• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jin-Roh

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I found this anime in the encyclopedia and then i searched the web for a trailer. It looks very...interesting....

have any of you seen it? what do you think of it? is it worth purchasing?

-any info is helpfull Very Happy
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
IT'S AWESOME
A Masterpiece
A Work of Art
Go buy it. Buy it now.
(<---- see avatar)
If you're familiar with Mamoru Oshii, it's his typical super-genius script but with just the right amount of heart injected by the young and very talented director Hiroyuki Okiura, who I really want to see direct something else.

YOU HEAR THAT PRODUCTION I.G? GIVE OKIURA ANOTHER MOVIE!
[/end fanboy rant]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
To quote myself from another thread, please read this post and this post.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Since it seems only fair to provide a little balance to this thread, it becomes my lot in life to utter the fateful words

(cue echoing voice for dramatc effect)

"Meh. It's okay, I suppose - but don't expect too much."

(echoing voice, off)

Jin-Roh is one of those anime that will either take your breath away, and leave you stuttering accolades:

Dan42 wrote:
IT'S AWESOME
A Masterpiece
A Work of Art
Go buy it. Buy it now.

... or it will leave you cold. The chances of thinking it is "a work of genius", versus "just another fairly good anime", are about sixty-forty, I think.

On the other hand, there are several other anime (Evangelion, Inu Yasha) which have large groups of fanatical devotees who will extol their glory. That doesn't mean these anime are as great as claimed, it just means their fans are predictably fanatic. Wink

Still, the fans might always be right about Jin-Roh.

So, my advice is: I don't particularly like it myself, but you ought to see it, since there is a better than average chance that you'll like it very much. If you lose the "lottery" and turn out (like me) to be someone who thinks its just another anime - well, then, we'll have something to talk about...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
you gotta love this movie, it's probably the only anime in existence that encourages you to hate the main character.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
what anime would you guys compare it too?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
what anime would you guys compare it too?

You didn't read my post, did you?

Tony K. wrote:
I can't really make any comparisons except for maybe Ghost in the Shell (the movie), since the storyboard and creation for Jin-Roh are also by Mamoru Oshii. So if you somewhat like the original GitS movie, you may like this, but don't expect a lot of action.
loveyuuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
iono... Jin Roh is cool and all, but its not my thing, i mean i bought a version, and the drawings are cool Very Happy. However, it took me a few tries to actually get the FULL understanding, everything went waaaay to fast in this movie, for me anyways...

Razz
Iria51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Jin Roh is loosly based on the German version (i.e. the original and unedited version) of Little Red Riding Hood if you can believe it. It is a pretty serious movie with a lot of character interaction and symbolism. I actually liked the ending and felt more sorry for the protagonist towards the end. The music was outstanding as well, in my opinion. Worth a watch.
animedork2075

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
you gotta love this movie, it's probably the only anime in existence that encourages you to hate the main character.

not necessairly true Shinji Ikari from Evangelionis a charictor that begs to be hated especially when all is said and done. (personal opinion) anyway as for Jin-Roh it has a few slow parts but all in all i'd rate it a 5-6 out of 10 good not quite a masterpice (also personal opinion) on story, however incredible animation.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:56 am Reply with quote
I rented it, when it first came out, not a fan. It wasn't awful or anything but it wasn't very good in my opinion either. The characters were pretty shallow and the ending just sucked.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quote
I was unimpressed until the last 15 minutes or so, when everything came together and built towards the conclusion. The last 30 seconds or so just blew me away; I consider it the most powerful ending in any anime I've seen.

If you didn't like it so much the first time, give it a second try. With this one I think it helps in appreciating it to know where it's going.

I give it an A- grade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
loveyuuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
I agree with key, the story as said by someone else earlier, is based on the german story of little red riding hood. ^^v i thought the story went kinda too slow, and as key said, at the last 15 minutes, it finally came together! and then, IT MADE SENSE ^^

but hey, thats just me ^^
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
i went to amazon to find the dvds and there are 3 versions of it, one for $4, $17, and $50.

whats the difference?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
i went to amazon to find the dvds and there are 3 versions of it, one for $4, $17, and $50.

whats the difference?

I'd recommend this site instead. As far as I know, there are two regular editions and one special edition. And as seen on the page I've linked you to, the only difference between the two regular editions is the distrubtor (one being Bandai, the other being Geneon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3