in the final Memory Arc spoiler[even if he was killed by Zorc in the end], where in the manga he was completely absent and only showed up for like one panel on the final page to acknowledge that he still existed. They did a great job fleshing out and expanding on the side characters like Otogi and Shizuka as well, who were extremely minor in the manga.

Personally if an anime can flesh out and improve the manga, I say go for it. Especially if it's a long-running 200+ episode which always has wiggleroom. Naruto did it where they investigated Orochimaru's abandoned hideout, One Piece did it when their ship lands in a Marine base after falling off Skypeia, etc.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently reading Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui. I'm only 100 or so pages into it but it's clear that Satoshi Kon's very much condensed film version improves upon the novel. The film not only leaves out much of the silly psychobabble but it sparkles in a way that Tsutsui's plain prose style can't match (although that might be a shortcoming of the translation). Despite the strange notions about psychology - eg, that schizophrenia can be cured through therapy alone - Tsutsui's bold plot developments are his strength. Satoshi Kon keeps those and brings Dr Atsuka Chiba / Paprika to life on the screen while leaving out much of the dross.

One odd thing is that the Detective Konakawa character of the film replaces a businessman in the novel. There may be a detective character later in the book, and, if so, Kon has condensed two characters into one. Again, this would be a good thing.

Another thing I picked up from the novel is that Atsuka not only appears as Paprika in her clients' dreams but she dresses up as Paprika when she meets them in their waking state. Kon thoroughly blurs that distinction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
There was no way that the Usagi Drop Anime was going to get to the spoiler[timeskip.] That's because of the sheer amount of material that needed to be covered first and there was only eleven episodes to cover it in.

So yeah, even though the Anime didn't specifically try and change anything, I'm still glad the show didn't run for two cour, as that would have been disastrous.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I am glad that Utena is not a faithful adaptation of the manga. The anime was so much better and I have some favourite scenes in the Black Rose arc, which is anime only arc.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd say I'm glad Elfen Lied decided to cut loose a lot of crap from its manga. The plot may have made less sense, but a person with some understanding of taste saying "no" was desperately needed for that story.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm currently reading Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui. I'm only 100 or so pages into it but it's clear that Satoshi Kon's very much condensed film version improves upon the novel. The film not only leaves out much of the silly psychobabble but it sparkles in a way that Tsutsui's plain prose style can't match (although that might be a shortcoming of the translation). Despite the strange notions about psychology - eg, that schizophrenia can be cured through therapy alone - Tsutsui's bold plot developments are his strength. Satoshi Kon keeps those and brings Dr Atsuka Chiba / Paprika to life on the screen while leaving out much of the dross.

I agree. I picked it up after watching the film and found it to be quite a slog. Though the one thing that is better explored in the novel is her weird relationship/fascination with the fat doctor. The way she describes him as this grotesque thing she is inexplicably drawn to is quite interesting.

I also think Haruhi does a great job with its source material. They somehow managed to take all these ridiculous concepts and unlikable characters and churned out a show with plenty of charisma and charm. The novels themselves are nothing short of a painful read.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
There was no way that the Usagi Drop Anime was going to get to the spoiler[timeskip.] That's because of the sheer amount of material that needed to be covered first and there was only eleven episodes to cover it in.

So yeah, even though the Anime didn't specifically try and change anything, I'm still glad the show didn't run for two cour, as that would have been disastrous.

Wait so you don't want a sequel? Or just didn't want the whole story in one sitting(two cour) because you thought the ending ruined the show, so you liked the fact they only showed the good heartwarming parts for the first season?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Mirai Nikki's anime adaptation added in a little filler involving Uryu Minene and Nishijima during one of the episodes that I remember was not present in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Basically the entire series of Martian Successor Nadesico. Anyone who read the manga knows what I mean.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Urusei Yatsura, season 2 and onwards--
The day they finally realized the show would be funnier if--instead ofslavishly following Rumiko's manga stories panel for panel--they could just kick those unfunny one-joke manga stories out the window, and go with whatever jazz variations the animators thought up. Smile

(The same realization they eventually came to when they found out Ranma 1/2's first season wasn't working as the manga's multi-episode serial.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they dropped the goofy comic relief from the Hellsing TV series.

I'm glad they reworked Akira into a movie based primarily on the first half of the manga. The first three volumes are the best part of that story. The latter half is still great but it slips a bit into more conventional post-apocalypic superpowered action.

In Trigun, I like how they develop the world in the anime. Initially you just sort of assume the story takes place in some vaguely defined alternate world and then, half way through the series you find outspoiler[ "Ooooohhh. It's actually the distant future...and another planet...and they crashed there...]and it's really freakin' cool. In the manga they literally just dump this information on you at the start of the second chapter.

I'm glad they cut out the Bakiraka and Devil Dogs chapters in the Berserk anime (and at least trimmed down the pre-golden age stuff). That stuff is largely filler that kinda slows the pace as the arc heads for it's epic conclusion. Plus, the eclipse has much more of an impact when you go into it right from what was more or less a strictly low fantasy series until that point. Having them spoiler[fight an apostle first] kinda detracts from that.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad the anime of Hikaru no Go left out the last arc of the manga (Hokuto Cup), which to me seemed to meander around purposelessly. They did make an OVA which covered part of that last arc which I think worked great and rounded out the series perfectly.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Basically the entire series of Martian Successor Nadesico. Anyone who read the manga knows what I mean.

That wasn't really an adaption.
The manga was the "adaption."
I use the term adaption very very loosely.

And yes, I know what you mean. Dear god. NEVER AGAIN.

As for me, Asura Cryin'.

Don't get me wrong. They cut out a lot from the novels, some of it being quite good. The show had pacing issues so I'm really glad they cut out some of the material because it would've made it much worse in regards of pacing. Not to mention where they ended it being perfect. Answered a lot of questions when it did without bringing up any other ones.

The novels are still going anyway.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Fushigi Yuugi added in an entire subplot in the second half that wasn't in the manga ... and it was so good that Yuu Watase used parts of it in the Genbu Kaiden manga.

I also really like that the Ouran High School Host Club anime decided to throw out the author's terrible idea of "throwing passage of time out the window." I love that manga but that was just really, really sloppy.

And while they aren't anime, I like the decision both the live action Nodame Cantabile and Mars dramas made to introduce important characters (Kiyora and Masao/whatever his Korean name was respectively) much earlier in the narrative than the original manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5