• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukiyomi or Tsukuyomi (#4310 and #4311)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea why 月 was called "Tsuku" instead of "Tsuki" (as in Tsukihime and Tsukikage Ran) in "Tsukuyomi (月詠)," but since this is its official title and URL,

we might have to change the title of its anime and manga from "Tsukiyomi" to "Tsukuyomi."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I have no idea why 月 was called "Tsuku" instead of "Tsuki" (as in Tsukihime and Tsukikage Ran) in "Tsukuyomi (月詠),"

I have a modest suggestion as to why this is the case.

1) 月 (kunyomi reading: つき) - "month, moon"
2) 詠 (kunyomi reading: よむ) - "recitation, poem, song, composing"

From this, it should seem true that the combination should be read つきよむ, tsukiyomu. The meaning being "Moonsong", by the way, not "Moon Phase" (which would be 月相, gessou).

However, there is one clear-cut precedent for combining 月 with kanji that read よ and み to produce a reading of つくよみ. This is the name of the kami Tsukuyomi no mikoto, the Moon god, brother of Amaterasu Oomikami. His name is written 月夜見の尊, and read つくよみのみこと.

I suggest that this precedent is at least part of why the く came to replace the き in the reading of 月詠. Of course, that still leaves the problem of む being replaced by み up in the air...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1