• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that could work in live-action films.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution has given the film-going community that anime would never ever ever ever ever work in live-action. Despite the handful of Hollywood's attempts, I believe any medium can be translated into live action if done right. Same can be said for video games. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II: The Movie both proved that those can be adapted, so why not anime? If put into the right hands, it could work.

I apologize if this has been done before. Noob alert.

Fullmetal Alchemist- It has that expansive storyline that could go into a 3-5 film series. Since it takes place in a Westernized setting, we wouldn't worry too much about Whitewashing the characters. I can see Emily Osment as Winry (being one of the few Disney channel stars that can actually act), Hulk Hogan as Armstrong (if he were younger, but isn't that what make-up and computer effects are for?), either Christian Bale or Cillian Murphy as Mustang, and Hugo Weaving as Fuhrer Bradley.

Fist of the North Star- Now, I already know it was adapted once (twice if you count that Korean film), but with today's film technology, you can see Kenshiro's badassery be performed the silver screen without it looking too cheesy like it did back in the 90s. This is the kind of movie I'd see Zack Snyder direct (because let's face it, his only good ideas are the ones he adapts). Let's just hope they actually cast an Asian as Kenshiro this time around.

Any entry in the Gundam franchise- After that drek that was G-Saviour, it's been over a decade, and with Michael Bay's Transformers films, it might be possible to do the Mobile Suits that don't look like they were ripped from an episode of Beast Wars.

Dragon Ball Z- Now, I know what you're thinking, but hear me out: The Matrix trilogy has shown us that a DBZ style fight can be done and look awesome. If they ever reboot it, they should do what they did with The Incredible Hulk and make it a seem like a sequel, but at the same time, retcon DBE. Besides, most of us were introduced to the franchise through DBZ, so what harm would it do to the younger generation of film-goers?

Death Note- Japan did it already, and it was good, though I wish the Shinigami didn't look so cheaply made. DN is a series that can be well-translated, since it's not incredibly over-the-top like most Shonen titles. That way, if the silliness is cut, fans won't miss it like they did with The Last Airbender. I know getting an all-Asian cast would be difficult, so maybe just limit it to the lead characters while the sides like Matsuda and Aizawa be re-named with American counterparts. Also, I'd like to see the Mello and Near arc done instead of the ending we got in the Japanese movies. Yeah, it wasn't as good as the L arc, but at least it didn't bore the crap out of me like L: Change the WorLd did.

Detective Conan/Case Closed- Since DC is very episodic, they would probably do with it like they do with most American comic book movies: keep the basic origin story, but overall change the conflict. One movie, Conan deals with Kaito Kid, the other having him meet Haibara Ai and learn about the BO, etc. If they go by the Americanized dub like they did with Speed Racer, they might get away with Whitewashing the cast.

Code Geass- With its diverse cast, there would be little concern about Whitewashing. Whether you loved or hated the Micheal Bay TF movies, there's no denying how cool they looked, attracting the audience. However, it also has that deep Nolan-esque story that would be taken seriously with the more uptight of the film-going public.

Bleach- I was initially skeptical when it was announced, but we have to remember that WB is the studio responsible for Watchmen and The Dark Knight. With the promise to keep it Japanese, I think this should be a co-production like Kingdom Hearts. Film it in Japanese, have the VAs from the English dub do the voices, and simultaneously release it in both America and Japan. Alternatively, make the main humans Asian (or Hispanic in Chad's case) but racially cast the Soul Reapers based on their appearances (Asian for Soi Fon, Caucasian for Rangiku). If they go by the former, I'd love to see Masanobu Ando (Kazuo Kiriyama) as Kisuke Urahara. If the latter, I'd like to see Jason Schwarzman (Gideon Graves) as Sosuke Aizen.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Hulk Hogan as Armstrong
This method of hamming it up has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations, brother!
Quote:
Dragon Ball Z- Now, I know what you're thinking, but hear me out: The Matrix trilogy has shown us that a DBZ style fight can be done and look awesome. If they ever reboot it, they should do what they did with The Incredible Hulk and make it a seem like a sequel, but at the same time, retcon DBE. Besides, most of us were introduced to the franchise through DBZ, so what harm would it do to the younger generation of film-goers?
The problem here is that superhero movie franchises always start with the origin story and Dragonball's drasticly different tone and lower popularity leave a movie adaptation nothing to work with. The real answer is, like with The Incredible Hulk, to avoid making the origin story a critical piece of the movie and focus on the fights.
Quote:
Detective Conan/Case Closed- Since DC is very episodic, they would probably do with it like they do with most American comic book movies: keep the basic origin story, but overall change the conflict. One movie, Conan deals with Kaito Kid, the other having him meet Haibara Ai and learn about the BO, etc. If they go by the Americanized dub like they did with Speed Racer, they might get away with Whitewashing the cast.
The dub never really felt like it was trying to hide the fact the show was Japanese - the movie might be able to take that "Japan with white people names" feel and make something of it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II: The Movie both proved that those can be adapted

Adapted poorly, perhaps.

Stuff like Dragon Ball Z doesn't work in live-action. No amount of special effects makes that kind of fighting look anywhere near as good or believable as it does in animation. Movies have a hard enough time with Batman/Spider-Man stuff, which isn't anywhere near as frantic or over the top. That's why the only Japanese live-action stuff tends to be dramas.

I'd rather not see Hollywood do anything with these series. Even if you ignore the whitewashing thing, the characters and stories are vastly different from what Hollywood is used to, and they'd have to be dumbed down severely. American and Japanese writing is fundamentally different and doesn't translate well when America tries to recreate or mimic something Japanese.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
If you talk about video games you should recall Prince of Persia instead of those two. Not masterpiece, but at least enjoyable.

I'm not a fan of foreign remakes that usually tends to be somewhat inferior to original work. (Nothing strange, since the remake business concern things already told to be above average level). But even if we take all "lost in translation" problems aside there's a problem that must be named.

Money, money, money- because of that three I'd exclude. Of course there's the chance that the visionary director who will amaze the Hollywood producers with his incredible idea so without hesitation they will give him unlimited credit to make wish come true... well, it will be easier to find someone with fairy godmother. All series mentioned here would require insane amount of money involved without guarantee that it will defray the expenses- remember that it would aim not niche anime fans, but everyone else, all this casual viewers who maybe don't know who this L is but buy more tickets than anime fandom can afford.

In fact things that work as live action are usually done that way- in Japan- but since it concern mostly dramas they are usually under Western fans' radars.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
This will sound weird but I wouldn't mind seeing a live action Slayers adaptation. Condense the first ten episodes and there's a movie there. Dragon Slave - far easier than the kamehameha to adapt {you don'tt have to show Lina learning it for example} but oh so amazing to see. Fireball! Flare Arro... Oh, you get the idea. Off hand but I can't name many fantasy movies that are built around magical mass destruction. And then there's the fish folk...

Heaven's Lost Property: Am I serious, am I joking? It could go either way.

Heroic Age: Kaiju in space; It's pretty self-explanatory.

My Hime: Monters, robot monsters and teenage girls fighting, loving, fighting to love and loving to fight. I'd watch it.

Galaxy Angel: For only one reason; It could go anywhere and be about anything as long as it has its main cast.

Tenchi Muyo: Sure: there's Star Wars but space needs women! And, somehow, it wouldn't be as sexist. It's hard to explain...
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
This will sound weird but I wouldn't mind seeing a live action Slayers adaptation. Condense the first ten episodes and there's a movie there. Dragon Slave - far easier than the kamehameha to adapt {you don'tt have to show Lina learning it for example} but oh so amazing to see. Fireball! Flare Arro... Oh, you get the idea. Off hand but I can't name many fantasy movies that are built around magical mass destruction. And then there's the fish folk...
On the one hand, it seems tailor-made for a Hollywood movie. On the other, I'm kind of scared to see how they'll handle Lina; American movies aren't exactly known for their strong female protagonists.
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
Black Lagoon needs to be made into a live-action movie, i just think it'll be real easy to adapt into one and i think it'd be something Hollywood could actually pull off, especially since it has a much more Western feel to it than most anime (the English VAs fitted the voice-overs better just to prove this) so attracting an audience to it wouldn't be anywhere near as hard

I'll mention Ghost In the Shell as well, i know Dreamworks has the rights to this but i haven't heard any new news on it in about 18 months now and i think its been abandoned or something, but adapting this into a movie would be good too

a good live-action adaptation really hinges on 2 things though: is it Western audience accessible (i.e. is it something people would go to see, even if it wasn't an anime adaptation) and the need to stay faithful to the original series/movie as possible
i think part of the problem so far with adaptations is that they don't adapt stuff the general public would naturally go and see, start adapting some of those series/movies and i'm sure you'll see people going to see them
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
About everything that doesn't involve super power combat, giant robots, magic girls or abstract things that would look clunky in live-form.

Oh, and to add a title myself: Jin-Roh doesn't have anything to stop a live-action form. I'd even argue that the style of the anime already imitates realistic looks and live-movie direction techniques.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
Black Lagoon needs to be made into a live-action movie, i just think it'll be real easy to adapt into one and i think it'd be something Hollywood could actually pull off, especially since it has a much more Western feel to it than most anime (the English VAs fitted the voice-overs better just to prove this) so attracting an audience to it wouldn't be anywhere near as hard

That would kick butt. It is very much like American action movies, so would be a perfect fit.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I think Hellsing would make a good live-action movie, except I can't think of any actor who could do Alucard justice. I'm not sure I'd trust Hollywood but I'd think it would be cool if the British (and now revived) Hammer Films would do it. As for the ones currently languishing in development hell, I hope Death Note makes it. Just hope they don't screw it up.

As for Black Lagoon, someone needs to send Quentiun Tarantino a copy of the show with a note attached saying "Get on it!"
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:

a good live-action adaptation really hinges on 2 things though: is it Western audience accessible (i.e. is it something people would go to see, even if it wasn't an anime adaptation) and the need to stay faithful to the original series/movie as possible

Seeing how Hollywood's made movies based on the Risk and Battleship board games, I don't think your two things matter that much. They're really running out of ideas.

They should adapt anime if only to spare us all from Monopoly: the Movie. Operation. Connect Four. Mouse Trap.

Oh right, that one was done.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
I'm personally looking forward to the Minesweeper movie.

That said, Gurren Lagann really is right up Michael Bay's alley.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Most of the ones I can think of that would be good have been done already by Japan (Nana, Honey and Clover, Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke etc) Generally, I think adaptions of drama orientated series work better than fantasy/action ones. There are things you can do with animation that you just can't with film.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

That said, Gurren Lagann really is right up Michael Bay's alley.

Doesn't have enough filler or cluttered mecha designs for a Michael Bay nor fast editing and shaky cam.

Seriously, even though I like the writing in Gurren Lagann I think the animation itself is one of the major draws of it and a "live-action" Gurren Lagann would be mostly CGI anyway and I usually prefer hand drawn animation.

rinmackie wrote:

As for Black Lagoon, someone needs to send Quentiun Tarantino a copy of the show with a note attached saying "Get on it!"

120 minutes of footage of Uma Thurman's toes while people argue who drew the best Silver Surfer comic? Sounds like Black Lagoon to me.

None of Tarantino's watchable films have any hints that he could direct great action. He's too in love with his dialogue.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II: The Movie both proved that those can be adapted

Adapted poorly, perhaps.

What was wrong with those two? Did you think I talked about Annihilation and the live action SF movies?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3