• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who else is completely obsessed with Ranma 1/2?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ran-Chan fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm overly obsessed and I was just wondering if anyone else was... my friends all think I'm nuts!
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I was back in 1995. Not so much anymore... It was one of my first loves, though. That and BGC....
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
one of my first, good show, good manga Very Happy
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some of it. Hard to finish a show that goes on like that one did.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I've seen most of it up to Season 5 episode 20. I want to buy it now, but I'll wind up spending close to $1000 to get it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all the TV series and the OAV, but I haven't seen the movies yet.

For the most part, I think it's a very entertaining series. It's got a good mix of comedy and martial arts slapstick (though no story, whatsoever).

I like the dub (being a big fan of Ocean Studios) and I'd like to watch it again in Japanese someday, as it has an all-star cast, in my opinion. Smile

I'd recommend this series for any newbie in anime. The comedy is so off the wall, you can't help but laugh at least a little, though it's a bit unfortunate that the series is 161 episodes, which can turn a lot of people away after about Seasons 5 and 6 (where some of it gets a little old).
qollocust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
I got really into this summer when I found out some of the local libraries carried it. It's really funny and entertaining, but I wish the plot would advance faster.....
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
I was back in 1995. Not so much anymore...

I pretty much agree with gnollman. Back when I first saw, it rocked, but as the seasons went on, it started to get alittle dull, but it was still fun to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
nagash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:13 am Reply with quote
My yahoo ID is based on ranma. It's hilarious if you enter a chat room as people are trying to throw water on you (and no, I cannot print the results :wink: )
REIKO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
Hope its not too late to reply! I love that show, same here, i would carry on and on about how fantastic it is, that my friends look like me like i've just jump out of some monster movie. I bought the whole set of book without telling my mum! So, i'm still keeping my neck clean, its always ready for her....
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Supervixen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I like most of what Takahashi Rumiko comes up with, and Ranma½ was no exception. However I have to agree that it drags around the 5th season onwards. There's only so much static relationship between Ranma and his abusive fiancee that I can take.

Not even Maison Ikkoku moved that slowly. I -was- pretty obsessed with Ranma½ back when it was showing on the telly though. In a lovely 1:15am in the morning timeslot on weekday nights, which was hell on my eyebags. Razz

I still can't get over how Akane seems to be a younger version of Otonashi Kyoko...
sariyana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
i've never seen the show. but i did get hooked on the books when i found out that my broke down libraries actually carried it. i knew i would love it when i read that it was from the creator of InuYasha (which is one of my fave animes). however, if i were Ranma, i'd have to hit Akane after so many of her beatings. that "guys shouldn't hit girls" rule can only be in affect for so long before someone gets beat down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xyne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 is great, I'm collecting all the manga, however still have yet to see the anime, it's so hard to get ahold of for a decent price
animedork2075

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:32 am Reply with quote
This thread is kind of old so i'm sure the origional person who posted it probably never see this reply, however I know how you feel. I'm about to start Random Rhapsody i've seen the first 2 movies translating to about 85 0r 90 episodes plus the movies and still i cant get enough. Glad to see i'm not alone.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This may sound odd, but I find I don't watch most of the anime in my collection as much as I listen to it while I'm puttering around my apartment (assuming I have the dub switched on). Ranma is definately my favorite series to listen to because the dialogue is often just as hilarious as what's going on visually and carries the story across perfectly. Plus, the Ranma dub is very good and I don't have issues listening to it as I do with, say, Saiyuki *gags*. You also can watch/listen to each episode pretty much on its own and not have to worry about 50 plotlines while you're busy with other things.

Even weirder: I'll listen to Ranma while watching TV. I think watching so much subbed video has messed with my head. Unless I'm an active participant in the watching process, I become very bored with TV shows. Hardly ever watch anything anymore, except for "Are You Being Served." Right lovely show and bloody hilarious, to boot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2