• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated characters.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
We've done a topic on characters that don't deserve the hate they got, so now let's talk about characters that have legions of fans, but you don't know why.

Hideyoshi from Baka and Test- Seriously, if you don't want to be mistaken for a girl, try not dressing like one you androgynous fruit-cake! Such a dumb running gag.

Rukia from Bleach- Not so much that I hate her, but more of how hypocritical her fanbase is. They rag on Orihime for getting kidnapped, and yet they deny that Ichigo spent 100 chapters getting her out of Soul Society. It's like how NaruHina shippers hate Sakura for things Hinata also did (and this is coming from a NaruHina fan).

Aizen from the same series- He used to be awesome, but he just slowly turned into a boring, invincible villain.

Sesshomaru from InuYasha- He's basically a bland pretty boy who hasn't done anything relevant to the series since his introduction.

Naraku from the same series- Think Aizen if it took even longer to defeat and wasn't that interesting to begin with. He's like Seymour from Final Fantasy X, in which the the more he royally fails, he gets less interesting and you just want to heroes to just off him already.

Saeko Busujima from Highschool of the Dead- Tell me if you've seen this before: the stoic, teenage samurai girl who often distances herself from the group. If you answered with 'every Samurai Girl in anime ever,' then you win the prize. Aside from having no originality as a character, she's blander than stale bread. Rei actually has a motivation, non-cliche'd backstory, and personality, and yet people hate her for basically being the most human of the main cast.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kagami from Lucky Star- She's a stuck up little brat in my oppinion, she thinks she's superior to all the others when it's obvious she isn't. She annoys the crap out of me and makes the show less fun to watch imo, I know she's a tsundere but still she can be kinder to her friends.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Saeko Busujima from Highschool of the Dead- Tell me if you've seen this before: the stoic, teenage samurai girl who often distances herself from the group. If you answered with 'every Samurai Girl in anime ever,' then you win the prize. Aside from having no originality as a character, she's blander than stale bread. Rei actually has a motivation, non-cliche'd backstory, and personality, and yet people hate her for basically being the most human of the main cast.

So you didn't find the fact that she's spoiler[secretly a sadist-in-denial, to the extent that she gets a sexual rise at one point out of going all-out at zombie-bashing] to be an interesting angle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Wha? Huh? Someone mentioned Kagami? Where? Oh... Kagami Embarassed Embarassed I love Kagami ❤❤❤

*cough*

Sorry about that.

One of the most overrated characters for me is Light from Death Note, because I absolutely cannot stand the fact this is a barely-out-of-high-school kid who can go head-to-head with a trained professional and best or match him in the constant cat-and-mouse chase.

I would have been more appreciative if Light had lost a few "battles", but not enough to actually lose the war with L. But, it seems the writers decided this would be too realistic, and instead gave us a fantasy.

Homura of Puella Magica Madoka Magi is getting too much support from those who don't understand what the definition of selfish is. I wanted this girl dead so bad. I would have laughed out loud to watch as she was dismembered, eaten, and slowly put to death because that's how much I hate this b*tch. She ruined the series in my opinion. I felt the underline was necessary.

Enough. Go read something else. I want to post in other discussions right now.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to add Kamina from Gurren Laggan- Like Rukia, I don't hate Kamina, but his fanbase irritates me. They deliberately refuse to acknowledge Simon as the protagonist and some flat out stopped watching after spoiler[he died]. I thought spoiler[Zabuza] was an awesome villain in Naruto and you didn't see me disown the series after he died.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya. She's a completely unlikable bitch who never develops and basically does nothing but complain and mess up the lives of the other main characters.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Pinkie Pie. Shocked whoops....
anyways...

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

I would have been more appreciative if Light had lost a few "battles", but not enough to actually lose the war with L. But, it seems the writers decided this would be too realistic, and instead gave us a fantasy.

Well, my impression of Light from the get-go was that he was pretty much the embodiment of a misanthropic teenager's fantasy Twisted Evil .

Animeking1108, the last part of your post makes your first spoiler-tag useless Razz .

I will agree with Kamina, but for very different reasons. I do dislike him, and I really hate it when people try and call him "the pinnacle of manliness." No. He's what a 10 year old boy who's gotten his first taste of testosterone would imagine what a "real man" is. The show was actually redeemed for me for a while after spoiler[episode 8's events. ]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh God.....

KANAME from VAMPIRE KNIGHT.
I hate him. I haaaaaaaaaaate him. Why does he have thousands and thousands of screaming fangirls in both the manga AND real life!? HE'S NOT EVEN ATTRACTIVE.
He's ugly. o_O And he's creepy.

Chi from Chobits.
She has the personality of a tin can. People think she's the "CUTEST ANIME GIRL EVERRRZZZZ111" but all she has are looks. Even with looks, there are sooooo many other characters way way cuter than stupid Chi. Characters that, you know, actually have more than ONE expression on their face? Her voice is just as bland and lame as she is....then there are those dull dead eyes that in truth, are really rather creepy. Of all the humanoid android, robot things of anime, she's the least realistic...and doesn't feel like a person (the way she's intended to) at all. Even Dorthy from Big O who is an extreme robot has a wider range of emotions.

Quote:
Sesshomaru from InuYasha- He's basically a bland pretty boy who hasn't done anything relevant to the series since his introduction.

YES. THANK YOU.

Quote:
Kagami from Lucky Star- She's a stuck up little brat in my oppinion, she thinks she's superior to all the others when it's obvious she isn't. She annoys the crap out of me and makes the show less fun to watch imo, I know she's a tsundere but still she can be kinder to her friends.

Completely. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Haruhi Suzumiya. She's a completely unlikable bitch who never develops and basically does nothing but complain and mess up the lives of the other main characters.

Well....I won't argue over her being too popular but she does develop a little bit. Besides, Kyon has proved to us that he NEEDS her to mess up his life. Anime hyper
There's also the scene from the movie where:
spoiler[After Kyon fell down the stairs and ended up in the hospital for three days straight, Haruhi spent the ENTIRE time in a sleeping bag right next to his bed. I have to give her major credit for that one. Not too many people would do something that selfless.][/spoiler]

Quote:
I don't hate Kamina, but his fanbase irritates me. They deliberately refuse to acknowledge Simon as the protagonist

Da hell? I'm part of his fanbase but OF COURSE Simon is the protagonist. o_O The show REVOLVED around Simon growing up from a timid teen to a manly hero.
...........that's the difference between fandom and fanDUMB. Rolling Eyes

Or it could just be a case of "iconic character". That is, this character may not be the main character, but he/she is what the series is the most remembered for. Kamina is certainly an iconic character but he's not the protagonist, Simon is. In Suzumiya Haruhi, Haruhi is an iconic character, but she's not the protagonist, Kyon is. In Inuyasha, Inu is an iconic character, but he's not the protagonist, Kagome is. And so on and so forth....

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Oh God.....

KANAME from VAMPIRE KNIGHT.
I hate him. I haaaaaaaaaaate him. Why does he have thousands and thousands of screaming fangirls in both the manga AND real life!?

Completely agree. Not only unlikeable, but at this point there's absolutely no getting around that he's flat out evil spoiler[with the revealation that he body snatched Yuki's real brother and what he did to Aido in the last English release of the manga]. How he has a raving fangirl base is completely beyond me.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I can't believe I forgot about her, yes she is sooo overrated, I can't stand her. I feel sorry for the poor SOS brigade for having to deal with her.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
From just the top of my head, I would say Light Yagami from Death Note, Lelouch from Code Geass, Natsu from Fairy Tail, Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto, and Ichigo from Bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
I can't believe I forgot about her, yes she is sooo overrated, I can't stand her. I feel sorry for the poor SOS brigade for having to deal with her.

Isn't that kind of the whole point to it? (take note of my ANN handle)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, but Haruhi herself goes from "funny antics and annoying others" to "straight-up sociopathy and severe social psychoses".
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I didn't put her down because I've complained about her for so long, I'd be beating a dead horse. Same thing with Minami from Baka and Test and Dokuro from Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Well she IS suppose to be God.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3