• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance and geometry.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
So I think most of us know by now that Japan has a thing for love triangles, trapezoids, hexagons, dodecagons, ect ect.

That's all well an good for a complected plot or an overly simplistic harem, but can anyone name a good romance anime that does not have some form of geometric figure in it?

Last edited by ggqt on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
I would suggest you ask such questions here in the future, but to start you off, try Kimi ni Todoke. Absolutely no polygons involved, but it does take the main couple ages to realise they like each other, let alone get together.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah I know there's a question thread, but it's more fun to ask questions like this because I give my thread a name and word it in a clever way.

Anyway, Thanks for the recommendation. It looks really girly and the lips are really strangely shaped, but I'll probably still watch it.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf, obviously. Also the best romance out there, in my not so humble opinion.
There's stuff like Kaichou wa Maid-sama, there's really no geometry involved, just a lot of pretty blushing, and even a satisfying ending. The manga went on, but it's not even worth checking out, pretty much turns into "let's drag this out cause it's popular" bull.
There's... other stuff like Saikano. Hey, there is a love story there. Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
But out of what was mentioned here, Kimi ni todoke did have a love triangle because of spoiler[that one girl who bullies Sawako,] and Kaichou wa Maid-sama had spoiler[that guy who eats a lot.] And Spice had Holo getting a little jealous with some close girls, but also Amarty in S2.

Looking down my list try to pick something out.
Hey what about Ookami-san, I don't remember any love triangles in that, wait no there was that character played by Rie.

Confused Wow they there really is not much.
Maybe Kanamemo if you discredit a lesbian pedophile who goes after any little girl.
And I currently don't remember one in The Sacred Blacksmith, probably wrong though.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Although this is basically a recommendation thread, I'm going to allow it for now because I see the issue of what romances do or don't count towards the OP's proposal as more discussion-worthy than most recommendation topics.

Mister V wrote:
There's... other stuff like Saikano. Hey, there is a love story there. Razz

Not a good example. At minimum there's a love triangle in that one - Akemi must be included, after all - and one could argue whether or not the adult lady (forget her name) can properly be considered in the mix, too.

Actually, the more that I think about it, the more it seems to me that true 1-1 romances in anime are actually fairly rare in romantic dramas and comedies but much more common in other types of series; in 3x3 Eyes, for instance, Yakumo and Pai have no real romantic rivals.

I also agree that The Sacred Blacksmith applies, but again, that's not primarily a romance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
His and Her Circumstances is free of the complicated love geometry you would find in many romantic comedies/ dramas since it's prominently focused on the relationship developments between Arima and Yukino. Some might argue of the brief rivalry spoiler[Tsubasa] had over Arima's affections, but it wasn't a major ongoing element of the show's plot thus I wouldn't count it among titles like Marmalade Boy or Tenchi Muyo that are infamous among fans for their complicated love polygons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Was going to ignore this topic as I typically do with recommendation threads but some stuff here just made me go 'huh?' (for the record, Kanamemo is a SoL moe show about newspaper girls... no romance other than two lesbians and that's barely focused on)

Rec - Short series, very cute, no triangle in the anime as far as I can remember. Warning for adult themes though. No kiddies.
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - Another short series, about two 17 year olds in a hospital.
Nodame Cantabile - The lives of two prominent students at a music conservatory. Though the romance is heavily downplayed until later seasons at least.
Ai Yori Aoshi - A young student in Tokyo who ran away from his prestigious family/clan meets up with the girl to who he was arranged to be married to when he was a kid. Yes, it's a harem. But from the beginning to the end the only two that matter are Kaoru and Aoi. If harem antics drive you mad (and there is a lot of that in AYA) then don't bother, but the scenes with just Kaoru and Aoi alone are some of the most romantic and sweet that I've seen in anime.

I also think His and Her Circumstances is an excellent choice.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The Sacred Blacksmith has a triangle in it, Cecily likes spoiler[Luke, but Luke likes Lisa, and still likes her because failed to protect her the first time she died]

As for Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, I'm fairly sure there was at least a triangle. There was the girl in the hospital and the Childhood friend from school. I could be reading to much into it but the doctor might have had feelings for Rika.

While I'm think about it though. What do we count Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle as? In essence there is some geometry going on, but only if we add in all the spoiler[clones]

Last edited by ggqt on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
From the top of my head, I think can think of Elemental Gelade (although there was a short arc involving another girl), Kobato, , the movie Hoshi o Ou Kodomo, and the recent Inu x Boku SS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kobato definitely had a triangle in it, Kobato liked spoiler[Fujimoto, while Doumoto liked Kobato]

Now I'm not sure about Hoshi o Ou Kodomo I'm pretty sure there was a triangle, just one of it's points died off pretty early.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator: I never really [spoiler]considered Kurumi a threat as I thought it was quite clear that Kazehaya had no interest in herspoiler[ I just never saw her as forming a triangle with Sadako and Kazehaya. I can see what you're saying though.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
ggqt wrote:
As for Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, I'm fairly sure there was at least a triangle. There was the girl in the hospital and the Childhood friend from school. I could be reading to much into it but the doctor might have had feelings for Rika.

Yuuichi's childhood friend was minor in her role enough to the point where she only served to support Yuichi's pairing with Rika. As for the doctor, his role was more trying to distance the two from one another due to spoiler[his own past tragedies mentioned in the final episode of the show] instead of love. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Saga would definitely qualify as another anime without a love polygon of sorts.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
5 Centimeters Per Second, directed by Makoto Shinkai is sort of a three-way triangle. But before watching that, you should see Voices of a Distant Star (also directed by Makoto Shinkai) so that you can compare and contrast the two. Shinkai's first effort, the five-minute short She and Her Cat must be compared and contrasted with Voices of a Distant Star.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Oh! My Goddess sets up the main romance right off the bat and lets nothing in Heaven or Hell disrupt it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2