• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does anime rock?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goddess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote
Many people like anime, but I've never heard exactly what they like about it. I like anime because it is not so predictable like American cartoons; there's always a twist in the plot. Also, the theme songs for anime are really cool. Cool As everyone knows, the good guys are more than likely going to win, but it takes a while for the bad guys to be defeated, which keeps people coming back for more, to see what happens. Also, with the relationships, the guy doesn't get the girl so quickly. I mean, you know that there's some kind of attraction, but they sometimes show affection, and sometimes not; which is another reason people keep coming back to see if they will ever get together. Wink Anime is just rocks overall!! Very Happy
Rendart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quote
Personally I like anime because it is made for a more mature audience and captures my interest. Also I think this is a healthy hobby as long as you dont OD on it and never leave your house...

-Rendart
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Anime does "rock" on many different reasons but all this topic really is about...is a matter of opinions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Anime doesn't rock.

Shows rock, based on your own individual view of them, but anime as a whole doesn't rock.

I can't think of any anime that are better than US cartoons.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
goddess wrote:
I like anime because it is not so predictable like American cartoons; ... etc.

Eh, I wouldn't be so quick to judge American (or rather, Western in general) animation. There's a surprising depth of styles & audiences beyond simply what you see on FOX Kids & Cartoon Network. Granted, marketing trends & public perception tend to result in Western animation leaning towards episodic, youth-oriented series without definitive overarching plots, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, nor is it true of all Western animation.

On the flip side, anime isn't all "higher-brow" or inherently superior. While, again, the general culture of Japan leans toward a different method of storytelling through animation and a wider range of audiences receptive to animated programs, there are still plenty of youth-oriented, episodic shows to be found (Doraemon, Hamtaro, Azumanga Daioh, and for the older crowd there's even Lupin III and similar shows). The method of storytelling most commonly seen in anime may suit your tastes a bit more, but it doesn't necessarily make our more local offerings "all the same" or "creatively inferior" by default.

Last edited by Nagisa on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Rendart wrote:
Personally I like anime because it is made for a more mature audience and captures my interest. Also I think this is a healthy hobby as long as you don't OD on it and never leave your house...

-Rendart

True but there's a lot of kiddy show that are very popular. The kids show definitely outweight the mature ones.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Rendart wrote:
Personally I like anime because it is made for a more mature audience and captures my interest. Also I think this is a healthy hobby as long as you don't OD on it and never leave your house...

-Rendart

This is funny, because a majority of Anime that isn't made for a family/non-mature audience (Naruto, etc) IS made for people who have an unhealthy obsession and who waste their money and lives on shows that air at midnight.

Anyway, in regards to why anime rocks? It doesn't. A mixture of repetetive story ideas from committies, cheap, low budget animation, offputting character designs, bad voice acting on both sides of the world. I mean yeah, you'll get your somewhat more enthralling older shows such as Shonen Jump titles, Gundam, Macross etc. You'll get your high-end OAV series and TV series such as Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion, aswell as a variety of other things. However, themes and situations used in these aren't always specific to Anime. For every Anime that appeals to a wider audience and gains international acclaim or whatever, you've got about 50 more Happy Lessons, Sister Princess, Grenadiers and .hack//SIGNs.
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Lupin III is a family/kids show in Japan.

Same with Detective Conan.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Some anime has gotten complaints in Japan, too for it's content. Like in Gundam SEED when it was assumed that Fllay and Kira had sex, Japanese mothers actually complained to Sunrise. There were actually complaints to Toei back in 1993 the first time Sailor Moon aired because of the character deaths for traumatizing their children, and let's don't forget the Pokemon seizure incident.

Anime does rock, but it is not necessarily perfect. I'd rather watch Friends for the rest of my life than crappy anime like Tekken (no offense to Friends fans Razz). Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good alternative to some of the things I was into at the time. First anime I got into was Dragon Ball Z. I was mostly an X-Men 1990s animation adaption fan when I first watched it and I just thought it was a really cool alternative to watch (not that I thought X-Men was bad). I thought the fighting, designs, and animation were cool compared to X-Men when I first saw DBZ (this was 10 years ago so don't blame me on this one) and it just got me hooked. During that time, I was later exposed to Yuu Yuu Hakushou (which was called Ghost Fighter when I first saw anime in the Philippines), Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, and other popular anime at the time and just thought it was cool for it's techniques and originality.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1