• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seriously how do some of you people keep up?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I dont' know but there seems to be some people here who know about every anime and every manga. Right now I'm pretty out of touch with most stuff thats on the shelves, I don't know if I'd touch most of it. The only DVDs I have been buying this school season are Aura Battler Dunbine. The only other thing I've been watching is Slayers over again. If I picked up something in the last year it was usually because it was by a creator/director/writer I already apreciated. But most people seem to know everything about everything on these message boards. I'm guessing the answer may be alot of people get their stuff for free over the internet. Thats what I suspect anyways. I hope not alot of people are dropping like 400 bucks a month on DVDs. Of course maybe I shouldn't talk because I buy underground/oldschool hip hop CDs like my fix for crack. Although I usually get those alot cheaper than your average anime DVD. Also some of you must have serious free time. I wish I had that kind of free time right now at school.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Sleep is vastly overrated. Anime dazed

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

so is school work Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

so is school work Shocked

I'll be sure to relay that datum to my students. I have a feeling it will come as a great relief to some of them.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I have LOTS of free time when I'm not in school, but since it's college, it's a lot more flexible. I don't work (not a good combination, as I found out my 2nd semester in college).

Heck, I don't even download fansubs. I can only remember 3 that I've downloaded in my life. I have a friend who does it though, which is how I've come to see most of Inu Yasha way before they started showing the rest of it on Cartoon Network, and I've seen a few episodes of Samurai Champloo and all of GTO (live action).

Other than those, I feel I'm pretty behind, myself. All this talk about Furuba, Full Moon wo Sagashite, One Piece, Monster, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, or Naruto makes me feel abosolutley clueless.

I haven't even seen a Satoshi Kon or Hayao Miyazaki movie yet... and a lot of people have seen those, at least.

I hardly spend time watching anime now and I haven't bought any new titles in a while, but for the titles I do have and really enjoy, I pride myself on knowing what I can because I like them that much (though I still need to study Kenshin a little more).

And out of ALL the 12 years I've been an anime fan, I only have (and have read) ONE manga. Talk about being behind. I've never even heard of Aura Battler Dunbine until I saw you talk about it so much.

But life is a long and strange journey, so I suppose I'll just be patient, take it as it goes, and watch/read something new along the way..
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well in my case I work an afternoon shift 12pm-6pm) usually so I'm able to stay up later and still get my required 6-8 hours of sleep. As for how I know, what I know, about anime, I've been a fan for about five or six years now and am also an avid and frequent user of the wonderful thing know as the internet. Wink

Anyway most of the anime I've seen, I saw on TV, bought on DVD, or was viewed at my anime club. I don't download much stuff as all I've got is a crappy 56k dial-up connection.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I've come to see more anime in the last several months then I ever thought I would hope to. I attribute that to downloading. Yes it may be taboo, but also thanks to downloading, I've purchased more than I would ever hope to. Also thanks to sites like this and others, and newtype, I've learned a lot.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bothered trying since my anime club days (1994-2001).

These days, very little of the series that get a lot of hype on anime sites appeal to me since I generally prefer more lighthearted stuff, so about the only newer anime I buy is Super GALS!, which has the most rewatchable episodes of anything I've seen in ages, and I didn't try to keep up with the volumes as they were being released since I have very little money right now.

Most of the other anime I buy are just re-releases of older anime from the 80s and early 90s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, work wise I'm in a pretty comfortable situation. I work in nursing so I get to do 12hr shifts. 3 days of work and the rest of the week is off. I also get fairly good differentials for working nights and weekends and even though I only work 36 hours, I get paid for 40 (not to mention payed sick days and vacation days). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a lot of free time outside of work. Not that I spend all of my free time obsessing over anime or anything, but I do have enough time and money to stay pretty well up to date in all of my hobbies.

Emerje
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Maybe others here know alot, but I certainly don't. I recognize the names of most anime and may know a bit of what they're about; still there are many, many series that I have never seen and probably never will. Sure, I've heard of Aura Battler Dunbine, Kimi ga something-or-other Ein, and I've even seen an episode of Full Moon wo Sagashite; but that is a long way from being an "expert" on any of these shows.

Between graduate school, work, church, tennis, gym, and a dozen other things that I'm involved with (not the least of which is hanging out with friends and dating), it's amazing that
I find any time for anime. That is one reason that I appreciate CN - whenever they show new anime it forces me to make time and watch some.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
I guess we don't. I know lots of people who collect stuff that is too time consuming for them to have a hope of getting through them in the next few years (usually their pile of unread books). I got tons of stuff sitting on my shelves (not just anime or manga). However, I did a personal Metacritic-like compilation of ten major anime review sites some time back to get a good idea of what was worth collecting. By reading a huge amount of reviews I also gained a good overview of the anime field in general. Doesn't make me an anime otaku though. Heck, I even have trouble remembering names of characters I really liked in a number of anime shows. Wink
Baka...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
Im with gauss. It does seem impossible to keep up with anime now a days and i have no clue how somepeopel do. I've only seen like 4 or 5 series and I've only been on animenewsnetwork for 2 or 3 days. But so far I've learned alot lol. I have actuallly donwloaded most of the innuyasha fansubs, but its not just a good series and me downloading the series isnt contributing to the industry. So its all about buy as much as you can. lol
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
just look at the forums because people find and tell basicaly and when u have school(well 4 me i have 1 period a day when i have free time *3rd*) but yeah just be here everyday to c whats new
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Baka...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:59 am Reply with quote
Lol and then theres us grade 9 students that make 6.50 an hour working at sobeys getting there moms to buy anime over the net with their Visa. Since I cant get to West Edmonton Mall Or HMV ever.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
I do a lot of loaning between friends, renting, and picking series carefully. I take breaks when I have a lot of homework/work and then when I have time watch a lot.

All the Best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4