• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Random thought on Eva...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Doom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Eva is kind of like the movie Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. For those who don't about the movie I'll summarize;

It is showing events from the point of view of two minor characters from Hamlet.

Big events are taking place but never fully explained because it is focusing on the "minor" characters.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
No, The Lion King 1/2 is like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

In Evangelion, the main characters ARE the big events, and responsible for initiating and controlling the situations that eventually turn wide-scale. Virtually everything major revolves around what the characters are doing or thinking.

In fact, my biggest complaint about the original ending is that the minor characters are ignored completely, focusing entirely on the main characters - the "big events" in themselves.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
At the end of Evangelion, though, Shinji is really the only character that matters. Basically, everyone else is in some intermediary stage until Shinji comes to some conclusion.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but virtually everyone around him is dropped off completely. We never get any finality whatsoever in the character cycles of Gendo or Ritsuko, and it can be argued that Asuka, Rei and Misato never really get "anywhere" themselves.
animedork2075

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:57 am Reply with quote
I can see where you are coming from with that. As a young boy with no real family, Shinji is just a lamb in a pasture. However since he is the decideing factor of the end of the story its a relatively false assumption to compare them in my opinion. Because from the begining of story on he is a key player. Now as for the "finality" thing, since Shinji can do whatever he wants keep things the same or start over. Its prety black and white I felt the same way, however you can watch the comentary or the whole thing over or just conclude the thing in your head. Still nothing will ever change no matter what you do. when it comes to a decision. I'd consider total distruction of civilization prety conclusive. He hated his environment so its gone. If he didn't decide anything everything would remain the same untill a decision was made, don't you think? Just something to ponder. (don't overcomplicate things it hurts to think that hard Shocked )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1